E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330i versus 330xi With & Without Sport Package - Performance?

01-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #23
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
On this little part of the world never snows, local BMW is still promoting the xDrive being an innovation as an advance option for better performance in cornering safety.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #24
Getagrip
Get a grip. Get Xdrive.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2003 330xi  [0.00]
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the 330i SP ride height is lower by 15mm, but the 330xi SP height stays the same.

Sport Package
(325i & 330i, code ZSP)
Benefits
• Includes wheels and performance tires in
differentiated front/rear sizes
• Sport seats have new adjustable backrest
width
For the first time on a 325i Sedan, the Sport
Package includes wheels and tires in differentiated
front/rear sizes; for the previous 330i
Sedan, this was already the case but with
17-in. equipment.The contents of this Package
are very attractive for sports-oriented drivers;
new features or details are denoted by an
asterisk:
• Sport suspension, consisting of firmer
springs, shock absorbers and anti-roll
(stabilizer) bars, plus polyurethane auxiliary
springs at the front.The ride height is
lowered by 15 mm/0.6 in.
• Sport wheels and tires, as follows for the
two models:
• 325i – 17 x 8.0 front/17 x 8.5 rear Double
Spoke wheels (design #161) with
225/45R-17 front / 255/40R-17 rear
V-rated run-flat performance tires* 17.
• 330i – 18 x 8.0 front/18 x 8.5 rear Ellipsoid
wheels (design #162) with 225/40R-18
front / 255/35R-18 rearW-rated run-flat
performance tires* 17.
• Sport steering wheel, with its smaller,
round center hub, wider spokes (especially
the bottom one), slightly smaller diameter
and thicker rim.
• Sport seats. Adopting a feature first offered
in the M3 Coupe, the new 3 Series sport
seats have power-adjustable backrest
width, accomplished electropneumatically.
Their other adjustments appear in two forms:
• 325i without Premium Package or
power-seats option 459 – 8-way manual
adjustment for fore-aft, cushion height
and angle, and backrest angle.
• 325i with Premium Package or powerseats
option 459 – 8-way power adjustment
for fore-aft, cushion height and angle, and
backrest angle.
• 149-mph top-speed limiter*, instead of the
standard 130-mph limiter.

Sport Package
(325xi & 330xi, code ZSP)
Benefits
• Includes 17-in. wheels in same front/rear
sizes, all-season tires
• Front/rear differentiated wheels and tires
available as stand-alone option
• Otherwise same features as 325i/330i
Package except sport suspension
This Package is tailored for the AWD models’
specific considerations:
• No sport suspension, as in the previous
“xi” models; the AWD chassis has its own
specific suspension calibration.
• 130-mph top-speed limiter, as on vehicles
without the Sport Package.
• Specific wheels and tires:
• 325xi – 17 x 8.0 Star Spoke wheels
(design #159) with 225/45R-17 H-rated
all-season tires 17.This equipment, also
standard on the 330i and 330xi, puts
more accent on all-weather traction and
handling; customers who want the dry-road
handling emphasis may order the same
wheels and tires as are included in the
325i Sport Package, as a stand-alone
option.
• 330xi – 17 x 8.0 Star Spoke wheels (design
#158) with 225/45R-17 H-rated all-season
tires 17. As with the 325xi Package, this
combination emphasizes all-weather
traction and handling. Parallel to the
325xi, the stand-alone option brings
wheel/tire equipment into line with the
rear-wheel-drive model’s Sport Package.
As in the 325i/330i Package, a sport steering
wheel and sport seats are included.
      01-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #25
Jerel56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Just thought I'd chime in as I have a 330i non-sports package. I bought the car in May and couldn't wait for the xi at the time....way too pumped for the car! Anyway, I live in CT and, so far, we haven't had too much snow but, I have driven the car to VT a couple times as I rent a ski house near killington and, I've driven the car in very, very hard rain many times. I'd say the worst snow I encountered has been 4 or 5 inches with decently plowed roads......I've handled everything with little problems and I have been using the original all season tires. The DSC has kicked in from time to time with ice, mud and snow and I have to say it's fantastic as it really prevents the tires from spinning and adjusts beautifully. Now, that being said, when the snow really starts coming down, I'll be using my friends Jeep to head up to VT....but, it's a small price to pay, I think.

Of course, I'm sure more heavy snow is coming but, as long as you drive with the right amount of awareness and ease up when it's appropriate, I'm very confident that I'll have no problems. I have to say that I was very concerned when I bought the car but my concerns have been more than alleviated and I love the car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #26
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep

booya,

I've also driven the 330i and 330xi (I purchased the latter). I've not had the xi above 4000 RPM yet (only on day 5 of driving!) but have pushed it into some corners the last couple of days (usually in the wet, with various types of road surface). I would have to say that the difference in handling is not obvious even with moderately spirited driving.

I expect the real differences would become apparent with DTC off applying significant power in the curves. There is no doubt that the drift characteristics will differ, heck I really don't know what to expect from the xi - but I'll be sure to post it when I find out!

I would add that I have driven both the 330i and 330xi on greasy roads and the xi does feel somewhat more solid under acceleration. But the most amazing characteristic (which I had not anticipated) with the xi is it's stability at high speeds when faced with heavy pooling (water). Perhaps my tires (Pirelli SottoZero's) are somewhat responsible, nonetheless I'd have to say this is by far the most stable vehicle when moving in and out of large pools on the road. Even when previous vehicles did not show signs of wanting to acquaplane, they would nonethless have been twitchy. Not the 330xi.

Note, I would also re-enforce what other posters have said about tires. If you are encountering ice, snow and slush and especially if you deal with significant gradients I would recommend winter tires with the xi. You might also want to consider dedicated winter wheels (and narrower tires) and then switch to a wider high performance tire for summer. I should also add that some of the high performance winter tires don't give too much away in terms of performance either.

I've seen some comparisons of the stopping distances for the Pirelli summer, all-season and winter Run Flats in a magazine and they were significant (also of interest was the fact that the winter tires tested didn't give up that much performance). I can't remember the magazine but I can dig around if you like (they were also comparing the Pirelli run-flats with conventional tires). I also recall they were using 3-series as the test vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #27
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Let me just say that while these boards are an outstanding source of info, they can really promote WAY too much indecision and/or buyers remorse. I know, I'm a victim of it. I read how the XI was .3 seconds slower than the I in the 0-60... I know it sits 15mm higher than the 330i w/sport package... I know its heavier... I know some people hate aluminum w/Terra.. I know, I know, I KNOW!!!!

But seriously, I'm not strapping on a helmet and pushing my car to it's limits. The BMW 330xi is an awesome car. So is the 325i, the 330i, etc.

Just get the car that fits your needs. Like you, I was faced with the exact same decision a month ago. Live in South Jersey & although winters are not what they used to be, I'm still concerned about bad weather driving. Especially when my wife & 3-yr old son are involved.

For the past 7 years I've driven a 3-series, first a 323i and now a 328i. When I test drove the 330xi, my first expectation was that the drive would be immensely different than the non-AWD 3. I couldn't tell the difference, and my sales advisor really let me push the car in an empty business park. I walked out of the dealer assured that the 330xi was my next car.

And then I started reading e90post.com. Then I started questioning EVERYTHING. I had legal pads with pros & cons scribbled down. I even questioned the terra w/aluminum because, well... I read a post that said.... ughh!!!!

A week later I decided to go test drive the XI again. I pushed it just as hard and the thing was just as fun to drive as any BMW I've previously had. Against the better judgement of thousands of posts here at these forums I did the unthinkable. I made my own decision!

In about a week I'll be taking delivery of my Sapphire Black 330xi WITH Terra & aluminum. I'll have the peace of mind that my car can handle whatever weather is thrown at it, especially since I'll have a set of dedicated winter tires.

But wait... did someone say the 335 is coming out???

Arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!
      01-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #28
Thumpzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi/06/Loaded!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya
1) 330i versus 330xi:
I am pretty much set on buying the 2006 330, but am still
undecided between i and xi. I live in New Jersey, so the all
wheel drive can be important, but I do not know what, if any,
performance hit I will take on the xi vs the i.

Can anybody comment on this?

2) 330xi with sport package versus 330xi without:
If I do go with the xi, does the sport package mitigate any
performance issues? My dealer said that the xi w/o sport may feel
slightly sluggish due to the all wheel drive, but that adding the
sport package eliminates that. I'm skeptical.

Does anybody have experience with 330xi with sport versus without?

Thanks!
AHH my friend ...I was in your shoes, 50 hours later on this board, I made a decision. i wish you a quicker resolution.

I have the 330xi w/sp, actually every option except active cruise control YIKES$$$. You live in Wayne, I in Hoboken. You no doubt travel rt 46, parkway,rt 23, 287...One word my wife now screams out in our 330xi POTHOLE. The 330xi with sp/RF tires are bad enough in this area. I have blown 2 sidewalls and bent 1 rim in the first 4 months of owning the car. If you do get the 330w sp..you are doomed to tire damage in this area..period. I can't imagine having that setup in this part of jersey. My dealer has a 545 w/sp and is up to 3 tires and 1 rim in 12 months!

We didn't get much snow this year, however I did drive the 330xi in blizzard on the parkway coming back from AC 7 weeks ago,,no way would I have made it home in a 330i...I saw many 330i,5 series in the ditch during my 5 hour ordeal..I have owned a 323 and now the XI. There is no contest in bad weather conditions, none. I repeat NONE.

I have driven my friends 330i and to be honest notice very little difference if any, maybe a little from 0 to 10mph but my car screams to 100mph effortlessly. Trust me,when my xi got broken in, it has plenty of power and performs stunningly when taking a an off ramp at 60mph. let's all be honest in a metro area you spend your life in traffic. O to 60 stomps off the line day in and day out are not an everday occurence. And either car will get you a speeding ticket if you have the pedal on the right pressed to the floor for 8 seconds. A girl I worked with has a boxter,non turbo and she thought she could take me, nope.

I respect our posting community at large and for the hardcore BMW drivers, they Down play XI's. i understand and respect the argument. I chose what works best for me. I didn't want to have 2 sets of tires for if you get the 330iw sp you NEED snows if nothing else because once the temp drops to freezing, performance tires are unsafe. XI's are great in the rain, tires have never lost traction in a down pour.

It a good car no mater what you decide. I f you plan to drive the e90 come november in NJ. Either get a set of snow/rims for 330sp or get an xi and never worry when to change your tires when the temp drops.
Thump
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #29
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos
Actually, the SP raises the electronically limited maximum speed on all models (according to the brochure), so on the autobahn, you might actually feel sluggish if you were limited to 129mph instead of 149mph.

Round town, SP or not won't affect the 0-60 performance of an XI.

I personally like the steering wheel so will be getting SP...
... Not to mention getting your ass run over if you hang out in the left lane going that slow
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #30
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
Let me just say that while these boards are an outstanding source of info, they can really promote WAY too much indecision and/or buyers remorse. I know, I'm a victim of it. I read how the XI was .3 seconds slower than the I in the 0-60... I know it sits 15mm higher than the 330i w/sport package... I know its heavier... I know some people hate aluminum w/Terra.. I know, I know, I KNOW!!!!

But seriously, I'm not strapping on a helmet and pushing my car to it's limits. The BMW 330xi is an awesome car. So is the 325i, the 330i, etc.

Just get the car that fits your needs. Like you, I was faced with the exact same decision a month ago. Live in South Jersey & although winters are not what they used to be, I'm still concerned about bad weather driving. Especially when my wife & 3-yr old son are involved.

For the past 7 years I've driven a 3-series, first a 323i and now a 328i. When I test drove the 330xi, my first expectation was that the drive would be immensely different than the non-AWD 3. I couldn't tell the difference, and my sales advisor really let me push the car in an empty business park. I walked out of the dealer assured that the 330xi was my next car.

And then I started reading e90post.com. Then I started questioning EVERYTHING. I had legal pads with pros & cons scribbled down. I even questioned the terra w/aluminum because, well... I read a post that said.... ughh!!!!

A week later I decided to go test drive the XI again. I pushed it just as hard and the thing was just as fun to drive as any BMW I've previously had. Against the better judgement of thousands of posts here at these forums I did the unthinkable. I made my own decision!

In about a week I'll be taking delivery of my Sapphire Black 330xi WITH Terra & aluminum. I'll have the peace of mind that my car can handle whatever weather is thrown at it, especially since I'll have a set of dedicated winter tires.
Great post eleven24. You pretty much some up all my feelings to a TEE!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #31
ccornacchia
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI ALPINE

330i vs 330xi

Hi,
I have owned a 2006 330i for 3000 miles w/out sport package and
currently own a 2006 330xi with sport package and the 162 wheels.

The 330i felt more driveable, easier to control, peppier and more fun.
The 330xi feels too stiff, complete chaos when you hit a pot hole and sluggish versus the 330i. The handling is however outstanding.

In retrospect, I should have stuck with the 330i, it was much more fun to drive daily in real life situations, the 330xi with the 162's is a nightmare in rain and snow and very harsh riding to boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #32
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet330xi
... 330xi with sport package and the 162 wheels.

The 330xi feels too stiff, complete chaos when you hit a pot hole and sluggish...The handling is however outstanding.

...the 330xi with the 162's is a nightmare in rain and snow and very harsh riding to boot.
I think you should have stayed with the 158 wheels and saved $550.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #33
irowharderthanyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg

Definitely 330 ZSP with a set of snows.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #34
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by irowharderthanyou
Definitely 330 ZSP with a set of snows.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #35
BMerDRMer
BMerDRMer 2006 330 Xi Man ZPP ZSP CW NAV CA TiAg BlkLthr Burl 18in 162's
Rep
Drives: 06 330Xi Prem Sprt Win Nav CA

Sums up my thinking as well. Monday (the 13th!) is finally pickup day for my 330 Xi at the performance center in Spartanburg. I did select the SP package and the 162's with performance tires. I will swap over to some 17's with winter tires while in Spartanburg, before the trip home to Cleveland. I do get concerned on all the "noise" regarding tire replacements, sidewalls etc.........We shall see how they do with Cleveland's potholes.
      06-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #36
dmitri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thumpzilla were you in Livingston the other day? I have the exact same car as you except mine has tints and i saw someone checking out my ride haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #37
dmitri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

oh BTW, I can reccomend Denville BMW on rt 46...Get benjamin or will tell them Dmitri sent you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #38
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet330xi
Hi,
I have owned a 2006 330i for 3000 miles w/out sport package and
currently own a 2006 330xi with sport package and the 162 wheels.

The 330i felt more driveable, easier to control, peppier and more fun.
The 330xi feels too stiff, complete chaos when you hit a pot hole and sluggish versus the 330i. The handling is however outstanding.

In retrospect, I should have stuck with the 330i, it was much more fun to drive daily in real life situations, the 330xi with the 162's is a nightmare in rain and snow and very harsh riding to boot.
I disagree completely. I drove both before deciding on the 330xi. I honestly could not tell the difference even after very spirited driving with both. It's true you do hear and feel it when the car hits a deep pothole in the xi, but you feel and hear it in the i too. Otherwise the ride is very smooth, the suspension is tight and the car feels solid as a rock and completely planted on the road.

I opted for ZSP with 162's because I love the sport seats and steering wheel and I think the E90 looks great with larger wheels and tires. My car is a blast to drive and to me the power is amazing, extremely peppy and pulls strong in all gears. When it comes to driveability and handling all the things you expect from a BMW are there in spades. You are never concious of the fact you're driving an AWD car. I haven't driven in snow or heavy rain yet so I can't report on how the car feels under those conditions but I'm eager to find out.

Before taking delivery I admit that reading some of the posts here about the handling and the ride height etc gave me pause about getting the xi. But I can honestly say since the day I picked up my car I have never given a second thought to whether I made the right decision with the xi. I can't believe how much I LOVE driving this car.
      06-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #39
Darrel Revok
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI

If I had a place to store a set of rims with winter tires on them and a place to swap them out I probably would have gone with the "i'. Sometime I just think of the extra weight up front and I don't like that it is there. I dont' kow if I can feel it, but I know its there. But RWD isn't really practical for me, and for the extreemly hilly snowy area, AWD is great.

As for the rain. Point the 330xi up a steep hill in the rain. Disable the traction control and floor it. Notice it just launches up the hill as if it was a dry flat road. I drove a WRX for 5 years, AWD is not a gimmick. You should see the traction that thing has without traction control or stability control.

That is not to say the i won't outperform the xi in dry weather any day of the year. Still ask yourself how fast you will be driving on a daily basis and if the convienence of AWD out weighs the few tenths of a second here and there. The 330xi is so fast I often think to myself how much faster would I need to go out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #40
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Right now I have a XI...but in the future, I'll get a non XI with sport pkg, and winter tire setup
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #41
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Im still torn with the Xi... I want 162, I dont want to ahve to swap them out because I have no where to store anything else. I in reality want a 335... AHH.