BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

DIY- Performance Rear Diffuser

I thought I would post this here too (already posted in the diffuser thread) in case someone missed it on the other thread. And this is a DIY post so...here goes.

SO.... I installed my diffuser from Mod Bargains. .......

When I got the diffuser, the first thing I did was inspect the weave and hold it up to a light. The weave is far from perfect, but like I said, you cant expect perfection with these diffusers, thats why the OEM BMWP one is so expensive.
There are a few spots where the light shows through, but that is not such a big deal, since it is on the bottom of the car.

This diffuser has metal tabs on it, not the plastic ones on the Scopione and the OEM. These led to my first major issue.....

So I began by taking the stock diffuser off.

I quickly realized this job would be much more involved than I had planned. Those metal tabs need to be bent down once you mount it on the bumper cover to hold the diffuser in place. The problem with that is the tabs are so long that they hit the metal bumper of the car, and it was impossible for me to bend the metal tabs down from underneath the car. This is hard to explain and I was not able to take any pictures.

So my only option was to install the diffuser onto the bumper cover...off of the car. Great. Started by removing the tail lights and un screwing everthing underneath and in the wheel wells.

Removal of the bumper took me hours. I had no idea how the plastic tabs worked at first, and I did not want to pull to hard and break anything. The sides on the bumper cover have 4 clips. The only way to undo them is to slide the bumper cover backwards and pull it out. Once I figured this step out, it was easier and eventually came off...I did break one tab but it did not affect the fitment when I re installed it.

So now was the time to install the diffuser. It did not fit well...at all. I ended up having to Dremel the edges on the drivers side. Also, there were not any holes pre drilled so I did that as well. I didnt take any pictures of these steps, its pretty straight forward. Just keep grinding away and bend it until it fits in there. I ended up making it work, but it is still not perfect. The passenger side has a small gap. This photo also shows off the quality of the weave around the corner.

And a picture of a couple of the holes I had to drill, while under the car.

And 5 hours later...THE DIFFUSER IS ON THE CAR!

Now all that was left was to just screw everything back together under the car. The diffuser is solid as a rock. When I try to move it, it moves the entire car. Here are the final pictures, also showing off my newly installed LCI blacklines. Im still thinking about de-badging her.

I love how the Active Autowerk exhaust fits perfectly with this diffuser. It stuck out too far with the OEM one.

So the question is; was my trouble, the bad weave, the not perfect fitment worth the money saved off of the OEM BMWP diffuser? Im not so sure I can say yes. This was a major pain in the ass that took 6 hours of my day. By the sounds of it, the Scopione is the way to go, even with the tabs that you might have to sand down. At least you dont have to remove the bumper cover... I do love the way it looks, and I'm very happy the direction of the weave matches that of the BMWP spoiler. Well I hope this post helps some of you out if your on the fence of what diffuser to buy.

ALSO, if anyone reading this will have to remove the rear bumper cover in the future and you have any questions, PM me. I learned how to do it the right way, the hard way.
      04-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Great DIY, I'm sure you'll get more questions about the tabs being too long. I would ask but I have found a different diffuser to go with. Looks great and nobody will notice/care about the imperfect weave other than you.

My vote is that you debadge, I had mine off for a day and it looks great! Consequently I spent too much on a special badge to leave the one I bought off the car.
      04-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnip Gnop View Post
I thought I would post this here too (already posted in the diffuser thread) in case someone missed it on the other thread. And this is a DIY post so...here goes.

SO.... I installed my diffuser from Mod Bargains. .......

When I got the diffuser, the first thing I did was inspect the weave and hold it up to a light. The weave is far from perfect, but like I said, you cant expect perfection with these diffusers, thats why the OEM BMWP one is so expensive.
There are a few spots where the light shows through, but that is not such a big deal, since it is on the bottom of the car.

This diffuser has metal tabs on it, not the plastic ones on the Scopione and the OEM. These led to my first major issue.....

So I began by taking the stock diffuser off.

I quickly realized this job would be much more involved than I had planned. Those metal tabs need to be bent down once you mount it on the bumper cover to hold the diffuser in place. The problem with that is the tabs are so long that they hit the metal bumper of the car, and it was impossible for me to bend the metal tabs down from underneath the car. This is hard to explain and I was not able to take any pictures.

So my only option was to install the diffuser onto the bumper cover...off of the car. Great. Started by removing the tail lights and un screwing everthing underneath and in the wheel wells.

Removal of the bumper took me hours. I had no idea how the plastic tabs worked at first, and I did not want to pull to hard and break anything. The sides on the bumper cover have 4 clips. The only way to undo them is to slide the bumper cover backwards and pull it out. Once I figured this step out, it was easier and eventually came off...I did break one tab but it did not affect the fitment when I re installed it.

So now was the time to install the diffuser. It did not fit well...at all. I ended up having to Dremel the edges on the drivers side. Also, there were not any holes pre drilled so I did that as well. I didnt take any pictures of these steps, its pretty straight forward. Just keep grinding away and bend it until it fits in there. I ended up making it work, but it is still not perfect. The passenger side has a small gap. This photo also shows off the quality of the weave around the corner.

And a picture of a couple of the holes I had to drill, while under the car.

And 5 hours later...THE DIFFUSER IS ON THE CAR!

Now all that was left was to just screw everything back together under the car. The diffuser is solid as a rock. When I try to move it, it moves the entire car. Here are the final pictures, also showing off my newly installed LCI blacklines. Im still thinking about de-badging her.

I love how the Active Autowerk exhaust fits perfectly with this diffuser. It stuck out too far with the OEM one.

So the question is; was my trouble, the bad weave, the not perfect fitment worth the money saved off of the OEM BMWP diffuser? Im not so sure I can say yes. This was a major pain in the ass that took 6 hours of my day. By the sounds of it, the Scopione is the way to go, even with the tabs that you might have to sand down. At least you dont have to remove the bumper cover... I do love the way it looks, and I'm very happy the direction of the weave matches that of the BMWP spoiler. Well I hope this post helps some of you out if your on the fence of what diffuser to buy.

ALSO, if anyone reading this will have to remove the rear bumper cover in the future and you have any questions, PM me. I learned how to do it the right way, the hard way.
Damn seems like alot of work for what it is
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Holy crap that’s a lot of work for a diffusor OP…I know Icarbon was a bit hit or miss with fitment, but I got lucky and mine was on the car within 5 minutes of taking the OE one off. The tabs just slid into place, and the bolt holes lined up pretty much perfectly. But at least it’s on the car now, enjoy! Totally changes the rear of the car, the OE plastic diffusor is gross.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
I think you went to far with the installation. I have installed two different diffusers before (iCarbon + Scopione). Scopione one required me to grind the tabs to get it to fit but neither of them required rear bumper removal or taillight removal.

It's much easier if you have a person helping and then you can both to align it a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
I think you went to far with the installation. I have installed two different diffusers before (iCarbon + Scopione). Scopione one required me to grind the tabs to get it to fit but neither of them required rear bumper removal or taillight removal.

It's much easier if you have a person helping and then you can both to align it a bit better.
I had 3 people. And the difference between this diffuser and icarbon/scopione, is that this one does not have plastic tabs. It doesn't just "pop in". The metal tabs need to fit through the holes on the bumper cover, and be bent down to hold it in place. There was no possible way to reach these tabs and bend them down while on the car. It is hard to explain and I wish I took more pictures, but this was the only way it could be done.
      04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had 3 people. And the difference between this diffuser and icarbon/scopione, is that this one does not have plastic tabs. It doesn't just "pop in". The metal tabs need to fit through the holes on the bumper cover, and be bent down to hold it in place. There was no possible way to reach these tabs and bend them down while on the car. It is hard to explain and I wish I took more pictures, but this was the only way it could be done.
So to remove it you have to unbend the tabs, it won't pop right off?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
my icarbon was a 10 minute install that fit perfectly.

It did not have plastic tabs. It had metal tabs, which I did not bend. I just let them fit into slits in the bumper. The piece is very light and doesnt hold up any weight. The screws on the bottom of the diffuser and the unbent tabs was more than enough to keep it secured in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
my icarbon was a 10 minute install that fit perfectly.

It did not have plastic tabs. It had metal tabs, which I did not bend. I just let them fit into slits in the bumper. The piece is very light and doesnt hold up any weight. The screws on the bottom of the diffuser and the unbent tabs was more than enough to keep it secured in place.
How did you fit the tabs in? There was about half inch between my bumper cover and the metal bumper. The metal tabs hit the metal bumper of the car and would not allow the diffuser to go in any further. I tried everything before removing the bumper cover. Once I took the bumper cover off, it was a easy job
      04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

if there was one that actually did what it was designed to do?
Redirect air up!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
if there was one that actually did what it was designed to do?
Redirect air up!
I only got this for the looks
      04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How did you fit the tabs in? There was about half inch between my bumper cover and the metal bumper. The metal tabs hit the metal bumper of the car and would not allow the diffuser to go in any further. I tried everything before removing the bumper cover. Once I took the bumper cover off, it was a easy job
that is strange. My tabes fit in the same holes that the stock diffuser tabs used. It all slid right into place.

I was under the impression the bmw performance diffuser fit on the same way. I had never heard of anyone having to bend tabs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
that is strange. My tabes fit in the same holes that the stock diffuser tabs used. It all slid right into place.

I was under the impression the bmw performance diffuser fit on the same way. I had never heard of anyone having to bend tabs.
Yeah mine was not like that...at all. I actually watched this video a few times. The metal tabs on mine fit into the same holes as well, they just are so long they actually hit the metal bumper, preventing it to go any further unless you bend them
      04-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
I see what you are saying. Ur tabs were so long that when the bumper was mounted they hit your rear bumper support bar. I think you did the smart thing to remove the bumper
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
So what we've learned is do not buy the Mod Bargains diffuser and instead get one from Scopione / Ebay? lol. Never seen tabs so long that they had to be bent to fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
So what we've learned is do not buy the Mod Bargains diffuser and instead get one from Scopione / Ebay? lol. Never seen tabs so long that they had to be bent to fit.
The Scopione one isn't without faults either. The tabs are too thick from the resin to fit into the bumper, so you'll have to shave them down a bit. I'm still working on mine whenever I find the time.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Wow, that's crazy. My ebay llouiellp was a 15 minute job (1 person) in 30 degree weather: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=200

No issues with the tabs. Thrilled with the look and weathered the winter pretty well. Looks the same as the day I installed it.

Kudos for removing the bumper cover, I probably would have returned it and went with another brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Wow, that's crazy. My ebay llouiellp was a 15 minute job (1 person) in 30 degree weather: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=200

No issues with the tabs. Thrilled with the look and weathered the winter pretty well. Looks the same as the day I installed it.

Kudos for removing the bumper cover, I probably would have returned it and went with another brand.
I was so close to just saying screw it and returning it. I said to myself, I will try one more time. Good thing I did.

Quote:
Exactly. It looks great once installed...but what a pain in the ass.

Quote:
I see what you are saying. Ur tabs were so long that when the bumper was mounted they hit your rear bumper support bar. I think you did the smart thing to remove the bumper
Yeah it was my only choice really.
      05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
balance156
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i Msport 6MT

very nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

Nice, thanks for the info. Noticed you're local as well. Nice to see people around here own 135i's
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
Nice, thanks for the info. Noticed you're local as well. Nice to see people around here own 135i's
Not too many around!