BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Took my 135i to Nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps

I took my 135i to the Nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps at the beginning of the month. To summarize - it was amazing - driven there before several time in my 350Z.

Here are my lap times and GPS speeds from the ring:

I could only make 4 laps, since I arrived really late as our baby was sick.The 1st lap was wasted, since the front was rubbing really badly. I stiffened the front suspension and then went again. The 2nd lap was still bad, rubbing and understeering, but the time was not so bad 8.39. My friend threw up in the car park at the end of the lap

For the 3rd lap I pulled on the front wings a bit and it rubbed a lot less. There was a lot of traffic slowing me down though, like here:

lap time 8.33...

After the track re-opened after a closure for an accident, I managed to do my last lap of the day. It started well, but there were too many people on the track, and I got blocked for the last 1/3 of the track. lap time 8.35 with an optimal time between the 3rd and 4th laps of 8.28...

I think with a clear run it would be possible to go round in ~8.20. With a better suspension set-up (more a lot camber) and more confidence in the brakes (I didn't brake too hard) who knows? In any case it's a lot quicker than my 350Z.

The next day was at Spa Francorchamps F1 track for an open pit lane event organized by the UK Mitsubishi Lancer Register. As usual it was very well organized and we were lucky with the weather which is always unpredictable regardless of the season.

Lap times were fairly consistent, but it was difficult to make a clean lap due to traffic.

This video shows a few hot moments in traffic at blanchimont:
[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzKz4Tns-tA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzKz4Tns-tA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Here I was trying to follow a 964 911, but I had to slow down for slower or faster cars. The tuned Evo X was extremely rapid!
[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InNBWJA5FUE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InNBWJA5FUE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last but one session of the day - the tyres and brakes are past their best
[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFda0k-Bdvg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFda0k-Bdvg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Throughout the two days (including several hours of high speed autobahn driving) the 135i performed well, and the oil temps never exceeded 133 degrees C. I guess the average high speeds on these tracks and the mild ambient temperatures helped.

I will put a few more photos tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Awesome. Thanks for the vids! May I ask what rim/tire and suspension setup you're running with?
      05-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Nice driving, and excellent video. Are you using an external microphone? Usually all you hear is wind noise.

Any suspension work? The car looks good out there. The track looks like a fun one to drive, although there are several tough downhill brake zones.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Nice driving, and excellent video. Are you using an external microphone? Usually all you hear is wind noise.

Any suspension work? The car looks good out there. The track looks like a fun one to drive, although there are several tough downhill brake zones.
I was wondering about the noise too, but it looks like they allow people to drive with windows up and use indicators for passing. Looks like they can go with no helmet too!
      05-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Tuned?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Looks like some OZ ultraleggera's if I am not mistaken???

Awesome runs, what other mods do you have if any?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Wow, Spa is such an awesome track!! There is nothing in the States that nice.

Great driving, that was really fun to watch. How did the brakes hold up? What tires were you on?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #8
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Rims are 18x8 ET40 OZ Ultraleggera with 225/40 Toyo R888 tyres all round. I went with this set up due to the limited choice of rims available that fit the 1er, and the fact that I wanted a square set-up without the need to run -3 degrees camber up front to avoid rubbing (this is my daily driver). I would have preferred to use Michelin pilot cup sport tyres, but at Spa and the Ring there is always a big chance of rain, and I heard that the R888s are much better in the wet.

Suspension is Bilstein PSS10, but no camber plates (I ordered from Vorshlag at the start of April but they were waiting for production to end the whole month). I also removed the alignment pin and added the M3 front arms. Camber was maxed out at -1.1 at the front, and so I just went with -1.35 at the rear. This was what was causing understeer on the day...
Thanks Jeff for your setup suggestions! Due to the lack of camber I was not really able to put them into practice.

Brake pads are Carbonetic C-Spec (same as Project Mu HC+) with Motul RBF600 fluid. I fitted everything just before going to the ring, and had no time to try anything out which was a big shame. When I did my first lap of the ring in the 1er, I thought the brakes were not so great, and didn't really lean on them at all at the ring. At Spa I pushed them harder and found that they are not bad at all. They do fade, but kind of in synch with the loss of grip in the tyres which means in all cases - it's time to stop and take a rest. I didn't put the video of my last lap of the day (which was my fastest) but the tyres are really cooked at that time, and I managed to lock the brakes. I would prefer an AP racing setup with Pagid yellows though In any case you can see that I didn't push the engine (and therefore the brakes) to the max, I was short shifting some times since my feeling was that I wanted to enjoy the whole day, and then drive the ~500 miles home, rather than go all out for a time attack (which was impossible anyway due to traffic).

I also have a SSTT tune.

In Europe on track days you have to have the windows up. It's also obligatory to wear a helmet (except at the ring).
I just filmed with a Canon HG20 camcorder using a headrest mount.

Before I go back I will definitely get the camber plates, and maybe a quaiffe diff if budget allows (and then H&R roll bars).

Here are a few more photos at the ring:

roll baby... this is at Adenau Forst, and if you don't know the ring - you'd be forgiven for thinking I'm off line in the photo - I'm not ;-)

and at Spa:

The Exige with the broken mirrors

Eau Rouge
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Great! Realy want to do the same thing, but do to buying a new house, i realy need to hold back this year. Maybe next year! Got the same tires but in 225.45.17 on mine for trackdays.
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
Schneller!
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi & 2010 X535i

hey CDR UK, were you up at the 'Ring on the 3rd? I think I got a couple of shots of you coming out of the second carousel...I went up with my brand new, bone-stock AW 135i. It was fun, but I sucked! I think I actually first noticed your car (if that was you) when I got in your way and then you passed me like I was standing still! Sorry 'bout that, I'm trying to get better...
      05-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller! View Post
hey CDR UK, were you up at the 'Ring on the 3rd? I think I got a couple of shots of you coming out of the second carousel...I went up with my brand new, bone-stock AW 135i. It was fun, but I sucked! I think I actually first noticed your car (if that was you) when I got in your way and then you passed me like I was standing still! Sorry 'bout that, I'm trying to get better...
Hello Schneller! yes that was me on the 3rd then. I'd really like to see the shots from the mini carousel please. There were a few AW 1er coupes that day, I think I was the only one with the carbon performance parts and black wheels though. If you did get in the way - no worries! Everyone is just there to have fun in the end, and it's best to remember that rather than getting stressed at others!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Schneller!
Private
Rep

Yeah, that was you...I remember the CF parts, but I was REALLY jealous of how flat your 1er was through the corners. It was fun - I just wanted to make sure I didn't cause any dangerous situations on my first out! ...I'll throw those pics up on my Flickr tonight when I get home & post the link...
      05-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
very nice! can't wait to head to the track... but with this heat lately I'll wait till after summer
      05-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

looks like fun!
      05-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Awesome video's and pictures
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Schneller!
Private
Rep

...pics as promised, follow the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfo2lga/
      05-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #17
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks a lot schneller!! If we cross paths again we have to say hello!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #18
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I totally live on the wrong continent. Envious... very envious...
      05-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Schneller!
Private
Rep

sure thing cdr uk...just look for the AW 135i with his right turn signal on...heh heh
      05-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
Rims are 18x8 ET40 OZ Ultraleggera with 225/40 Toyo R888 tyres all round. I went with this set up due to the limited choice of rims available that fit the 1er, and the fact that I wanted a square set-up without the need to run -3 degrees camber up front to avoid rubbing (this is my daily driver). I would have preferred to use Michelin pilot cup sport tyres, but at Spa and the Ring there is always a big chance of rain, and I heard that the R888s are much better in the wet.

Suspension is Bilstein PSS10, but no camber plates (I ordered from Vorshlag at the start of April but they were waiting for production to end the whole month). I also removed the alignment pin and added the M3 front arms. Camber was maxed out at -1.1 at the front, and so I just went with -1.35 at the rear. This was what was causing understeer on the day...
Thanks Jeff for your setup suggestions! Due to the lack of camber I was not really able to put them into practice.

Before I go back I will definitely get the camber plates, and maybe a quaiffe diff if budget allows (and then H&R roll bars).
CDR,

-You should be able to run around -2.0* camber in the front without seeing too much inside tire wear during normal street driving. -1.1 is pitiful!
-If rain is a big concern, the Toyo RA1 will do better than the R888. The RA1 is a little bit slower in the dry though, but not by much.
-As far as the ride height goes, sorry! I haven't been into the shop in a long time and haven't measured it personally. I will be there next week though and will let you know.

Thanks for the write-up and pictures!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 03:29 AM   #21
karlenstein
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

I loved your vids Chris.. and congrats for your last 2 best laps of the day...

It was a great day and i can't wait to go back next year!

With the proper camber plates, larger sway bars and a map tune to the engine your car can go well under the 3 mins barrier I think...

Shall we plan a ring trip for mid-end September when things cool down a bit?
      05-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #22
135ARG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

love those rims...I'm trying to decide between the CSL style ....or the OZ's
it all depends of performance or keeping it "BMWish"
Appreciate 0