E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I need your Help.. Cloth Sports seats or half leather normal seats

06-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i MSport

Half Leather or Sun Roof??

As you guys can tell from my post below this one, I have ordered a 320I SE with Half leather.... BUT Im now thinking of canhging my order andgoing with a sunroof instead and having cloth seats..........

Obviously you are all saying why not just get Leather..... Simple answer is cost....

The 320I SE with half leather is exactly £23000

and thats how much my bank has aproved, Leather would be almost an extra £1000......
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

You dont need any leather in the UK...Go with the sunroof....When we get the little sun we DO get, youll wish you had it..And it means a lot more for resale value than leather does...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

hmmmmm.....

Thanks, for the reply. I just have issues with owning a BMW with out any leather..... I have never had a BMW without leather back in South Africa... It just dont feel right
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo5521
You dont need any leather in the UK...Go with the sunroof....When we get the little sun we DO get, youll wish you had it..And it means a lot more for resale value than leather does...
Sorry, I'd say the precise opposite.....these days UK Buyers are used to getting air-con and the fashion for sunroofs has gone. Therefore the value will be in the half-leather (which will be a notable "extra").

Sheer coincidence that I am getting it........
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Have you seen it?

Chrisbin,
have you seen the half leather option. I have pretty much orderd it "blind"..... I have seen it in the brochure, but thats not the same... Dagnamitm I wish I could just get the full leather......
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

trading in the TVR

Chrisbin,

you trading in the TVR for the E90? :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 03:54 AM   #7
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin
Sorry, I'd say the precise opposite.....these days UK Buyers are used to getting air-con and the fashion for sunroofs has gone. Therefore the value will be in the half-leather (which will be a notable "extra").

Sheer coincidence that I am getting it........
LOL...Good point..I probably should have asked, but what IS half leather? Is it leatherette, or actually half cloth, and half leather?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #8
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo5521
LOL...Good point..I probably should have asked, but what IS half leather? Is it leatherette, or actually half cloth, and half leather?
yeh the sides and front are leather and the middle is cloth...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
Gnosis
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i on order :-)

Ok - I have a bit of experience here so hear me out.

Actually... I wouldn't order a sunroof. It's not in the fashion and the BMW E90 is not the right car for it.

As for the seating problem... I would make sure to get the sport seats first! They are much more comfortable than the standard seats. Sport seats with cloth on them will look and feel good.

If you feel that you "must have leather". Then the "sensatec" option (leatherette in the US) is very affordable! It's what I have on order and some people even think it looks nicer than real leather. It's a real bargain.

So - sport seats with leatherette is my recommendation. It will set you back a little more than just the cloth/leather seats. But try and fit it into the budget... And if you can't - just take sport seats with cloth or standard seats with sensatec (leatherette).

So here's what I would choose if I were in your position (1 is the most expensive - 3 is the least expensive):

1. Sport seats with sensatec (black is best when you choose sensatec)
2. Sport seats with cloth (any colour you prefer)
3. Standard seats with sensatec (yes - black)

Last edited by Gnosis; 06-02-2005 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: '06 325i SE Coupe

My 320 has the half leather (again due to cost - that and I dont need to worry about freezing my ass off in winter or sticking to the seat in summer ) and it is a nice finish.

My wife wanted a sunroof and we thought about it but to be honest whats the point?? You get air conditioning which is better than warm air coming in through your sunroof.

I say stick to the half leather - you wont regret it.
      06-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbhoy
My 320 has the half leather (again due to cost - that and I dont need to worry about freezing my ass off in winter or sticking to the seat in summer ) and it is a nice finish.

My wife wanted a sunroof and we thought about it but to be honest whats the point?? You get air conditioning which is better than warm air coming in through your sunroof.

Kev,

Have you got standard or sport seats? do you by any chance have any photos of the half leather?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

I need your Help.. Cloth Sports seats or half leather normal seats

HI Guys,

Im in desprate need of your help! My 320I SE is ordered. I have chosen the Half leather option (which is the half leather half cloth option) but now im thinking of scrapping that idea and going for cloth sports seats as this option is about the same amount as the half leather (+- £500)

IM 6 Foot 2 so comfort is imperitive.... But the sports seats also look good, even if they are in cloth ....................... BUT the half leather also looks good...

HELP.......................
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
Gnosis
Private
Rep

Go and try them out at a dealer! It's as simple as that. If you're comfortable in the standard seats then you're comfortable! I like the sport seats 200% more - but that's my back and ass....

And if you take the standard seats with leatherette (sensatec) you'll be able to afford the sport suspension...

Which you will want since the standard Euro-spec 320i is seriously soft... (am i messing with you?? )
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #14
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

You are most definately meesing with me....... But thats cool.....
We dont get Sensatec in th UK.....

My bloody dealer doesnt have any standard seats in stock (all the demo models have sport seats) ahhh....

Ohhh.......... What to do...............
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #15
Gnosis
Private
Rep

No sensatec in the UK? really? have you asked you dealer about that? You really should ask him....twice.... because if you want leather, but can't afford it, sensatec is the perfect choice.

And try to find some stock seats to sit in... that's best advice I can give.....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

I Have.......

I have the sport seats AND the leatherette in my e90. I also have leather with regular seats in my e46. They are both nice but the cars are different. The e90 has the 6 speed manual and the sport package. The e46 has the Step and the premium package. I guess my point is that it just might depend on the rest of the car. The e90 needs the sport seats due the sportier nature and how I am driving it. The e46 doesn't so the extra softness is nice in that car.

Forced to choose?????

Go leatherette and add the sport package!!!!!

I still love the e46 though.

Congrats on the new car either way!

JIM

PS- Keep Tony Blair! We love him over here!!!!! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #17
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintheter
Kev,

Have you got standard or sport seats? do you by any chance have any photos of the half leather?
No I have the standard seats which are comfortable enough....they charge extra for the lumbar support but believe me, I wouldnt bother as the standard support is very good (especially for someone like me with a dodgy back!!).

I dont have photos yet but will try and get over the weekend as I still have to get more pics of my car.
      06-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #18
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintheter
HI Guys,

Im in desprate need of your help! My 320I SE is ordered. I have chosen the Half leather option (which is the half leather half cloth option) but now im thinking of scrapping that idea and going for cloth sports seats as this option is about the same amount as the half leather (+- £500)

IM 6 Foot 2 so comfort is imperitive.... But the sports seats also look good, even if they are in cloth ....................... BUT the half leather also looks good...

HELP.......................
Im 6' 2" as well and have no problem with the standard seats.

Half leather looks good and thats what people will see...they dont give a **** about sports seats thats a personal preference.
      06-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Well I reckon sports seats and half leather will be best combo while remaining "reasonably" priced...so thats wot I have coming!!

PS When E90 arrives, TVR stays!! 523i SE goes!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #20
Llamaslayer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e60 530i

Hmm. I'm not quite sure why people really like leather. Can anyone tell me the benefits of it besides being "classier"? I find that it causes major discomfort in long trips.
      06-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #21
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

I never looked as a sunroof as a means of getting air into the car, so for me it wouldn't matter if I had AC or not. To me it lightens up the interior and gives an open air experience similar, but not quite the same as t-tops or a convertible. However, I have heard several people with sunroofs say that they have used them rarely so you have to detemine if it's worth the cost to you or not. The sunroof is standard in the US, so it seems BMW thinks it suits the style of this car.

As for the seats, I'd recommend trying them out first. I like the looks of the sport seats, but unfortunately for me, they are not comfortable.

I have seen the half leather and prefer it to the cloth. Not sure in the UK, but I was told that leatherette is frowned upon because it is considered vinyl and only taxis have vinyl. If I wasn't concerned about resale, I'd go for it as it seems a very nice choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
splintheter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbhoy

Kev , you have any photos yet?
Appreciate 0