BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Commercial Sales Gripe

OK, let me vent a bit.

I would appreciate it if all those who run businesses selling stuff on-line would emulate the big boys (Amazon etc) and install in your order processing systems a flag device that alerts buyers UP FRONT when an item you are featuring IS REALLY NOT IN STOCK. I really hate paying my money, planning an install perhaps - only to go back to the website when I have not heard anything in a while and see my order laying there ON BACKORDER. In many cases my CC has already been dinged for the full amount because a lot of you selling here are apparently undercapitalized and can't exist actually paying for your own inventory. I mean come on - this isn't a SPECIAL ORDER - it's stuff you are featuring and trying to sell to ME...

Even in cases where my funds have not been taken - I'm just waiting in the dark thinking stuff is in process, on the way and should be arriving soon.

How would you like to go to a restaurant, have the waiter take your order and then just sit there for an hour or so? Finally you ask about your food and they tell you - "Oh, we're all out of that. Hope to have it again tomorrow..."

No names here - just a desperate plea...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This seems to happen every time I order something from a vendor (though not any that advertise here). The bottom line is that they do not want the overhead of keeping an inventory. Most of these are VERY small businesses. When someone places an order they simply turn around and place the order with the manufacturer. I agree that it's annoying as hell.

The only real alternative is paying higher prices with larger vendors who maintain an inventory. Like most things in life there is always a trade off.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
yea, a lot of vendors do drop shipment, so sometimes they dont even know the manufacturer is out of stock till they go order it for you

i agree that it sux and vendors should communicate that to you the very second they find out
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This seems to happen every time I order something from a vendor (though not any that advertise here). The bottom line is that they do not want the overhead of keeping an inventory. Most of these are VERY small businesses. When someone places an order they simply turn around and place the order with the manufacturer. I agree that it's annoying as hell.

The only real alternative is paying higher prices with larger vendors who maintain an inventory. Like most things in life there is always a trade off.
I fully understand I just think their websites should state "Item not stocked - credit card will not be charged until availability confirmed" And if it is backordered from their source - they should notify you - not make you wait in the dark and eventually investigate and find out for yourself....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
a lot of these companies use the initial group buy money to finance the making of the products thats why they charge first...
      02-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Let me just say all of this is new to me with my BMW and these vendors.

In the Subaru world, this kinda $hit simply wouldn't fly. Sure there were group buys, but they were dead on with their delivery dates. I too notice a lack of general professionalism with some of the vendors for BMW aftermarket parts. And again, with the tough competition there is selling Subaru parts - they'd go out of business overnight pulling this crap.

That said, I also have bought some BMW parts from some excellent vendors on here... BMS, AA, N54Tuning, PSI to name a few...
      02-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
a lot of these companies use the initial group buy money to finance the making of the products thats why they charge first...
I put Group Buys in a whole different category. Standard Commercial Sales from those with websites 'stocked' with category after category of goodies for Bimmers and the E82 in particular who don't actually have the items they parade on their websites and don't bother ever telling you that they are not actually on their way after you order and pay - is what gripes me.

And even the Group Buy mavens ought disclose when they need your prepay funds to get they products built. It would be no big deal to me it that were the case - I just feel I deserve to know.
Appreciate 0