BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
GMP Performance
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E82 135i, E90 325i

New Release: Ceramic Brembo Big-Brake Kits for BMW 1M from GMP Performance

As a longtime authorized Brembo distributor, we are proud to announce the release of the Brembo GT(Gran Turismo) ceramic big brake kits for the BMW 1M. Brembo High Performance GT Systems are designed to give you the advanced technology behind Brembo racing systems without compromising the driveability and comfort features of an OE Brembo system. GT systems are revolutionary in their design and performance, and no other braking company has been able to offer this level of performance, range of configurations, and sheer number of applications. The GT systems exemplify Brembo's dominance as a world leader in high performance braking as an OEM supplier to a winning partner in motorsports.

We run Brembos on our daily driver Audi A5 and Golf R and are extremely happy with them on the street as well as on the track. We can get you set up with a complete GT kit, as well as high-temp race brake fluid and track pad options. Give us a call today for special pricing on a complete solution. Below are all the details for the kit's components, as well as links to the retail pricing.

The BMW 1M Front Big Brake Kit uses a 6-Piston Monoblock 1L9 Caliper with a 380mm x 34mm Ceramic Rotor

The BMW 1M Rear Big Brake Kit uses a 4-Piston 2P9 Caliper with a 360mm x 28mm Ceramic Rotor

GT systems are revolutionary in their design and performance, and no other braking company has been able to offer this level of performance, range of configurations, and sheer number of applications. The GT systems exemplify Brembo's dominance as a world leader in high performance braking as an OEM supplier to a winning partner in motorsports.

Brembo engineers design each brake upgrade specifically for your vehicle and driving conditions. Optimum brake balance is achieved by combining Brembo's thorough knowledge of OEM braking systems and use of an unlimited range of caliper, piston, and disc combinations. Brembo brake upgrades are easy to install and designed to work seamlessly with your vehicle’s stock master cylinder, ABS, and traction control system.

Calipers
Most OE calipers are of a sliding design, with piston(s) only located on the inboard side of the disc. While this type of caliper is inexpensive to manufacture, it is generally extremely heavy, and inherently flexible under braking, which significantly degrades performance. Conversely, Brembo's calipers are a fixed radial or axial mount design with opposed pistons and constructed from aluminum alloy. Despite being much larger and many times stiffer than the sliding OE caliper, they are also much lighter which benefits overall vehicle dynamics.

The caliper body has been designed to be as light as possible while meeting stiffness criteria.

Calipers are available in the standard colors of black, silver, red and yellow. Dedicated track enthusiasts will want to stick with black as this is the most durable color.

Each Brembo system is delivered with preloaded calipers. Brembo calipers are equipped with unique pad retaining features and sequential piston bores in order to provide even pad wear and optimum performance. Quick Release Pad Retaining System: Incorporates anti-rattle feature (pictured) to eliminate noise and is designed for quick and easy pad changes.

Brake pads
Brake pads are selected vehicle specific for high performance.

The GT-R option
The BMW 1M kit is available in the GT-R option. GT-R stands for Grand Turismo Race and monobloc calipers are machined entirely from billet with a nickel plated race finish to provide both the features and benefits of a racing brake system. This includes improved stiffness and thermo-mechanical resistance which is critical in high-performance applications.

GT-R's twin seal design provides race level performance without compromising the low maintenance aspects of a Brembo OE system. Ventilated stainless steel piston inserts are incorporated for heat rejection. The unique recessed dust seal design provides increased protection at elevated brake temperatures....another Brembo innovation.

Caliper Mounting Brackets
All Brembo caliper mounting brackets are designed vehicle and system specific. They are precision milled from superior quality billet materials to ensure a precise fit and meet the strength requirements of high performance driving conditions. Brembo brackets are also further analyzed and tested to ensure fatigue life.

Brembo caliper mounting brackets are also anodized to provide an attractive finish.

Each Brembo system includes all necessary hardware for ease of installation (please read instructions prior to installation).

Part numbers are clearly laser etched along with an unique serial number (S/N) for each part.

Pictured, are a few examples of axial and radial mount bracket designs.

Ceramic Discs
The Brembo Group has been manufacturing carbon ceramic discs for automotive applications since 2002, when it first supplied these components for the Ferrari Enzo. This high performance material, made from a special mixture of powders, resins and fibres in a complex manufacturing process, has been used since the 1970s in braking systems for aerospace applications and since the 1980s in motorsports.

Since 2000, carbon ceramic has also been used in the production of braking systems for sports cars. In 2004, the carbon ceramic braking system was awarded the Golden Compass prize by ADI, the Italian Industrial Design Association. Carbon ceramic offers substantial benefits in terms of performance - in both wet and dry conditions - weight, comfort, corrosion resistance, durability and high-tech appeal.

A special feature of the carbon ceramic brake discs is the ceramic composite material they are made from and the possibility to add a friction layer on both of the braking surfaces. The core and the friction layer consist of a composite material made of carbon fibers (reinforcement) silicon carbide and metallic silicon (matrix).

Silicon carbide, the main matrix component, assures great hardness for the composite material. The carbon fibers guarantee for high mechanical strength and provide the fracture toughness needed in technical applications.

The resulting quasiductile properties of the ceramic composite material combine the useful properties of carbon fiber-reinforced carbon (C/C) and polychrystalline silicon carbide ceramics. The elongation at break of C/SiC materials ranges from 0.1 to 0.3 %. This is exceptionally high for ceramics.

The entire characteristic profile makes fiber-reinforced silicon carbide to a first-choice material for high-performance brake systems: particularly the low weight, the hardness, the stable characteristics also in case of high pressure and temperature, the resistance to thermal shock and the quasiductility provide long life time of the brake disc and avoid all problems, which are typical for the classic grey cast iron brake disc.

Advantages
Carbon ceramic discs have several advantages vs. cast iron discs
  • Lower weight
  • Longer lifetime
  • Higher thermal stability
  • No judder
  • Higher friction coefficient stability
  • Improved handling due to reduction of rotating unsprung mass
  • Corrosion resistance
  • Reduced brake dust
  • Higher performance

HARDWARE

The coupling between bell, rotor and bushing has been carefully studied by Brembo to prevent performance and comfort problems by defining the correct tolerances for all components and the proper tightening torque.

HOW IT WORKS

During braking, torque is transmitted from the disc to the bell through a fastener called a bobbin. This type of mounting system is designed to allow a specific amount of float in both radial and axial directions. This allows the disc to expand and contract under high temperature which reduces stress and increases longevity of the related components.

Brembo's unique anti-rattle disc hardware utilizes a spring fastener in order to slightly preload the assembly which eliminates the noise generally associated with floating discs.

The floating 2-piece anti-rattle disc hardware system, commonly used in high performance braking systems, was actually developed by Brembo back in the mid 90's.

This innovation was initially engineered exclusively for the McLaren F1 supercar which is why the hardware is often nicknamed the "McLaren" spring.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Each Brembo GT kit includes a set of stainless steel brake lines manufactured by Goodridge. Goodridge is the leading line supplier to OE manufacturers and championship winning race teams worldwide. With the tightest bend radius in the industry and the lowest rate of expansion, you can be assured that every inch of pressure from the pedal is transfered directly to where it counts - the caliper. Goodridge is the only brake hose system approved for use in every country in the world and it's guaranteed for life.

Goodridge High Performance Brakeline race-bred street brake lines are constructed from the finest quality hose, consisting of a PTFE inner hose covered by braided stainless steel. In addition to providing a more responsive and firm brake pedal by eliminating the “spongy” feel that often accompanies stock rubber brake lines, High Performance Brakelines are abrasion and corrosion resistant to stay good looking for a long time to come.

Some info about the brand behind the big brakes...

The Brembo High Performance (HP) Program is the direct result of winning over 200+ World Championships and decades of designing brake systems for the worlds top supercar manufacturers.

Brembo Dominated Motorsports: Formula 1, World Rally Championship (WRC), NASCAR, Champ Car World Series, Indy Racing League (IRL), American Le Mans Series (ALMS), Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series, Speed World Challenge, and FIA GT Championship.

Brembo has a unique relationship working directly with automotive manufacturers to develop high performance braking solutions specifically for your vehicle. You can rest assured that every system designed by Brembo is specifically tuned for your vehicle like no other braking system on the market.

Brembo supplies over 30 automotive manufacturers including Acura, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, General Motors (GM), Honda, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lexus, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, and Subaru.

Brembo uses its own foundries in the industrial process, whereby bringing a thorough knowledge of metallurgy to its design know-how which also creates further synergy in the optimization of the production cycle. The research and development phase is flanked by the testing phase which involves static, comfort and road testing and dynamic tests on test benches.

Brembo brakes are manufactured under quality and environmental ISO 9004 and ISO 14000 management standards which puts Brembo in a league of its own in high performance braking.

Trey @ GMP Performance
Phone: 704-525-0941 x 254
Email: trey@gmpperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
: drool:
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

come on...
you cant put all that info up without a price?
getting everyone intrigued and day dreaming about ceramic brakes we might be able to afford?
cheers jamie
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
come on...
you cant put all that info up without a price?
getting everyone intrigued and day dreaming about ceramic brakes we might be able to afford?
cheers jamie
Approx US$32k.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Approx US$32k.

what?!?!

Instead, Id use that money to buy Dan Parkers powerless 1M and turn it into the sickest soapbox car ever

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

or might not,,,,
ouch lol
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
buy one and put it on my desk if it wasnt that expensive haha.

Those red ones loooks boootifull!

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
SP33DYV
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M + e46 325i Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Approx US$32k.
What?
That's the price of a decent small car!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Got mine installed last week - still haven't sorted out the issue but most like still air in there:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777046

However, when it works on the second press - it is awesome - no noise, no judder, no dust - just pure braking power. Until I can sort out the issues I can't comment on modulation, but thumbs up so far.

PS - if the OP don't mind reading my post and comment on the problem that would be good
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thought I might post up a mounted pic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33DYV View Post
What?
That's the price of a decent small car!
FYI - The GTR version is $42k.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Fucking baller!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Nice price. Effectively the same as the MSRP of a US 1M.

You doubled your insurance or included those as well, didn't you?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Don't forget, in Aus a 1M was $115,000 US.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
GMP Performance
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got mine installed last week - still haven't sorted out the issue but most like still air in there:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777046

However, when it works on the second press - it is awesome - no noise, no judder, no dust - just pure braking power. Until I can sort out the issues I can't comment on modulation, but thumbs up so far.

PS - if the OP don't mind reading my post and comment on the problem that would be good
Awesome! I would love to see some more installed pictures!
Has your shop been able to sort out the braking problem?

Trey @ GMP Performance
Email: trey@gmpperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
No, no, not forgetting that at all. Just an observation, trivia! Where I first put my order for the car, the sole three units they were able to sell in local market during 2011 and 12 were sold at around 134,500 Euros (approx. 176,000 USD) each. That was in Turkey and I assume if any of those three owners (or owners of 1Ms from Singapur etc. similarly hillarious tax system countries) would want this brake kit then it would sound like a bargain to them

I paid similar to US price for mine so I am still a bit in shock

They look breathtaking by the way.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think the key point is a M3 with DCT is 180k US here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Don't forget to mention Australian wages are significantly higher than US wages, but not more than double like the vehicle prices.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Nice price. Effectively the same as the MSRP of a US 1M.

You doubled your insurance or included those as well, didn't you?
Yup .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP Performance View Post
Awesome! I would love to see some more installed pictures!
Has your shop been able to sort out the braking problem?
I will do a photoshoot once I have the suspension done, but probably will get more pics up once I have passed this busy period with work. So, haven't taken it back to the shop yet. The SA was adamant that it is how it should feel, but the manager is really good a just ask me to take it back.

I think what I and everyone else would like to know from a technical stand point is that the MC doesn't need to be replaced despite the larger pistons and the same or less volume is needed when the paddle is pressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Don't forget to mention Australian wages are significantly higher than US wages, but not more than double like the vehicle prices.
Our wages are only higher because the Aussie has shot from 0.48 cents in the recent lows to over parity. We are used to these sort of car prices for many years relative to our wage. What it means though is that most people driving these cars in Australia have a much higher disposal income than say in the US or Europe. I am old school and I don't believe you should be driving a 100k car unless it is just a small fraction of your passive income.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Hans_werk
Finland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quote:

Here in Finland prices almost exactly the same.
Loaded 1M approx. 122K and M3 starting price 177K USD.
Taxation just pure Evil.

Sweet kit anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
GMP Performance
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone!

Trey @ GMP Performance