BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
BMS Oil Catch Can Review

I've had Burger Motorsports Oil Catch Can installed for about 5 months now. It's been through one track day, and daily driven. I got it to help protect my Evolution Racewerks Intercooler from oil blowby, and just overall help with preventing oil sludge.

After 5 months, this is what I had in my catch can:

Not a whole lot. I was kind of disappointed. I thought there'd be more given that it'd been through a track day. There wasn't enough to really even empty it; holding it upside-down for a minute or so may have gotten a drip or two.

I can say that the oil caught was really thick, and definitely dirty. At least that bit of it won't be getting past the catch can. Worth the $179? I'm sure that's going to be different to different people.

The worst part about today's experience was re-installing the bracket that holds the can to the strut brace. Of course, telling myself before doing so, "don't drop it, don't drop it, don't drop it," only leads to one thing. Dropping it. It fell into the engine bay, and i could hear it slide toward the center of the car. That was actually quite lucky. It didn't get stuck and hang on something. It was definitely at the bottom of the car.

Tapping the bottom of the car, I could figure its location. I undid 3 bolts on the bottom of the car, enough to pry it open and find the bracket.

All-in-all, with dropping the bracket, working in the dark, and taking 3 or 4 breaks (your back starts to hurt hunched over doing these things), it took about an hour and a half. At the end of it all, at first I was upset the catch can hadn't caught more; then I thought at least I checked, and am glad it's not that full. It was something I wanted to do at 3 months, and then every 3 months. After my findings today, maybe once a year, or every other year.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

That's at least oil that's not getting everywhere else. Just wondering though if there will be any oil in the IC now that you have the OCC? I mean, how effective is the OCC? i have the same one btw...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

That seems to be normal. I need to empty mine again soon.

I've cleaned out my FMIC a few times, you would be surprised how much gunk is in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

How do you clean out an IC?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
How do you clean out an IC?
Fill it with diesel, let it soak a couple minutes, then pour it out. Repeat the same steps with soapy water. Then rinse with fresh water until the soap is gone and let it dry. A shop vac helps with the drying process.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Better than my Riss Racing one... The drain hole is a nut at the bottom of OCC and the seal is worn out, and now it dripps on my turbo area T_T
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

I only had about an ounce of oil in mine over an 8 month period
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Fill it with diesel, let it soak a couple minutes, then pour it out. Repeat the same steps with soapy water. Then rinse with fresh water until the soap is gone and let it dry. A shop vac helps with the drying process.
Yikes! Thanks.
Appreciate 0