BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

135 owners a bunch of babies?

Was over a clients house today and the guy is a huge German car nut. He has 4 Bimmers and 3 Mercs. We started to talk about the Bimmers I have owned and I told him of my respect for the 135 in relation to his M6 in terms of performance for $$. He agreed but then proceeded to point out that in his dealing with most 1 series owners, all we do is bitch. "Cry like babies" was a term used more then once. He wasn't trying to insult myself as a 1 series owner, but he brought up a good point. Most 1 series owners I have meet tend to fit into this group. Instead of focusing on what a great car the 135 is and why true car guys like myself bought one in the first place, they just complain over and over about the same things. At the risk of being outed, this site is a prime example. There is so much negative on this forum ( Except for the hatchback section which seems to be pretty positive as a whole ) it just starts to wear on a person.

I love the 135 and joined the forum cause I thought others would be on here as well expressing what a great piece of engineering it is for the money you pay. Instead I am usually greeted by the same posts over and over about fuel pumps and rattles and resale value. I get it, the car is not perfect, anyone who knows anything about any BMW will tell you that. The arguement that is always made is that for what you pay, it shouldn't have these problems. I call BS and anyone who makes that statement knows very little about what they are actually talking about. You can run a minivan up to 40K, so it's not a ton of money. Talk to anyone that has a Ferrari or a Lambo. These cars are rittled with problems, yet most people buy them anyways because they enjoy the car for what it is, not every little problem the car has.

Point is STOP BITCHING! We all know that any one of us could be next to have a HPFP go on us, but I wont run on here to post how upset I am and how BMW sucks........... I am smart enough to know that it's not news and nobody needs to log on to the forum just to see another thread about it.

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant and I realize that not everyone on this forum fits into the group I just mentioned. There just seems to be quite a few on here that constantly complain and it just makes me wonder if any car they could buy would truely impress them.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Dude, I love my 135. So much in fact that I am on my 2nd ... nothing but love here ... Best car for the dough ...
      10-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I am guilty so often but a much needed amen!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey 135i DCT w/M

Let me put it this way.....my car puts a smile on my face. Most people, I believe, have used cars. This is my first new car so I know used cars. Let me say, this car rocks. It brings me happiness. Nuff said.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Yes, we do have some:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Raudy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135cv/JB/CR/m-sport/JB4/prem

4 HPFP Still Love for the Turbo

So during the lease of my 07 335, I went through 4 HPFPs. All were taken care of promptly/properly by my dealer. People would say to me doesn't that bother you and I said if BMW treated me like s*&t, that would bother me, but the smile I get when I hit the accelerator alleviates all worries....

When my lease was up, I never hesitated to purchase another BMW, or for that matter a turbo BMW. My new 135cv with the n55 is amazing. I love it!

Good luck and happy driving, when your sad mash the pedal and all worries will be left in the rearview
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
I've been fortunate enough to have very minor problems, I love my 1er and take it for a sprited drive every night around 9 when there is little to none on a back road.

Though this site does have alot of negativity, I try not to let that get me down. To me all cars will have thier share of problems... Deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post
I love the 135 and joined the forum cause I thought others would be on here as well expressing what a great piece of engineering it is for the money you pay
I didn't join the forum to express myself about my car, though I still find my 128i a great machine. I joined it to learn from others about my car. I'm glad people complain about RTF's, resale value, rattles, bad dealership experiences, difficulty jacking the car ... etc. I've learned a lot about the car, and it's saved me a lot of time and money.

If I want a feel good car experience, I drive my car!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

I agree, when are we going to stop complaining about cry babies?
Attached Images

10-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Ya its a great Performance car... But if people ask me what I think of BMW because of they way they have handled a situation... I will tell the truth... Its not my fault BMW just sucks when it comes to problems with their cars....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
kalvar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT All-Black

I whole-heartedly agree with Straight6r's sentiment, and all said & done - this is still just a $40K car that can make a lot of more expensive performance cars sweat (and that's ANY Audi S*, baby AMG, or non-S Porsche); so this is not exactly a $3 Million Bugatti Veyron SuperSport (faster than the Veyron); I just read Dan Neil's review, and that legendary car's almost entirely made by VW - so imagine how often THOSe owners have to be at the dealer's! OK, that's all I can write, because I have another early service appointment tomorrow for my piece-of-shit build quality baby (seriously ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
people always like to bitch or whine about something. that's why this section of the forum is my least favorite. personally my favorite section is the track section where people share their true passion driving their cars. I hate whiners...
      10-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also u only have 19 posts... If ur sick of it now ur in for a rude awakening... It is what it is.. Im not going to sugar coat it... I spent good money on a car and have got back nothing but below average from BMW... I glad some people have had good experiences... But when I went to a lawyer he has more than a couple cases with my dealer.... Sorry..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
People mainly complain about three things.

1. HPFP and BMW's lame response
2. BMW anti-tuner campaign which targets us
3. that non-RFT tires, decent suspension and LSD are aftermarket only
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

I knew what i was getting into up front. it's a great car for the money, and is a nice daily car, with decent balance between performance, size and comfort luxury.

I've never been in love with the dealer experience that's for sure, i sure won't buy a bmw based on its service history and department but because of the car itself.

I'm just about ok with the car now, the tune, suspension and non run flats give me the car i want...for the most part...i'm still going to end up with a 3rd car/sports car, either a z4m roady or coupe....or might even jump ship for a boxster s or cayman s

to me part of the ultimate driving experience involves driving to the dealer for service. if you want a driving experience that doesn't include dealer service buy a toyota but then you might just as well take a bus or taxi...

Joe
      10-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post
Was over a clients house today and the guy is a huge German car nut. He has 4 Bimmers and 3 Mercs. We started to talk about the Bimmers I have owned and I told him of my respect for the 135 in relation to his M6 in terms of performance for $$. He agreed but then proceeded to point out that in his dealing with most 1 series owners, all we do is bitch. "Cry like babies" was a term used more then once. He wasn't trying to insult myself as a 1 series owner, but he brought up a good point. Most 1 series owners I have meet tend to fit into this group. Instead of focusing on what a great car the 135 is and why true car guys like myself bought one in the first place, they just complain over and over about the same things. At the risk of being outed, this site is a prime example. There is so much negative on this forum ( Except for the hatchback section which seems to be pretty positive as a whole ) it just starts to wear on a person.

I love the 135 and joined the forum cause I thought others would be on here as well expressing what a great piece of engineering it is for the money you pay. Instead I am usually greeted by the same posts over and over about fuel pumps and rattles and resale value. I get it, the car is not perfect, anyone who knows anything about any BMW will tell you that. The arguement that is always made is that for what you pay, it shouldn't have these problems. I call BS and anyone who makes that statement knows very little about what they are actually talking about. You can run a minivan up to 40K, so it's not a ton of money. Talk to anyone that has a Ferrari or a Lambo. These cars are rittled with problems, yet most people buy them anyways because they enjoy the car for what it is, not every little problem the car has.

Point is STOP BITCHING! We all know that any one of us could be next to have a HPFP go on us, but I wont run on here to post how upset I am and how BMW sucks........... I am smart enough to know that it's not news and nobody needs to log on to the forum just to see another thread about it.

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant and I realize that not everyone on this forum fits into the group I just mentioned. There just seems to be quite a few on here that constantly complain and it just makes me wonder if any car they could buy would truely impress them.

The first and most obvious thing is that there are simply a LOT more 1 and 3 series owners than there are 6 owners, and especially Ferrari, Lambo and other exotic owners.
So, a larger potential for whiners.

I've noticed over the years that cars like the 1, 3, A4, A3, C series, tend to have a lot of first time "luxury" brand buyers. There is a perception from many of these buyers that a "premium" brand automobile should be MORE reliable than the lower cost Honda's, Nissans, GM's, Fords, etc....
So, they are expecting their "premium" brand to be more reliable than lower cost vehicles.

The reality is, "premium" brand's have the moniker not due to their "premium" reliability, but more towards their inclusion of current technology, better materials, performance, and design.
Education before the purchase should easily and quickly reveal that most premium Euro automobiles do not top the list of reliability.

When I bought my first premium German brand E46 325i, in 2003, I too suffered from an elevated expectation of reliability.
I got over it. Overall that car was pretty darn reliable. There is nothing unique or different in how a BMW can fail or have problems. We just happen to get a bit more of them. Couple that with high expectation, and it's no wonder we have a lot of "cry babies".

My expectation is that the dealer and manufacturer fix the problems when they happen. That is important to me.
Automobiles are complex, and premium vehicles excel in their use of complex technologies, so the possibility of failure is higher. Yes, Lexus is high tech and they are more reliable, no question.
But, they are NOT infallible either, they just happen to have less problems per car, not 0.

My 135i, I still LOVE to drive it, and it brings me great pleasure in driving and owning it.
If BMW improves the next 1 series, I'll get it based on performance.

Last edited by RPM90; 10-13-2010 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

lol some of us have legitimate reasons to complain but its a great car and super fun when its working

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Thank you Straight6r for saying what so many of us believe. There are too many whiners on this site, as shown by the people who are already whining about your post.
Listen, we are sorry your experience is not perfect. That you expected Toyota reliability and the amazing drive these cars have. But undertand this, you are in the minority. Most of us just love our cars, even with the issues. I am so pissed that I saw today some frakking ambulance chaser lawyers filing a frivolous class action lawsuit about the HPFP.
It isn't going to help! All it will do is make the lawyer some bucks and drop the value of our cars.
If you don't like the car, sell it to someone who will appreciate it. Go buy a Camary or Accord. My bet is you will be happier.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

I Already Posted A Thread Like This...

Search: "Tired Of All The 1 Series Whining and Negativity"
The thread wound up being "closed" because some arrogant naysayers on this board could not contribute anything constructive and it turned into a verbal brawl.

Get ready.
      10-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
MITE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6AT BSM

great post and yes this car have problems but who cares at the end we all will fix them and drive with a smile everyday lol
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Thank you Straight6r for saying what so many of us believe. There are too many whiners on this site, as shown by the people who are already whining about your post.
Listen, we are sorry your experience is not perfect. That you expected Toyota reliability and the amazing drive these cars have. But undertand this, you are in the minority. Most of us just love our cars, even with the issues. I am so pissed that I saw today some frakking ambulance chaser lawyers filing a frivolous class action lawsuit about the HPFP.
It isn't going to help! All it will do is make the lawyer some bucks and drop the value of our cars.
If you don't like the car, sell it to someone who will appreciate it. Go buy a Camary or Accord. My bet is you will be happier.
U are mad that a lawyer is sticking up for people and going after BMW for its faulty product.... Give me a break...

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Coming from a 2004 Cobra to this...I have nothing to complain about other than not having 600+ rwhp on tap.

-Jeff