BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Maxim
Faithful to BMW and only BMW
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i M

Foreign Language (Russian)

So I have this problem in my 2008 128i. When I listed to my iPod, connected with the USB, if the track in in Russian, all I see on the dash is ????????. If I receive a phone call on my iPhone connected via Bluetooth and stored under the Russian name in my contact list, again, all I see is ????????. Spoke to BMW, they said it is the iPod or the iPhone and they looked like the had no clue. It shows just fine on iPod or iPhone display but not on the dash. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You need to go to a Russian BMW dealer! <jk>

I have no idea why it is doing that. Maybe have you tried changing the system language for the BC? Would that change anything? I
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Are the letters in Russian characters? It may not have the font in its computer.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Maxim
Germany
Rep

There is no option in BC to switch to Russian. I thought may be I could take it to BMW and they will upload some software which will allow BC to recognize Russian font but they were just as lost. [/I]
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Are you taking about Cyrillic characters? The display seems to have pretty limited functionality. I remember on one track of mine an apostrophe didn't display correctly (for example, "Joe's" would appear as "Joe?s"). If something as simple as an apostrophe won't show up, there's probably no hope for Cyrillic, unless you can find an appropriate software reflash. You would think that the displays are compatible with Cyrillic characters in Russian markets, but who knows?
      05-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Maxim
Germany
Rep

Yes the Cyrillic characters won't display. Sucks that even the BMW can not help me. I wonder if I drive it to the Russian BMW dealer in Russia, will they program it, hmmm....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
There is no option in BC to switch to Russian. I thought may be I could take it to BMW and they will upload some software which will allow BC to recognize Russian font but they were just as lost. [/I]
Ask your dealer to email BMW AG. Maybe write down exactly what the problem is. Maybe take some pics too. Your dealer can ask special Q's like this thru BMW AG. Maybe you could email your dealer this music file - so they in turn can send it to BMW for "testing" on a car at AG.

That was how(email Qs) my local dealer fixed a miss fire for me. Only took one day before they got back to me with an answer/fix.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
Maxim
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ask your dealer to email BMW AG. Maybe write down exactly what the problem is. Maybe take some pics too. Your dealer can ask special Q's like this thru BMW AG. Maybe you could email your dealer this music file - so they in turn can send it to BMW for "testing" on a car at AG.

That was how(email Qs) my local dealer fixed a miss fire for me. Only took one day before they got back to me with an answer/fix.

Good Luck
Thanks for the response. I have an appointment with the BWM soon, I will ask them then because this issue is very frustrating and as some one posted before, I just noticed today. The name if my iPhone's is "Maxim's iPhone" so the " ' " is displayed as ? on the BC as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Maybe just rename the music files?

I haven't paired my iPhone to it yet, so I haven't noticed the ' issue. That part does seem a little odd, especially this day in age when everything is supposed to work with the iPod/iPhone.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Maxim
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Maybe just rename the music files?

I haven't paired my iPhone to it yet, so I haven't noticed the ' issue. That part does seem a little odd, especially this day in age when everything is supposed to work with the iPod/iPhone.
No it has nothing to do with the music file because even my iPhone's name is displayed as "Maxim?s" were it should be the "Maxim's".
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Maxim
Germany
Rep

So just a quick update. I turned my car in today to get it detailed by local BMW here in Weiden area and asked him about my "?????" issue. He, just like few months ago, looked surprised and did not know the answer. However, he told me that the Germany Beemys don't have that kind of a problem. I asked him if he can reload the software on which he agreed but did not guaranteed that this will fix the problem. I will pick my car up on Thursday and will let you guys know what's up. Also I saw lots of posts on here about the people having tail light issues. I also had one and the BWM replaced it. Anyways, today they told me that the BWM (Not sure if worldwide or not) did the recall on all the tail lights they have made for 1 Series. Might want to take yours in to get them replaced before they crap out.
Appreciate 0