BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
Andy181
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport

Dinan stage II and reliability

Hey Guy,

I Just picked up my first BMW 135i and I know this has probably been posted on here many times, so don't beat me up on it. I am looking to upgrade the exhaust with the BMW PE and a Dinan stage 2. I am looking to get the Stage 2 done first as it's reasonably priced here in Canada and shop around to get a deal on the exhaust, as I was quoted $1600 and i think I am seriously getting ripped off on it from dealer. My main concern is reliability with stage 2, and was wondering if anyone has had any major issues with it?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:46 AM   #2
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Hey Andy, are you still under warranty? If not, I went from my Dinan S2 to MHD S1 93+FMIC OTS map and found the response as well as gas mileage to be a lot better. It is also a huge plus to be able to monitor and log the car.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
Andy181
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport

I am not under warranty, that's why I am trying to be careful with what mods I go with to keep from visiting the dealer or starting to replace stuff right off the get go.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:52 AM   #4
heist_tub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Crimson Red

Honestly I would not go Dinan since you're out of warranty, a lot better options that are cheaper. You can get a very conservative protune if reliability is your main concern. Or just stick to intake/exhaust and call it a day. And yes that is damn pricey for a PE.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I have the Dinan S2, largely because it is really the only flash option available for the 2012+ N55.
It works flawlessly. I have had it for about 17k miles now and I love it.
There are tunes (mainly piggyback) that will give you more power, but there is no such thing as more power without increased risk of additional wear and tear and potential failure. So, the Dinan S2 is in the moderate category, with the PPk on the conservative end and full-blown JB4 max "I don't care about longevity, just more boost" on the aggressive end.
I like the install-it-and-forget-it convenience of the Dinan. Every day on here I see people tinkering with their JB4 and "I got this code or that code, what do I do?" (By the way, if you are planning full-bolt-on (FBO), JB4 is probably your best option - it's the Cadillac of piggybacks).
Everybody I know who has the Dinan has had zero problems, zero codes, zero failures. Sure there are more powerful options, but at what cost? My car is my only car and my daily driver, so reliability is paramount above track days or "I smoked a 5.0 light to light".
FWIW, Dinan provides a 2 year warranty on their install. Who else does that?
I'm not a paid employee, spokesperson, or fanboy - just a very satisfied customer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
AREII
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

$1600 for the PE is pretty expensive. I ordered mine off eBay from a dealership on the east coast (US) for $850 and talked a local dealer into installing it for $100. There is one listed for $899 currently.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

I can't speak to the cost of the PE - mine was port installed by the previous owner. What I can say is that it sounds amazing when broken in (mine came pre-broken in).

Just make sure you get the Y-pipe with it (resonator delete). It is a standard part, but some don't get it or choose not to install it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Point one is Dinan only subsidies the current warranty that BMW offers. Since you are out of warranty, Dinan will not cover any parts except software installs and honestly it isn't that reliable as you think. I had many issues that came after my warranty with my Dinan tune, due to the fact it is still running higher than stock boost. Do you know if the original owner had any modifications at all? If you just recently picked up your 135i, it should come with at least a 3 month warranty, whereas I would have them check the oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket and turbo gaskets for leaking. As well the turbos/ waste gate and water pump. What I found interesting is my MHD tune has better boost managing than my Dinan. Regarding the PE I would wait for second hand as the prices drop considerably. If you want hear what it sounds like in person feel free to give me a shout.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb
Point one is Dinan only subsidies the current warranty that BMW offers. Since you are out of warranty, Dinan will not cover any parts except software installs and honestly it isn't that reliable as you think. I had many issues that came after my warranty with my Dinan tune, due to the fact it is still running higher than stock boost. Do you know if the original owner had any modifications at all? If you just recently picked up your 135i, it should come with at least a 3 month warranty, whereas I would have them check the oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket and turbo gaskets for leaking. As well the turbos/ waste gate and water pump. What I found interesting is my MHD tune has better boost managing than my Dinan. Regarding the PE I would wait for second hand as the prices drop considerably. If you want hear what it sounds like in person feel free to give me a shout.
I think Dinan changed their warranty policy somewhere along the way from what you got.
When I had mine installed, I had one year left on the factory warranty before CPO kicked in (which it will this April). They said that for not new car installs like mine, they just give a two year warranty regardless of how far into the factory warranty you are. It may be different if you are beyond all BMW warranty, but I have a two year on mine, one year of which is concurrent with factory warranty and one year of which is concurrent with my CPO warranty.
Maybe it helps that my Dinan dealer is also my BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I have the PE and I'm pretty happy with it. It has a nice tone and isn't as loud as some of the more wilder exhausts for the 1 series. I also have PPK, and the tone of the PE plus the pops and crackles of PPK are a great combo IMO.

I've been considering Dinan S2 for a while now (seems like years), and I've recently been informed that my local Dinan authorized BMW dealer has terrible customer relations, so won't be going there any time soon.

Procrastinating...
      02-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #11
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

I love my Dinan stage 2 & BMW PE. Last year was my first season with it. Had an absolute awesome time with it. No issues. Just get in and drive. I also have a local BMW dealership (Thompson BMW) who has a lot of experience with Dinan. Their support & customer service has been amazing. The Performance service team at the dealership is def performance focused & able to answer questions & provide advice regarding performance on these cars. Can't wait to get the car out of storage. Might be moving to Stage 3 in March. Would def recommend Dinan & PE.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0