BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

DIY: N55 JB4 Stage 2 Help

Hey Guys,

I got my N55 JB4 Stage 2 in today...i am so lost as to how to install it. I can locate the first 2 connectors and im sure once I do the first 2 the second 2 shouldnt be too hard to locate.

Im just confused as to where the the 3 wires are going to get spliced to. I know there are instructions on Burgers website but i need like a simple step by step. Im not too savy when it comes to this but from what ive heard its a simple install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

It's out there, use search engine.....
      03-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonShant View Post
Hey Guys,

I got my N55 JB4 Stage 2 in today...i am so lost as to how to install it. I can locate the first 2 connectors and im sure once I do the first 2 the second 2 shouldnt be too hard to locate.

Im just confused as to where the the 3 wires are going to get spliced to. I know there are instructions on Burgers website but i need like a simple step by step. Im not too savy when it comes to this but from what ive heard its a simple install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://burgertuning.com/support.html
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Splice is a nasty word to use. The 2 CAN wires are under some rubberized connectors and are easy to just twist on. The ground just catches a bolt on the strut housing and power is just shoved into a fuse.

Once you open up the DME box you won't be too worried, it's pretty easy.
      03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Tweeked SRT4
Resident SRT4 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Dodge SRT4

Me and my friend installed my JB4 last Friday and it took us about an hour (working in the dark). If we had started sooner before it became night time I'm sure we could have knocked it out in 30 minutes. It's a fairly straight forward install imo.
2013 Subaru STI Sedan in WR Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
ShiftGear
Rep

Now I realize why people like flash tunes and how DIY is not for me...

My dad wanted to help me install the stage 2 tune. So we were working at a good pace until we got to the "take out the blue and red wire bundles from the wrapped ECU wires" part. As I was reading the BT instructions out loud, my dad says "shit I think I cut off three wires." ...

... He did. I was so heartbroken lol. I ran out to Radio Shack and bought a soldering iron, solder and heatshrink. I patched up the mistake and electrical taped it after I hot-gunned the heatshrink. And continued onwards with the installation. Plugged in the battery started it up. Yellow CEL and yellow Engine Service Soon. I was worried it was the cut wires. I uninstalled the JB4, and tried again. CEL is gone but the yellow Engine Service Soon light was still on... maybe coincidence... idk.

So I'm not sure why my tune is throwing a CEL and I am hoping to GOD those patched ECU wires don't bite me in the ass. FML 4 real... F it good. Not the first time I did things myself... but shit, it might be my last :/

Edit: Meh. Not gonna be my last lol. Gonna try again tomorrow.

Last edited by ShiftGear; 06-07-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giOsaurus_rEx View Post
Now I realize why people like flash tunes and how DIY is not for me...

My dad wanted to help me install the stage 2 tune. So we were working at a good pace until we got to the "take out the blue and red wire bundles from the wrapped ECU wires" part. As I was reading the BT instructions out loud, my dad says "shit I think I cut off three wires." ...

... He did. I was so heartbroken lol. I ran out to Radio Shack and bought a soldering iron, solder and heatshrink. I patched up the mistake and electrical taped it after I hot-gunned the heatshrink. And continued onwards with the installation. Plugged in the battery started it up. Yellow CEL and yellow Engine Service Soon. I was worried it was the cut wires. I uninstalled the JB4, and tried again. CEL is gone but the yellow Engine Service Soon light was still on... maybe coincidence... idk.

So I'm not sure why my tune is throwing a CEL and I am hoping to GOD those patched ECU wires don't bite me in the ass. FML 4 real... F it good. Not the first time I did things myself... but shit, it might be my last :/

Edit: Meh. Not gonna be my last lol. Gonna try again tomorrow.

I doubt you could have done lasting damage - you had the battery cable disconnected, right? Even with it connected there's very little chance you could have messed anything up in the ECU.

Should you ever have an engine warranty claim, and they open the ECU box, you're screwed.

I've never done this install, but looking at the instructions I see no mention of cutting wires, or using pliers for anything. What was your dad doing in there with pliers? You don't just accidentally cut 3 wires.

Reminds me of that Bruce Willis quote from the Last Boy Scout : "You tripped, slipped on the floor and accidentally stuck your d*** in my wife. "Whoops! I'm so sorry, Mrs. H. I guess this just isn't my week.""
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
ShiftGear
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWarne View Post
I doubt you could have done lasting damage - you had the battery cable disconnected, right? Even with it connected there's very little chance you could have messed anything up in the ECU.

Should you ever have an engine warranty claim, and they open the ECU box, you're screwed.

I've never done this install, but looking at the instructions I see no mention of cutting wires, or using pliers for anything. What was your dad doing in there with pliers? You don't just accidentally cut 3 wires.

Reminds me of that Bruce Willis quote from the Last Boy Scout : "You tripped, slipped on the floor and accidentally stuck your d*** in my wife. "Whoops! I'm so sorry, Mrs. H. I guess this just isn't my week.""
The car is running fine now without the tune. There aren't any warning lights on the dash. My dad was trying to remove the felt tape bundling all the wires together. He was using scissors to try to cut it away I had no idea he was doing this as I was looking at the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #9
nav1sandhu
Registered
Rep
Drives: WTB 135i

so i am trying to put the jb4 stage 2 on a 2011 135i and was wondering if anybody knows what side the red wire goes into the 50 amp red fuse? does the side matter
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
acoustix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i/1M Conversion, MK7 GTI

Doesn't matter, red wire is power.
Appreciate 0