BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Tire repair kits good idea/bad idea?

Long Story Short Sunday night I picked up a screw in my left front tire (Winter tire), I had to catch a plane first thing Monday and I will not be home until Sunday when all of the local shops are closed...Monday AM I leave again with no time to take my car to a shop and have the tire repaired. I was thinking about ordering a tire plug kit and fixing it myself (the screw is small and it's near the middile of the tread, of which I have at least 80% remaining). Any suggestions or concerns with plugging it myself? ALso if anyone can recommend a good kit I'd appreciate it.
      01-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Long Story Short Sunday night I picked up a screw in my left front tire (Winter tire), I had to catch a plane first thing Monday and I will not be home until Sunday when all of the local shops are closed...Monday AM I leave again with no time to take my car to a shop and have the tire repaired. I was thinking about ordering a tire plug kit and fixing it myself (the screw is small and it's near the middile of the tread, of which I have at least 80% remaining). Any suggestions or concerns with plugging it myself? ALso if anyone can recommend a good kit I'd appreciate it.
Using a temporary plug until you can get to a tyre repair place to get a plug-patch repair done should be fine. I've used the 'T' handle type of rasp and threading tool with the tyre still on the car.

Make sure you do only use this as a temporary repair, though, the tyre has to be patched from the inside (assuming the puncture is smaller than 10mm and at least 25mm from the edge of the tread).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you know where you might like to get a good plug, I agree with aerobod that plugging from the inside is a better permanent repair, you may want to call them before attempting a do it yourself repair. If they would still "do their thing", then it is worth a try. You might find out, however, that they won't touch it once you put a plug in it.

Is there any way you could leave the car somewhere and get a ride to the airport?

Jim
      01-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I've plugged many tires and never once did the plug come loose or fail. Don't try to plug a run flat yourself and I'm not sure you can even do it. so see a profeesional if your running on run flats. If not plug it yourself, believe me if I can do it anyone can.
      01-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Thanks, I ordered a plug kit and it should be waiting for me at home, it'll allow me to plug the tire which will then be properly patched once I'm back home during the work week.