BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Need Help: CSL style trunk with best fitment

Hi guys. Quite interested with CSL style trunk that makes the car looks really different. The problem is I heard from some people that its quite hard to find one with perfect fitment. Is that true? I know some brands like Seibon and Slek. Can you guys give me recommendation about the best CSL trunk?

Really appreciate comments and opinions guys. Personal experience will be perfect to me. Please tell me the brand and where did you get it.

Thanks guys!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I have a Seibon OEM style CF trunk (not CSL sorry). Fitment is decent. It seals very well, and around the edges there isn't much of a gap at all. The one two issues are that up towards the windshield, the edges of the trunk start to recess downwards, so that the edge of the car itself is slightly higher and uneven compared to the top edges of the trunk. Doesn't affect it in any way except it looks a little weird. Nobody has noticed this except me, though, so I don't care. Also, there is a hole for the keyhole enclosure... but most cars built after a certain date don't have a keyhole.. so you're going to have a small hole in a location that you can't normally see. Even for cars that do have a keyhole, there is a piece of fiberglass reinforcement that kinda blocks the hole so you can't install the damn thing anyway. Kinda weird. But.. other than these minor issues, fitment is 9/10. No big or uneven gaps anywhere, and everything is symmetrical.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I have a Seibon OEM style CF trunk (not CSL sorry). Fitment is decent. It seals very well, and around the edges there isn't much of a gap at all. The one two issues are that up towards the windshield, the edges of the trunk start to recess downwards, so that the edge of the car itself is slightly higher and uneven compared to the top edges of the trunk. Doesn't affect it in any way except it looks a little weird. Nobody has noticed this except me, though, so I don't care. Also, there is a hole for the keyhole enclosure... but most cars built after a certain date don't have a keyhole.. so you're going to have a small hole in a location that you can't normally see. Even for cars that do have a keyhole, there is a piece of fiberglass reinforcement that kinda blocks the hole so you can't install the damn thing anyway. Kinda weird. But.. other than these minor issues, fitment is 9/10. No big or uneven gaps anywhere, and everything is symmetrical.
Nice! I will think about it since Lutz Performance is having a promo for Seibon CSL trunk and hood. Overall, do you satisfy with it? Does it transform the looks of your car?
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
SLeK has the best fitment for the trunk out there for our cars.

I've seen the Seibon's in person and the fit isn't very good on the ones I've seen. You basically take a big risk hoping that the one made in China that arrives at your door has good fitment.

Where as all the SLeK stuff is made here in California so the quality control is higher.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's a couple pics I took a while ago (sorry can't get better new pics right now).

First is just a general pic of the trunk and the weave. Weave isn't the greatest, but I got this trunk HEAVILY discounted so I don't even care.

This next picture just shows what I'm talking about with the edges being recessed. It's completely symmetrical and even on both sides, and nobody but me has noticed it. Not even the guy that was helping me install the trunk.

Since it's an OEM style trunk and not a CSL style, though, it looked very plain without a spoiler. I added an ABS performance style spoiler painted to match the OEM BSM paint. I think it looks great...

You can also see the fitment in this pic of the spoiler:

edit- FWIW the weave on the trunk def isn't perfect, but I don't suspect that's the norm. My seibon hood is not quite as bad as the trunk seems in these pics, and the trunk's weave is accentuated in pics vs in person. Overall, the trunk looks good. If you're not looking for the crooked weave, you won't really see it. Also, there's no gaps between the weave, either, which I see on some no-name Chinese CF, and the top surface of the trunk lid is much better, than the rear which has some crooked spots. I have a feeling the reason I got this trunk so cheap was partly due to the original owner not really digging the CF weave, but I can vouch that Seibon quality, while not perfect, is normally better than what you see above for the trunk.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 04-08-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Looks good though even though just oem style in CF. By the way, any idea where can I get slek CSL trunk? At first I was thinking about doing just BMW CF performance spoiler but Seibon offers a price for CSL style that not too different compared to BMW CF spoiler.

Also, how does your trunk feel? It is lighter but does it become less rigid?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Looks good though even though just oem style in CF. By the way, any idea where can I get slek CSL trunk? At first I was thinking about doing just BMW CF performance spoiler but Seibon offers a price for CSL style that not too different compared to BMW CF spoiler.

SLeK you can get it directly from HP Autowerks or contact SLeK through their Facebook page and you can say Philip with the 135i sent you.

I have the double sided trunk so it's extremely light, basically opens by itself if you just slightly lift it with your pinky a tiny bit and then the shocks continue to open it for you by themselves since it's so light. I've slammed it hard multiple times and no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post

SLeK you can get it directly from HP Autowerks or contact SLeK through their Facebook page and you can say Philip with the 135i sent you.

I have the double sided trunk so it's extremely light, basically opens by itself if you just slightly lift it with your pinky a tiny bit and then the shocks continue to open it for you by themselves since it's so light. I've slammed it hard multiple times and no problems.
Okay, sounds good to me. I will probably get just the one side carbon. Good to know your personal experience Philip! Thank you for helping me out. I will contact them as soon as I can.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks!

Even with one sided carbon, I needed to take out one shock because it would catapult up... With just the other shock in, it still feels super light, but sturdy. Seibon reinforces the CF with fiberglass and it feels rigid while staying pretty light. I just try not to slam it, but even if I do, it's solid.

Slek is great quality. When I bought my hood, they didn't exist. And the trunk, as mentioned, I got a killer deal on. I'm still not sold that the price difference for double sided which Slek offers is worth it if you're not taking out seats, etc and really serious about losing weight for the track, but there's no denying Slek is top quality while Seibon is good... better than Scopione, in my opinion since I have their diffuser, and definitely better than JPCarbon and all those other China ones.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Kdiddy007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: *135i N55 Msport*

Checkout iCarbon. I got their CSL trunk last year and the fitment is literally Perfect and the weave is flawless. Slek is just as good/next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdiddy007
Checkout iCarbon. I got their CSL trunk last year and the fitment is literally Perfect and the weave is flawless. Slek is just as good/next best thing.
+1. I have an icarbon and fitment is better than any other brand Cf trunk I have seen for our e82s. Icarbon is a dead company so you will have to find one on the used market. If you need new, I would recommend Slek or Vorsteiner.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdiddy007
+1. I have an icarbon and fitment is better than any other brand Cf trunk I have seen for our e82s. Icarbon is a dead company so you will have to find one on the used market. If you need new, I would recommend Slek or Vorsteiner.
Yeah, too bad icarbon is dead. What type of vorsteiner that you are talking about? How much does it cost? I know Vorsteiner is no joke by any mean so I should expect something in region of 2K. Am I right?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Not sure if anyone has any experience fitting this one?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=83920844175
the price is similar to slek so fitment would have to be pretty bloody good to buy it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Not sure if anyone has any experience fitting this one?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=83920844175
the price is similar to slek so fitment would have to be pretty bloody good to buy it
Price has nothing to do with quality. That's a VIS product, all the stuff they make is in China but they like to charge none china prices on some stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Price has nothing to do with quality. That's a VIS product, all the stuff they make is in China but they like to charge none china prices on some stuff.
i know it doesnt, what I meant was theyre pricing themselves into direct competition with slek and revozport so their fitment would have to be really good to compete
Appreciate 0