BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Unhappy Scratched up plastic around rear view mirror while pulling out of garage

I pulled a dumb move a couple days ago while backing out of the garage in the new house I just moved into. While backing up, I heard an awful sound and was horrified to see my left-side rear-view mirror bent completely backwards. Thankfully, nothing on the side of my car scratched, and I was able to bend the mirror back in place and is working fine, but the black plastic frame around the mirror got a bit dinged up.

Any suggestions on how to repair the black plastic frame? See the attached pic. I thought about looking into getting the piece replaced, but it looks like an undertaking beyond my expertise. It looks like the plastic got a bit "mashed" in parts, and turned it that white color that plastic turns when getting bent outta shape. Perhaps a certain type of paint would do the trick? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

You can defiately touch it up. I'd try a basic Hi-gloss enamel based paint.
just get a Griots garage touch up tool (the kind for stone chips and such) or something readily available that will apply the paint evenly. That's the key. Even application. Doesn't matter what paint you use, however I recommend a basic Hi-gloss black spray enamel. Any Dollar General chain store carries the stuff. I got mine there and It was a great paint to use for painting my E30's black steel wheels. They were prepped 100% & are back to OEM new conditon now...& all I used with this Gloss black spray enamel I picked up at the local Dollar General haha.

I would also use a speck of light sand paper to smooth the scratched plastic ONLY to get the "jagged-ness" out of the scratched area. Then just paint it properly with a spray enamel.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0