BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
KEI7
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E61

KW V1 adjustment question (yes I have searched)

So I'm starting to feel my car is a little too low,

(current car pic)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836873

and thinking about trying to adjust coilovers by myself for the first time.
(to make car higher)

I have KW V1 and so far from various info I have found I will need to
(except the obvious jack-up, demount wheels, etc) ;

Fronts: Turn the purple rings to the right (height goes up)

Rears: Turn the purple rings to the left (height goes up)

And coilover adjustment to car height change ratio;

Fronts 1:1
Rears 1:1.8

Am I understanding this correctly?

Anybody who has done this before, I would very much appreciate your help
and any other advice
      05-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
AKopp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

When you look at the threads, it'll make sense. Fronts go up, rears go down. You'll need a pry bar to jam between the body and the top mount to keep it from spinning. Especially if you're raising it up. Sorry for a vague answer, but it's pretty straight forward. Make sure you loosen the front set screws, before adjusting.
2009 135i - SG/Coral - 19" Alufelgen SF-71 - ST Coilovers - Cobb Stage 2+ - AR Downpipes - Berk Sport Exhaust - Active Autowerke Charge Pipe - AMS FMIC - AFE DCI - LUX V3 Angel Eyes - LCI Blacklines - Active Autowerke Strut Tower Brace - BMW Performance CF Spoiler - Kerscher Carbon Splitter - Scopian CF Diffuser - MusicarNW Level 2
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
AKopp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW: You're drop looks good! I wouldn't change a thing. Then again, I don't live in Chicago.
2009 135i - SG/Coral - 19" Alufelgen SF-71 - ST Coilovers - Cobb Stage 2+ - AR Downpipes - Berk Sport Exhaust - Active Autowerke Charge Pipe - AMS FMIC - AFE DCI - LUX V3 Angel Eyes - LCI Blacklines - Active Autowerke Strut Tower Brace - BMW Performance CF Spoiler - Kerscher Carbon Splitter - Scopian CF Diffuser - MusicarNW Level 2
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
KEI7
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKopp View Post
When you look at the threads, it'll make sense. Fronts go up, rears go down. You'll need a pry bar to jam between the body and the top mount to keep it from spinning. Especially if you're raising it up. Sorry for a vague answer, but it's pretty straight forward. Make sure you loosen the front set screws, before adjusting.
Thank you AKopp!!

What do you mean by "loosen the front set screws"??
      05-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I adjusted my front coilover height for the first time myself this weekend. It was easy. There's a small allen head screw in the adjustment nut that is just tightened hand tight. You loosen that screw, turn the height adjustment nut with the specific wrenches, then retighten the set screw. I went 5 full turns higher.

When I went to the back I couldn't find a set screw but I also could not turn the height adjustment nut, but I didn't try to hard since I wasn't sure if there should be a set screw on the rears that I couldn't find. So I take the previous comment to mean that there is not a set screw on the rears?
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
AKopp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Correct, there are no set screws in the rear. But it's frustrating with they top cup spins. Screw driver or pry bar will work to keep it still.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
KEI7
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I adjusted my front coilover height for the first time myself this weekend. It was easy. There's a small allen head screw in the adjustment nut that is just tightened hand tight. You loosen that screw, turn the height adjustment nut with the specific wrenches, then retighten the set screw. I went 5 full turns higher.

When I went to the back I couldn't find a set screw but I also could not turn the height adjustment nut, but I didn't try to hard since I wasn't sure if there should be a set screw on the rears that I couldn't find. So I take the previous comment to mean that there is not a set screw on the rears?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKopp View Post
Correct, there are no set screws in the rear. But it's frustrating with they top cup spins. Screw driver or pry bar will work to keep it still.

I see, thanks for the tips!!

I'll report back after I've tried this out!!