BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

1st Oil change made a difference!

Did my first oil change at 2500 miles. I'm glad I did it, the oil was fairly dirty with some sludge in the filter. The engine is smoother now, especially when starting off. I was going to wait until 3K, glad I did it at at 2.5. Can't believe that BMW would wait until 10K to do an oil change. I'll probably go 5K in between changes. Those with new BMW's don't wait until 10k!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
135iMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 White 135i

Interesting/Weird. I'm @ 6k. I've had to add 1qt so far, but haven't changed mine out. I don't notice any unsmoothness. My SA said bring it back in 15k. Though mine is a lease so I'll follow their orders.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I had mine done at 7500 miles (at my expense, $150) and didn't notice any change in the way it ran.
      01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

my E85 Z4 was notorious for running rough when the oil got old. It was so bad that after i got the vehicle back after an oil change it felt like i got another 20 HP. Thinking that they flashed the ECU or something while it was there or reset it at the very least I decided to change the oil myself the next time. Sure enough same thing. After that i started short changing the oil myself in between their chage intervals and didnt experience the issue. I cannot prove it but i think it is because the oil they use is so thick n the first place. if you take the BMW approved oil and compare it to say a equivelent synthetic oil such as Castroil Fully Synthetic you can feel the difference. The Castroil will feel more like a fluid where the BMW oil will feel like it is sticking to ya. I am not receommending to change to Castrol but I am just using it to compare between. So if the 1series is similar i can see how this oil change would make a difference. I have changed the oil once in it since i got it and since it is primarily the wifes car I dunno if it really made any difference but i do monitor the E89 Z4 after oil changes. Well see if this still holds true.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW1 View Post
Did my first oil change at 2500 miles. I'm glad I did it, the oil was fairly dirty with some sludge in the filter.
Sludge?

I did my first oil/filter change after the break-in period of 1200 miles, but I didn't see any sludge...
      01-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Did my first oil change at 2500 miles. I'm glad I did it, the oil was fairly dirty with some sludge in the filter. The engine is smoother now, especially when starting off. I was going to wait until 3K, glad I did it at at 2.5. Can't believe that BMW would wait until 10K to do an oil change. I'll probably go 5K in between changes. Those with new BMW's don't wait until 10k!
If you are finding sludge in your motor after 2500 miles you have some serious problems. This should never happen, so excuse me if I don't really believe the whole story.

10K miles is a perfectly acceptable amount of time to wait for an oil change in these cars. They run a full synthetic and have 7 quarts of storage capacity. You could probably get away with 15k+ no problem for the life of the vehicle... I know this is gonna spark a huge oil debate but people keep throwing away money on 3000 and 5000 mile oil changes that are just plain necessary! If you're worried about sludge, change the filter every 5k, but dont throw away perfectly good oil after such a short time. Yes you want to change the oil frequently over the first 10k, but after that you're just throwing your money away.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

OP must be running his car ragged if the oil is that contaminated and spent at 2.5K miles. I get mined changed every 7-10K, full synthetic i'm not super worried and I don't track the car so it doesn't see much abuse or temps over 250.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Actually BMW says to do it at 15K miles or after one year, which ever comes first. Thats total nuts in my book.

By the time my car had 15K miles I think I change my oil and filter FIVE times!

The BEST oil is FRESH oil!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
By the time my car had 15K miles I think I change my oil and filter FIVE times!

The BEST oil is FRESH oil!
Which means you're pouring fresh oil down the drain
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Without oil analysis you're only guessing at intervals. Replacing good oil is a waste of time, money, and natural resources. "It makes me feel better" is a lame excuse. It's worth $25 a pop to know the status of your oil at different intervals to establish a wear/usage pattern. It can also identify early parts failures.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

I changed my oil at around 2500 miles and didn't notice any type of sludge like you would when changing oil at 15k+ miles. I just had the usual small deposits of metal shavings and now I had my annual oil service done just a few hundred miles before 5k so I don't know what it looked it but I'll find out once the car hits 10k. I always change my oil at between 1500-2000 miles then every 5k miles after that. You can wait for that specified 15k miles if you want but that's going to be a lot of crap in there and once you get out of warranty......changing the oil is quick and easy, it's always the little things that will make your car leave you waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck.

If you're seeing sludge then either you car was sitting a long time before you purchased it (which it shouldn't because of the stuff they put in the oil), you've been driving the hell out of the car or something is getting into your oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Without oil analysis you're only guessing at intervals. Replacing good oil is a waste of time, money, and natural resources. "It makes me feel better" is a lame excuse. It's worth $25 a pop to know the status of your oil at different intervals to establish a wear/usage pattern. It can also identify early parts failures.
^^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
You can wait for that specified 15k miles if you want but that's going to be a lot of crap in there and once you get out of warranty......changing the oil is quick and easy, it's always the little things that will make your car leave you waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck.
The filter in the BMW is designed to filter out 15K of contaminates, the oil supply is enough that the motor will not use up the additives in 15K, and BMW tested the engine enough to decide that 15K was the acceptable interval. There is no reason to change your motor before then, you've simply been tricked into thinking that oil should be changed every 3-5k because that's what the oil companies told you to do. While that was correct in the 70s, it no longer applies now... Remember, oil doesn't wear out. It becomes contaminated and uses up additives, and if you keep it clean and full of enough additives, is not worthy of changing.

I know many of you out there will continue to change your oil every 5K miles, but just keep in mild when you do, throwing away $750 every 100,000 miles for "peace of mind" that is completely unjustified. Double that if you have it done at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Everyone in entitled to their opinions on oil changes. Its almost a religious thing for some folks. And lets not even get started on WHAT oil brand and grade to use.

My main thinking, is I plan to keep my car a long, long time. Oil is the life blood of the engine. I think oil is cheap(er) than a new engine. Especially when you see how many problems these engines can have with Vanos or Turbos, ect... To me it is just common sense to change the oil more often than every 15K miles(or once per year) like what BMW says too.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I would highly recommend anyone who changes their own oil outside of the BMW schedule, have an oil analysis performed (I use Blackstone). They give a detailed analysis and it will help you determine your OCI based on how you drive. They are great people to work with.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
...I use Blackstone). They give a detailed analysis .... They are great people to work with.
+1 I know this is a religious/emotional issue but if you really want to have peace of mind about your oil do it right. A huge added benefit is the fact that you can glean part failure data from the analysis often down to the exact part. This is the 21st century and with the data made available today there's no need to guess. End of sermon
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
dg1719
Rep
Drives: 135i

When I was a kid...

When I was a boy, oil came in a cylindrical metal can. I would go to Sears or a hardware store with my dad to buy oil. As a joke, he would always ask if they should put the can in the shaker like a can of paint. Quite often a clerk would begin to take the cans to the paint department and he would have to stop them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

The car was a demo so I suspect that it was driven hard on test drives and idled a lot with the AC on while sales people explained the features of the car, etc. That's what they did with me, anyway.

I always do the first oil change in my new cars at around 2500 miles. It's my preference. Future changes will be at 5-7.5k intervals.

I also used Mobil 1 0W 40 oil LL01. I always do my own car work. The oil change was so easy in this car.

My wife even noticed the difference and smoothness after the oil change.

Who knows how the car was driven for the first 650 miles before I owned it. I do drive it easy and careful.

I want it to last a long time and always perform well!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I want it to last a long time and always perform well!
You are doing the right thing by changing your car's oil early. Just think how diluted your car's oil was by fuel during all those cold starts. I bet you had an extra liter of fuel mixed in with your oil. Actually I am surprised your car's battery and spark plugs have not been replaced as well. Those items tend to take a toll when a car is started up but not driven much.

I know some car collectors who when they store their cars... they use the 20/20 rule: run the engine for 20 secs or 20 minutes, nothing in between!

The Best oil is New oil. Some might think thats a waste... but I do not. Especially when I know I will be keeping my car for a very long time. Heck I change my lawnmower's oil more than once a year!
Appreciate 0