BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #67
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
If amk buys a Porsche and drive it work, I will definitely consider .

edit:
Cayenne doesn't count.
Ha! Unless the economy picks up I'll be driving a Great Wall to work! I'd like a 911 one day but 3 kids and their school wheelies would be hard to fit in.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #68
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Amk, WA is booming! The mining is at least! Cayenne Turbo will take the kids and get you there quicker than a Carrera S...

Sparoz, you seem to really hate the Cayenne?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #69
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Amk, WA is booming! The mining is at least! Cayenne Turbo will take the kids and get you there quicker than a Carrera S...

It's just the mining and resources sector that's booming. Retail is generally flat or going backwards.

Re: Cayenne...Sparoz ain't the only one!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #70
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:

I don't hate it, it's not a real Porsche... so it doesn't count as a flashy car. Pricing is actually okay, but there are better cars in the category. My preference is a disco/rangie sport but my wife says X5 because she is worried about a land rover breaking down... I have gone way OT.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #71
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Amk, thought the retail sector would have picked up a bit now, really strange how mining growth is very slow to stimulate growth in other sectors.

Sparoz & Amk, way OT, however, re: Cayenne. I think the new iteration is a massive leap and bound over the last generation. Look so much better and the lighter weight really shows in the drive. Actually feels a lot sharper and agile - no 135i but sharper than my Mum's X5. I actually work for Porsche and might seem like a shameless plug but i did hate the last generation and really like this generation. Also, have some respect for the thing as it saved Porsche from going bankrupt all those years ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #72
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Amk, thought the retail sector would have picked up a bit now, really strange how mining growth is very slow to stimulate growth in other sectors.

Sparoz & Amk, way OT, however, re: Cayenne. I think the new iteration is a massive leap and bound over the last generation. Look so much better and the lighter weight really shows in the drive. Actually feels a lot sharper and agile - no 135i but sharper than my Mum's X5. I actually work for Porsche and might seem like a shameless plug but i did hate the last generation and really like this generation. Also, have some respect for the thing as it saved Porsche from going bankrupt all those years ago.
Retail hasn't picked up for us, and we faced more than just the GFC in our industry. Re: Cayenne - may be I should look into it a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #73
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

so whats the right industry? cos manufacturing isn't it, i know, i am currently moving everything to taiwan and china where the workers are so far from me in Sydney i don't have to know who has pulled another fake compo claim for thier football injury this week.

speaking of overseas - have you seen how cheap M3's are in the UK and potentially the 1M. Anyone know if you can put a deposit on one in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #74
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Amk, what type of retail are you in?

From my experience, (my franchise is based in WA) the market slowed quite bit last year but is starting to pick back up. I haven't been hit very hard (or at all) in Brisbane so quite lucky...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #75
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Retail hasn't picked up for us, and we faced more than just the GFC in our industry. Re: Cayenne - may be I should look into it a bit more.
I thought you guys wouldn't get affected too badly - hardly discretionary! Do you get a lot of competition from the likes of Chemist Warehouse, etc? I always thought it'd be pretty hard to compete with them especially in city and 'less-affluent' areas.

Amk, I always thought that the market in WA was supposed to be traditionally be very resilient.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #76
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I thought you guys wouldn't get affected too badly - hardly discretionary! Do you get a lot of competition from the likes of Chemist Warehouse, etc? I always thought it'd be pretty hard to compete with them especially in city and 'less-affluent' areas.

Amk, I always thought that the market in WA was supposed to be traditionally be very resilient.
Traditionally the WA market was resilient but it's all different now. Retailing is now exposed to national operators and national buying trends. It is pretty hard to compete with the discount operators - but let's just say it isn't a level playing field in terms of trading terms with suppliers etc.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #77
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Plus & Minus of globalization I guess. Definitely understand the point on suppliers which is definitely the case up here - where the building projects I'm getting off the ground has the most spontaneously quoted costings I have ever seen. The builder keeps ringing up with a hundred different charges expecting me to pay it!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #78
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Traditionally the WA market was resilient but it's all different now. Retailing is now exposed to national operators and national buying trends. It is pretty hard to compete with the discount operators - but let's just say it isn't a level playing field in terms of trading terms with suppliers etc.
What hurt the most was that they have enabled them to rapidly expand with those trading terms. Now, their economy of scale dwarfs everyone else's.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #79
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Sparoz, do you find that the people recognize the difference between the service you offer and the discounters?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #80
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sparoz, do you find that the people recognize the difference between the service you offer and the discounters?
Yes, they do recognise the difference, but if they are prepare to pay for it or not is the question. We are the only day and night - so naturally some people are prepared and happy to pay more, and we do give great advice (except for the locum at the moment ) and people to appreciate it.

In our business, service is not concrete, and it is very subjective. For example, Adela and I always work and let the staff have a day off on Christmas Day, which is the most enjoyable day to work as <strong>almost</strong> everyone says thank you. I had someone, a complete stranger, brought us wine on Christmas Day just because we are open. On the same day, I have got someone who complained about our price, in front, of a shop full of people, and decided not to get her medications. (I am glad that <strong>everything single person</strong> who saw the incident actually said thank you for being open).

At the end of the day - we can't separate a "service" component in our pricing, and it is practically impossible. Which means that to some people, they ask "why do I get the same thing at a different price."

Well, the irony is that I shop at places like Dan Murphys/First Choice, Bunnings. Many of us here import their own tyres - even though it is more work. The worry is the discounters becoming the Bunnings in our industry, it would be very hard to make our existing business model stand.

LOL - this is way way way OT. I get work up every time .
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #81
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Sorry to carry on OT but I would like to know how many professions or industries discount their services or products in an environment where they are the only ones that can legally provide that service or product?

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #82
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Forum for enthusiasts - way OT, but at least we are enthusiastic.

Sparoz, definitely see your point. My parents clinics open at the big holidays, albeit at a premium, and most people definitely are very thankful.

I also see the irony of us purchasing careful, however, I have always maintained that I will pay a reasonable premium for good service. Most of the joints I deal with up here have no intention of taking care of me any shape or form but will happily charge me exhorbitant prices for something I can source more effienciently and much quicker myself - tires from tyrerack is the best example of this.

Amk, nobody discounts unless they have to or want to cannibalize the whole market. Business 101 suggests don't get into price wars and highlight your difference. Seems both of you are the best example of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #83
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I trust we have all been here and entered!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446220

Go to Germany to have a drive of the 1M.... in a few weeks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #84
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
I trust we have all been here and entered!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446220

Go to Germany to have a drive of the 1M.... in a few weeks!
I can't get the upload working...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #85
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Sparoz, keep trying. I think it's overwhelmed but it eventually worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #86
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Valencia Orange ///M Deposit paid
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #87
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

Very nice pick, Zuzu
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #88
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Still deciding between AW and VO. VO is a bit loud for my liking but it might be more collectible.
Appreciate 0