BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #45
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I dunno about this car. The good thing is the discount, and it's a nicely equipped manual car in LMBlue (the best color..).

The negatives are it's a lot of kms for a demo. Seems too high to me unless it's been in use a while. Find out what the "in-service" date is as that's the time your warranty starts to run. For me personally, I would not like that others have put 7700kms on my car....maybe just me. I doubt they will go for extended warranty, but you could ask. How much is your deposit? Any dealership worth it's salt will not keep a deposit if a customer changes his mind. What about ordering a new one? I would get the dealership to search the dealer inventories to find you a new one, and arrange to have it delivered (it might cost you a bit of extra shipping).

I called the dealer just a little while ago and expressed my concern regarding the excess wear and mileage on the car. I was told the Cars "IN-Service Date was : June 28,2012, and warranty would expire the same day of 2016.

He said the reason it has such high mileage is because it was used as a loaner/company car for the business manager, and that there has only been 1 driver. The car was never used as a test car and that I have nothing to worry about.

I hope I'm not being played here.

This completely contradicts what Webb70 said a few posts above:

Quote:
Budds is 15 mins from my house, I actually drove that car....lol
$2500 seems high for winter tires and rims, but thats what dealerships get I guess....
I think unless it "just snowed" you will be fine to drive home with the summer tires.

Not sure where to go from here. Is there anything I can ask for or any obvious signs to look for that the vehicle was driven by a lot of different people?

I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt but I'm so skeptical after 2 bad dealer experiences. If this was in town it would be much easier, a 1000km roundtrip is far to go.

Last edited by thehalcyon; 12-08-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Well, hard to say if you're being played or not...you can only be the judge of that.

The 7600kms is not unreasonable for a car with in-service date of June 28/12. My own 135i has in service date of June 15 and I have about 5400kms on mine, BUT, I haven't done any trips with it, and we have another car. Also, I personally put every one of those 5400 kms on it.

The discount of close to 15% off MSRP, I assume, is OK. And the warranty is there, albeit only 3 and a half years left. But that's the price you pay for the discount.

What I would do is be prepared to wait, and order exactly what I want. It will be a 2013 model of course, and you likely won't get much if any discount. But you will own it from day 1, and if you plan on keeping it a while, that is worth something (at least to me it is).

No one can tell you what to do here, let your "guts" be your guide. Good luck.
      12-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #47
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I got a hold of Webb70 and he cleared up a few things for me. It looks in fact to me that this car was indeed 99% driven by the same person which is good. They only let certain people drive it in special cases (when the other model was not available for test)

It eases me and makes me a lot more relaxed about this whole experience. I'm sure this SA is fed up with me asking questions. So far he has been very patient and co-operative with the buying process.

Assuming everything goes well, I would gladly recommend my SA, and I'll have a new(well close!) car this friday!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #48
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post
I got a hold of Webb70 and he cleared up a few things for me. It looks in fact to me that this car was indeed 99% driven by the same person which is good. They only let certain people drive it in special cases (when the other model was not available for test)

It eases me and makes me a lot more relaxed about this whole experience. I'm sure this SA is fed up with me asking questions. So far he has been very patient and co-operative with the buying process.

Assuming everything goes well, I would gladly recommend my SA, and I'll have a new(well close!) car this friday!
Seems to be sorting out fine, don't worry over the SA's being fed up, that's his/her job, and making you comfortable will help them get the sale.

You are entitled to ask all the questions you feel you need to. You need the answers, and the comfort.

12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #49
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

One more sleep !!!

Good luck tomorrow, the weather looks good.
      12-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #50
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb70 View Post
One more sleep !!!

Good luck tomorrow, the weather looks good.

Thanks, leaving Ottawa in about 5 hours!

Everything looks good only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is the dealers service dpt. said they couldn't put the snow tires I'm bringing on the car. "They are fully booked" You think for buying a $55,000 car they would take the 5 minutes to mount them. Oh well.

Will keep my fingers crossed for traffic / weather

Last edited by thehalcyon; 12-08-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #51
Captisock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 128i Coupe 6MT

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have dealt with Budds' BMW and although their customer service is better than other BMW dealerships I've dealt with, you have to be very careful with them when it comes to cost of services. The snow tires they try to sell you are a complete waste of money. Get replica rims and tires from Costco.

Also, which SA did you deal with there? I've had bad luck with one of them when it came to doing the trade-in. They gave me a much lower price than other dealerships around the area.

Hope everything goes well tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #52
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captisock View Post
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have dealt with Budds' BMW and although their customer service is better than other BMW dealerships I've dealt with, you have to be very careful with them when it comes to cost of services. The snow tires they try to sell you are a complete waste of money. Get replica rims and tires from Costco.

Also, which SA did you deal with there? I've had bad luck with one of them when it came to doing the trade-in. They gave me a much lower price than other dealerships around the area.

Hope everything goes well tomorrow!
I delt with Dan Stuart, he was great and treated me very well. Would definitely recommend.

I picked up the new Ride today, made a new thread here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779121

Loving the new ride, really like the look of the Le Mans Blue in person... wow!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #53
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
Was the deposit fully refundable in case they didn't find a car for you??

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #54
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Bit of an interesting read as a local from Ottawa...

I bought two cars from Otto's, even though Elite is closer to me, the sales guy I got at Elite I didn't like, oldish sexist guy, my wife couldn't stand him and I can't blame her. Its a bit luck of the draw.

I can see where you and Otto's didn't get along, they aren't there to haggle or go on and on with someone that doesn't seem serious. They want to deal with people that know what they want and will put there money where there mouth is.
Seriously that's a business model and one I standby in my own business , here is my hourly rate, I'm not going to haggle with you on it, it is my rate because I know I'm the best at what I do and I have people lining up to work with me. If we have had multiple talks don't come back after a few weeks and keep going on and on, sorry you aren't serious and I have clients which are.

In any business its a good thing, means they have a demand.

Don't get me wrong they have there issues, trust me I got pissed and was not impressed when I went to pick up my 1M and they had drilled holes in the front bumper for the plate and didn't have my CF spoiler on. In the end they fixed it all and I got the spoiler for free.
Expectations where set quickly, they didn't meet them so they fixed it.

You bought a used car, tells me you didn't want a new one after dicking around with them, me thinks they where right....(again don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with asking questions but Otto's just targets there clients to make money and not waste time).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #55
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Meister_22 View Post
Was the deposit fully refundable in case they didn't find a car for you??
Da Meister, I'd like to believe it was, although I never had to get it refunded so who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #56
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
Bit of an interesting read as a local from Ottawa...

I bought two cars from Otto's, even though Elite is closer to me, the sales guy I got at Elite I didn't like, oldish sexist guy, my wife couldn't stand him and I can't blame her. Its a bit luck of the draw.

I can see where you and Otto's didn't get along, they aren't there to haggle or go on and on with someone that doesn't seem serious. They want to deal with people that know what they want and will put there money where there mouth is.
Seriously that's a business model and one I standby in my own business , here is my hourly rate, I'm not going to haggle with you on it, it is my rate because I know I'm the best at what I do and I have people lining up to work with me. If we have had multiple talks don't come back after a few weeks and keep going on and on, sorry you aren't serious and I have clients which are.

In any business its a good thing, means they have a demand.

Don't get me wrong they have there issues, trust me I got pissed and was not impressed when I went to pick up my 1M and they had drilled holes in the front bumper for the plate and didn't have my CF spoiler on. In the end they fixed it all and I got the spoiler for free.
Expectations where set quickly, they didn't meet them so they fixed it.

You bought a used car, tells me you didn't want a new one after dicking around with them, me thinks they where right....(again don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with asking questions but Otto's just targets there clients to make money and not waste time).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ender. Although I can see your side and somewhat from the dealers pov, I can't say I agree with how I was treated towards the end. It wasn't my intention to waste time, I just wanted to take my time and get the right car.

Your last paragraph is completely off though, so I have to correct you here. I could have just as easily ordered a new car with less options or settled on another new car they had. However I found that the 7500 or so km on a demo was a worthwhile trade for getting a lot of options I wouldn't have otherwise been able to get.

In a different time, dealing with a different SA my experience at Otto's might have been completely different. I just don't think the customer should be jumping through hoops to get some very basic and average service.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #57
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post
Da Meister, I'd like to believe it was, although I never had to get it refunded so who knows.
Ok because I work at a dealership and I know the only way we do that is if the customer places a deposit on the unit, otherwise my managers tell me to go fuck myself...lmao!!! Then again that's in the power-sports industry (ATVs, SpeedBikes, Jet Skies...etc) idk if is the same with cars.

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #58
mr29
Rep
Drives: 4door

ive come to find quite a few sa. are this way.unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #59
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
5. The BMW website has a search option for pre-owned cars, across the country. I've found (and bought) a couple using that feature - it works well.
This is how I found my car. I was all set to test drive a 2009 CPO 328xi and was browsing around and found a 128i at the same dealer! It had just been posted.

I was there at the front door when the morning bell rang and jumped on the car. I had to wait hours to test drive it as it was in CPO process.

128i, 17K miles, 6MT, sport, heated seats, montego blue/savannah beige for 24K... actually I traded a Z3 AND a MINI Clubman in on the car.

I'm glad that car was there also because the 328 was a real dog. It had had its engine rebuilt for some reason; the customer had complained about knocking noises, they rebuilt the engine and then it got traded in. Red flags everywhere.

Love my 128. Try this suggestion; it worked for me!

I do know that Apple, the dealer I worked with, has one or 2 135s but not sure. So does Faulkner in Lancaster PA. You might just have to have it shipped....
      12-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #60
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I don't understand why a SA wouldn't have plenty of time to answer any semi-reasonable question but I would try and be flexible on timing. During the day during the week, I strongly suspect they have all kinds of time. On the evenings and particularly on the weekends I believe they may be busy and may not want to deal with a lot of questions. There is some information, like on a particular car they have, that you have to get from the SA. But I ordered one so I mostly just looked things up myself. I haven't found information from SAs to be very accurate so I prefer to just look it up. But some people prefer to talk about it and the SA should be open to that.

I think a dealership that wouldn't address questions during the day during the week doesn't deserve business. But I would be symphathetic to their busy periods if I had time consuming questions, at least until I am ready to buy. I've also found you get their attention nicely if you tell them early that you are willing to buy if they can come up with the right deal. Conversely, I've also told them when I wasn't and when I would be. It seems to go better if you're up-front about where you are. I've received lots of attention even when I said I was just gathering information but it was when they didn't have lots of other customers in the dealership.

Jim