BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
335educaton
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Good deal on a loaded 135i convertible?

Hey folks,
I'm moving on the 1 forum from the 3 forum because I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I bought a 335i coupe brand new spring of 2009. I've done some minor mods to it: brake pedals, rear spoiler, blackened grills, shift knob, etc. It only has 5200 miles on it. It's BSM and it looks and drives great!!

My dilemma: Before I bought this car I had a 330i convertible that I sold. After 2 years I REALLY miss my convirtible ride. I had the intent originally to get a loaded 135i convertible to replace my 330i convertible. But, people talked me out of it because of re-sale issues. I'm seriously thinking on getting that 1. I'm wondering if I will lose my ass on a trade of my 3 series car for a 135 convertible loaded up. I'd take a 09 with low miles for mine. What are your thoughts before I hit the dealers? Secondly, those of you that have the 135 convertible. How's the ride? My 330 was very quiet and strong. Not a lot of knocks driving down the highway. Hope I can get some feedback. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

It's a great car. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335educaton View Post
Hey folks,
I'm moving on the 1 forum from the 3 forum because I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I bought a 335i coupe brand new spring of 2009. I've done some minor mods to it: brake pedals, rear spoiler, blackened grills, shift knob, etc. It only has 5200 miles on it. It's BSM and it looks and drives great!!

My dilemma: Before I bought this car I had a 330i convertible that I sold. After 2 years I REALLY miss my convirtible ride. I had the intent originally to get a loaded 135i convertible to replace my 330i convertible. But, people talked me out of it because of re-sale issues. I'm seriously thinking on getting that 1. I'm wondering if I will lose my ass on a trade of my 3 series car for a 135 convertible loaded up. I'd take a 09 with low miles for mine. What are your thoughts before I hit the dealers? Secondly, those of you that have the 135 convertible. How's the ride? My 330 was very quiet and strong. Not a lot of knocks driving down the highway. Hope I can get some feedback. Thanks.
You won't regret it. Don't think about resale. In this economy any car trade-in is going to be problem. Everytime I drive the car, I feel extremely entertained. The turbo power and exhaust note is superb even with the stock muffler.

Regards,
Fancyfl1ght
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
studio5
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is Convertible

Garage List
Go for it!

I had a '04 330 6-speed convertible with 66,000 miles before trading it in for a new 2011 135 convertible and fully loaded with the M package too. If you don't mind getting a slightly smaller car, then go for it.

PROS for 135:
Ultra peppy and fast (not that I need to go fast, but it is very quick and quiet) I don't notice that I'm driving 80 and the tach needle would be under 2500 RPM.
M seats are much more comfortable than my 330 Sports seats. Very firm and side supports are awesome.
M steering wheel very stocky and more comfortable than 330.
iDrive system very informative and easy to use.
Convertible top operates more quietly than 330.
Rear seats fold down. Great for additional cargo space when needed.

CONS for 135:
Shorter car. If you have little children, they will have slightly less leg room, as my kids are 7 and I'm 5'9" and the back of the front seats are closer to the rear seats.
Side compartments on doors are not deep enough, compared to the e46.
USB ports will only work when car is powered on. (I used to be able to charge my Blackberry while doing errands in the mall with e46, but not with e88).
iDrive screen can not remain off when starting up the car. It will go to the last screen being used prior to shutting down the engine. This is an inconvenience but you get used to it and simply click options to turn off screen, after entering the car and wishing to leave it black.
Two-step process for closing the convertible top. You need to press button to close the top and then you have to use the window switch to close the windows, whereas the e46 allowed me to do all with one button.

You'll notice there are a few more cons for the 135 convertible, but I personally find the 135 to be a blast to ride and can live with the minor quirks.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio5 View Post
Two-step process for closing the convertible top. You need to press button to close the top and then you have to use the window switch to close the windows, whereas the e46 allowed me to do all with one button.
Not on mine if you hold the roof switch then all four windows move to the up position after the roof has finished its cycle.
      11-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
studio5
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is Convertible

Garage List
Lucky for you Aussies. Here in the states, we can't have that. Lord knows we have enough new rules implemented by our brilliant legislators, thinking all these rules are going to make our cars safer.

I'm sure there is a way to get around it, by rewiring or such. But, as it stands, it is a two-step process to close the roof and windows.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

The windows will roll up after you raise the roof IF you've raised the roof with the key/remote from outside the car. Just keep holding the roof up button till the windows roll up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Private sale of your 335i will probably be best. Only the dealer wins trade-in wars.
I agree!! I wanted a vert... You know the Shoulda, woulda, coulda.... Damn Im kicking myself...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
1999sel
Rep
Drives: Volvo V60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
The windows will roll up after you raise the roof IF you've raised the roof with the key/remote from outside the car. Just keep holding the roof up button till the windows roll up.
Only if you have comfort access.
Appreciate 0