BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
milocher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Drone on CP-E Catback, with stealth Pipe & resonators.

Hi folks,

I know cp-e was known for drone on their exhausts before adding in the stealth pipe, but I can't seem to find anyone complaining post-fix. I have both the stealth pipe and resonated mids, but get an extremely deep bassey tone from around 1400rpm to 2400rpm (dependant entirely on my throttle position). The tone is deep enough to fill my cabin with bass/slight vibration. Anyone know of a fix for this? Was it perhaps caused by an issue with install? It doesn't rattle or anything, and I can't hear any sort of exhaust leak.

Car is going back to the shop tomorrow to see what can be done, but going in with a suggestion or two from other cp-e catback owners would be great.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

I get a similar drone at those RPM's with my Berk Street. I've also noticed it depends on which tune I'm running. The cobb tunes seem to do it a little more than running stock tune and JB4. I played around with logging some of it last year and noticed it did it more in one of the fueling modes either normal or spool I can't remember. I've considered swapping my axle back for a CPE, Maddad or even back to a stock muffler sometimes.
      02-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

It's unlikely the tunes do anything at all at idle/cruise load levels...
      02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
milocher
Private
Rep

Searching the site it's clear that quite a few people are complaining about drone on berk street. In my case I'm not seeing any complaints from forum members after cp-e added the stealth pipe. I just took the car out again (it's quite cold), and the drone is AWFUL. In my mind there's no way other members would be okay with this, so I'm really leaning towards a botched install. I'll update tomorrow with info, but in the mean time if a fellow cp-e catback owner could chime in it'd help me immensely!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
stuggy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milocher
Searching the site it's clear that quite a few people are complaining about drone on berk street. In my case I'm not seeing any complaints from forum members after cp-e added the stealth pipe. I just took the car out again (it's quite cold), and the drone is AWFUL. In my mind there's no way other members would be okay with this, so I'm really leaning towards a botched install. I'll update tomorrow with info, but in the mean time if a fellow cp-e catback owner could chime in it'd help me immensely!
I had the cp-e non resonated mids with the axle back and stealth pipe, the drone was unbearable. I know exactly what your hearing. I've since sold the axleback, put the stock axleback back on, left the mids and went catless dps. Honestly there is barely any drone with the new set up now, just some nasty rasp right below 2000rpm. Your better off trying to sell it and look at another option. Throw the stock back on for the time being. While I waited for my dps, I left the non resonated mids and got a lot of compliments. Good luck with whatever route you go!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
It's unlikely the tunes do anything at all at idle/cruise load levels...
Considering Cobb has modified VANOS and fueling I wouldn't. Like I said I can't remember when I logged it if it was in spool mode or normal when I noticed it.
      02-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
milocher
Private
Rep

So, after lifting the car again yesterday and rechecking fasteners, bolts, and alignment; seems this set up just drones a ton on AT cars. I'll be removing the axle back portion today, and putting stock back on, I'm sure it won't sound too bad since I'll be keeping the cp-e midpipes. It's become quite clear that cp-e never designed this system for an auto transmission, especially once you factor in the alpina tcu flash and the car starts to hang around 1400-1800 rpm a lot more (drone zone).

Either way, I'll try selling the axle back portion to a M/T owner and start to explore my options from here.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I have a CP-E axleback with stealth pipe on mine. I also have AR catless DPs with 1M mids and it drones quite a fair amount however I'm quite used to it.

Previously, I had the non-resonated CP-E mids on it and it was the biggest rasp and drone factory. The volume was bordering on ridiculous but I liked it. The drone I got used to but the rasp I didn't. But in the end, the only reason I put catted mids back on it was due to my smoking turbos, otherwise I'd still be rocking the loud, raspy droney system that it is. I probably would have eventually installed some bottle resonators in the mids though.
      02-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
BrandonMc
//M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8 & 2011 535i MSport

I have the CP-E from the downpipe back with non-resonated mids and it drones a little when I'm accelerating. But at a consistent 2-2.5k on the highway it is definitely bearable, and with music on, I can't even hear the exhaust.

Mine is also a MT so that could be a difference. Love the sound though.

2011 535i Msport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
milocher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMc View Post
I have the CP-E from the downpipe back with non-resonated mids and it drones a little when I'm accelerating. But at a consistent 2-2.5k on the highway it is definitely bearable, and with music on, I can't even hear the exhaust.

Ya I think this might be due to the differences between AT/MT throttle mapping, as well as AT typically sitting between 1200-1800 rpm in 'D'. The drone pretty much disappears after about 2200 and sounds absolutely amazing, anything under that and the car sounds like a combination of a Honda Civic with a 5" exhaust and the blow horn from Inception.

Last edited by milocher; 02-25-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMc

Wait you have a non-resonated cp-e system that doesn't drone?

Do you have stock DPs?

When I had the non-resonated mids in mind paired with catless DPs and the axleback it was drone city. I could hardly think when the revs were anywhere between 1500-2500 RPMs, although I did get used to it and it didn't bother me too much. But there is no way I could have listened to music and no heard the exhaust. I have a 6MT as well btw.
      02-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Considering Cobb has modified VANOS and fueling I wouldn't. Like I said I can't remember when I logged it if it was in spool mode or normal when I noticed it.
At idle and cruise? I really doubt it...
      04-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I have the CP-E axleback with stealth pipe, stock N55 mids, stock DPs on my PPK1-equipped N54 6MT car. I get very noticeable drone from this very conservative set-up, so it would not surprise me if a more aggressive setup would be unbearable. On mine, there is significant droning depending on slopes and speed which I get around by varying my speed slightly. Mostly I live with it because I really like the way it sounds otherwise. I love the way it rumbles the house when I start it in the garage :-).