BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

How to install BMW TPMS

We thought that it would help out them members to go over the correct way to install TPMS in most aftermarket and OEM wheels. There will be slight differences if you have multi-piece or older wheels that are NOT TPMS friendly. They may require an adapter.

First you will need your new TPMS sensor and correct size valve stem.

You should have an extra washer and holder stick with them valve kit.

Attach Torx valve screw to base of sensor.

Insert valve stem into new wheel. Make sure it is a standard valve stem hole.

Add single washer.

Attach valve stem nut.

For BMW's BERU/HUF TPMS set torque tool to 35in/lbs.

Tighten to torque.

Most shops will have a TPMS testing tool to make sure the sensor is activated properly and ready to perform on your new set of wheels.

Done. We would like to thank the guys at ShopTPMS for the great pics. Post up any questions you have. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
ChrisFromCorp
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Where would you recommend to buy the TPMS? Does it need to be from a BMW dealer or can you just order from a performance shop?

Awesome walk through!! Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Thank you, that's really informative. Just a question of if you think they're necessary for temporary winter tires/wheels? It can be pretty pricey to get the sensors, roughly $350+ for a set so, hence my question.

Any adverse effects besides having to check tire pressure yourself? I usually do anyway, even if the car says "OK." I've found that it won't pick up if the tires are off by 1 or 2 psi (at least that was my experience in my e90).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianx View Post
We thought that it would help out them members to go over the correct way to install TPMS in most aftermarket and OEM wheels. There will be slight differences if you have multi-piece or older wheels that are NOT TPMS friendly. They may require an adapter.

First you will need your new TPMS sensor and correct size valve stem.

Done. We would like to thank the guys at ShopTPMS for the great pics. Post up any questions you have. Thanks
This is gr8 - very informative. However, what do you have to do to to get the TPMS to register on the screen (I've seen lots of postings re a screen graphic that shows the pressure for each tyre); do you have to code it in yourself or does it magically appear because you have added the TPMS sensors to yr wheels.

This is quite important for me as I'm buying a new F10 535d (with Navi Pro) but the BMW TPMS option (2VB) is $700 & I can get the sensors (bought, delivered & fitted) for around half that price. so am looking for some thoughts as to which is the best way to go.

Appreciate yr help here...thanks.
      06-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

The F10 is now using the RDE012 sensors.
Appreciate 0