E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > this is killing me

08-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Minarets
Private
Rep
Drives: maxima

this is killing me

i am really killing myself over this stuff. i love all 3 of these cars, but for different reasons.
and i hate to be that guy who doesnt have an e90 on the e90 boards talking about other cars and such...but all 3 i could see me driving in a a years time.

Acura TL
Infiniti G35
BMW 330i

they all do somthing that the other cant claim or do.
the TL is the best interior in its class. good looks and awsome interior makes it very lovely...however, it is FWD, but a good value

the G35 is another great value and has the "fun" factor that the TL lacks in driving, but cant make up for the loss on the "cool" interior. avg stereo is dissappointing, but again, the fun factor in driving almost makes that a moot point.

the BMW is more of a jack of all trades, and for that you pay more $ it does nothing the best (with the exception of handling imo.), imo, but does everything really well--thus the premium.

i really want it all, and a good value!
there are days i say, i can sacrifice the drive for all the interior goodies...then days i say, i dont need an awsome stereo (which i want real bad) when the driving is this much fun...and others where i say, i want it all, i should get the BMW, but i dont want to pay the arm and the leg, just the leg....

then i look at the world of fuel. the Acura does pretty well. less HP and FWD and other things lead to decent mpg. the G35 almost scares me. i get a great deal with employee pricing on the G which makes it evermore tempting, but with reading some get 22-25 on the highway, im not that impressed...especially since i do 90% highway driving...then again the BMW i have read some getting into the 30mpg ranges on the highway. for a performance sedan that handles as well as it does, that actually excites me.

whatever my next car is, will prolly be around for 7 or so years. i will prolly put 125,000 miles on it...relaibility then comes into play...yadda yadda..sorry to bore people.

did anyone else make them self sick over this decision? i am 24 and dont have tons at my disposal. i am not saying i cannot afford this, but i am in no postion like some more well established people to own 3 or 4 cars or buy thi today then a M3 tom...

i am one sick puppy
i hate this.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Hey the decision is tough. I was looking at Lexus IS 300 before I saw what the new E90s would look like. However, in my opinion, I don't think you can get a better car than the BMW. Just my opinion of course, but I think BMW has the best styling, best MPG, BEST handling and performance--a standard that BMW sets, and the optional $1200 Logic 7 sound system is absolutely stunning!

I don't have to tell you which way I think you should go, but the best way is to test drive all your prospects, and make your own decision.

P.S. the E90 has a MPG meter that usually reads 50 mpg when idle, the it goes down to 12 mpg when you acclerate. Then when you level off to a normal speed, it goes to about 20 city, 30 on the highway. But this is a true story: sometimes on the highway I have seen 50+ miles per gallon. Still don't know how accurate this is, but it's pretty cool whenever I see this!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Minarets
Private
Rep
Drives: maxima

well that is the other problem...i have driven all extensively. that is what makes it even tougher.
i am a biiiiiiig music buff, so that is another sticker for me.

and with gas only going up and no relief in site, it scares me too. the better mpg i can find the better
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

I checked out the Nissan GS35 sedan and coupe, and the Honda TL ... yeah a little cheaper, but after sitting in an E90 the car made the decision for me.

Imagine yourself in the car 3 years from now, 5 years from now. Any regrets about not getting the car you didn't choose?

Think of yourself in your mid 30s. Do you imagine saying 'back when I got my first Nissan' or.... 'back when I got my first BMW'.

Good luck with your choice.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets
and with gas only going up and no relief in site, it scares me too. the better mpg i can find the better
Hey how do you think I feel? I just made a pretty heavy investment with my E90 and who knows...maybe gasoline engines will be obsolete by this time next year!

I'm not saying they'll come out with an alternative fuel that soon, but with gas at such a premium (no pun intended)...well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Three years ago I test drove a G35 and instead bought a 3-year old 328i.

The bimmer is the drivers car. Check out the comparison at www.automobilemag.com .

My good friend has a TL. He says he likes it, doesn't love it. The tires are easy to squeal, and there are rattles everywhere.

Easy decision to go with the E90. The hard one is to go 325i or 330i!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

here's something to think about

imagine your purchase 4-5 years later

look at a 5 year old infiniti or lexus or acura
they look far more dated than their european counterparts

I was driving the other day and saw a grey E36 (probably a 1993) and was thinking to myself "damn that car looks good"

when was the last time a 12 year old japanese car looked good?????

it's a reason you can save money and buy a used BMW and still have a nice looking car. A BMW has a much longer time that it will look nice while most japanese cars date quickly as newer models make them look dated
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

hey minarets,

asking for answers on the e90 board is going to give you a very biased opinion. most of us drive the e90 and we are 1 eyed supporters of the marque.

you really need to decide for yourself based on your priorities and requirements.

for me, nothing else exists. i have been buying new 3 series bmws since 1992 and they just keep getting better with each nw model/shape release.

as for fuel, no matter what 6 cylinder car you end up with, the consumption is gng to vary from poor in very heavy city traffic to very good on the highway.
gas/petrol is a must have item if you drive a car, so agonising over differences between mileage figures is not an issue. those fantastic figures you read/hear about are in most probability fictitious unless you do 90% highway driving.

keep on test driving the cars you like until you can make your decision. for me the e90 325 was a no brainer and i put my deposit down in february. what a truly magnificent car.

good luck with your decision .
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

TL is a great car for the money I was thinking of getting one, but after having a BMW I felt it was a huge step backwards. G35, I am not a fan at all.

If you are really worried about money get a TL as long as you are going to keep it a long time. They take a big hit the 1st few years much more then a BMW.

If you want to keep it 4yrs or so go with the BMW. In the end the BMW will hold more value and it will make it easier to pay for your next car.

Good luck and check out edmunds ture cost to own this may help you out.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Don't kill yourself, buy the either the TL or G35. (But do yourself a favor and stop by the TL board to see what kind of problems they are having). If you've driven all three cars and still can't make up your mind then I would suggest NOT getting the BMW. The BMW offers driving dynamics that the other 2 can't touch, and if you can't feel the difference, there is no need to put down the extra $$.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Don't kill yourself, buy the either the TL or G35. (But do yourself a favor and stop by the TL board to see what kind of problems they are having). If you've driven all three cars and still can't make up your mind then I would suggest NOT getting the BMW. The BMW offers driving dynamics that the other 2 can't touch, and if you can't feel the difference, there is no need to put down the extra $$.

Danny
Good point!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #12
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Here is one link to the TL problems. Keep in mind before this purchase, all my cars were Japanese brands, so I provide this only as information purposes only, no bashing, because as you know from this board, BMW is not without it's own problems.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

My opinion:
G35 interior is hideous
TL is boring
Get the 3

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #14
borahatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

IMHO, you should really only consider the E90 and the '06 G35. The TL to me seems kinda of boring. The G35 is going to be a faster car and in general more fun to drive. (as is the case between my '03 G35 Coupe and my sister's E90) But my interior is dated and cheap (improved in the '05-'06) compared to my sister's. And yes, the stereo (8-speaker Bose) in my G is a joke. However, my sister's E46 HK sound system didn't seem any better. You can always swap speakers later on down the road (that's what I did). The E90 is a damn fine looking car but its hard to beat the sexy lines of the G Coupe. My car gets more stares than my sister's lol. Anyway, I think either way you really can't go wrong. G35 or E90, let us know!
Tint
20" Axis Mods/Nitto 555 245/35 front 275/30 rear
Injen CAI
DVD player
Savv mirror with 5 inch LCD monitor
5.8 inch Phoenix Gold headrest monitors
White LED interior bulbs
White LED lic plate bulbs
LED rear turn signals
Sidemarker blinker mod w/ Amber LED
More to come!
My G
Myspace
Sister's car: 2006 Monaco Blue 330i, Sport, Premium, iDrive, Steptronic , Active Steering, Comfort Access, Chrome stlye: 162, Tint
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

If you like to drive, get the BMW. I had my TSX for a year and am so sick of it because I hate driving it. It is so boring and it feels like a huge bus, and it is a more fun car to drive than the TL so I can't even imagine being stuck with one of those.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
NaTuReB0Y