BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Clutches for the 1M - what have you got?

Ok, so looks like the clutch in my 1M has seen better days

It's a pure street car with only the occasional hill climb or motorkhana on the cars, and I'm wanting to see what other people are running in similar setups. I want something capable of 330rwkws or so, and the torque loading to go with it. The car has 44k kms on it so hoping I can salvage the flywheel, but happy to look at moving from the dual mass if necessary.

I've seen the Motive twin plate but that seems it may be a touch aggressive for what I want. The 550i is the lead runner at the moment, but has anyone tried one of the ECS or Exedy options?

Cheers,

Dane
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

if it's 330rwkw that you're targeting 550i clutch with stock dmf no brainer. more so if the car is a street car.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

550i clutch with stock flywheel is what I have, drives like stock and holds plenty of torque. Not 100% sure if the 1M can use the same clutch, it uses a different part number. I have heard someone said it was direct fit but haven't done any research on it myself.

If yours is slipping at the moment it'll be the pressure plate not having enough clamping force, Flywheel should be fine to reuse.

Twin plate I would only put on the car if you were chasing big power with a single turbo or something. Shiv did his 1/4 mile record 10.8 with a spec stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel. Held up even after countless passes. Twin plate is pretty noisy, ask Brule hes got the motiv twin plate setup on his car.

If you go single mass, do not use a 550i clutch! The clutch disc has a solid hub and relies on a dual mass to absorb chatter and vibration. If you go aftermarket like an mfactory flywheel, choose a spec clutch with a sprung hub. Itll still have some chatter but the spring hub clutch disc will make it a bit more bearable. 550i + single mass = massive chatter and noise.
      09-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #4
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
if it's 330rwkw that you're targeting 550i clutch with stock dmf no brainer. more so if the car is a street car.
Thanks mate, that's definitely the way I'm leaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
550i clutch with stock flywheel is what I have, drives like stock and holds plenty of torque. Not 100% sure if the 1M can use the same clutch, it uses a different part number. I have heard someone said it was direct fit but haven't done any research on it myself.

If yours is slipping at the moment it'll be the pressure plate not having enough clamping force, Flywheel should be fine to reuse.

Twin plate I would only put on the car if you were chasing big power with a single turbo or something. Shiv did his 1/4 mile record 10.8 with a spec stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel. Held up even after countless passes. Twin plate is pretty noisy, ask Brule hes got the motiv twin plate setup on his car.

If you go single mass, do not use a 550i clutch! The clutch disc has a solid hub and relies on a dual mass to absorb chatter and vibration. If you go aftermarket like an mfactory flywheel, choose a spec clutch with a sprung hub. Itll still have some chatter but the spring hub clutch disc will make it a bit more bearable. 550i + single mass = massive chatter and noise.
Cheers Vince. I was reading your thread re clutches last night and noticed your comment about the use of a 550i clutch with single mass.

I've seen other people comment on using the 550i clutch in the 1M forum, but the retailers who stock it don't list it as compatible with the 1M. Might confirm if anyone has installed one successfully before I pull the trigger. Looks like the best option, and cost effective too.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 02:45 AM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Thanks mate, that's definitely the way I'm leaning.

Cheers Vince. I was reading your thread re clutches last night and noticed your comment about the use of a 550i clutch with single mass.

I've seen other people comment on using the 550i clutch in the 1M forum, but the retailers who stock it don't list it as compatible with the 1M. Might confirm if anyone has installed one successfully before I pull the trigger. Looks like the best option, and cost effective too.
By the way I still have your AD engineering thermostat!

Surprised its slipping have you dynod the car yet? Should swing past the dyno day on Saturday:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278369
      09-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
By the way I still have your AD engineering thermostat!

Surprised its slipping have you dynod the car yet? Should swing past the dyno day on Saturday:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278369
Haha, I was just thinking about that the other day mate! Sorry, I've been super slack :P

I'm surprised it's slipping too. Wonder if it's anything to do with the CDV? You can hear it slipping when I shift to 3rd in that video I popped up, but it's fine in second. I really noticed it on the freeway on the way home, 5th gear WOT and it was slipping really badly.

I'd be keen on the dyno day but would be a waste if it's slipping in 4th gear. Haven't dyno'd it yet and really should.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Haha, I was just thinking about that the other day mate! Sorry, I've been super slack :P

I'm surprised it's slipping too. Wonder if it's anything to do with the CDV? You can hear it slipping when I shift to 3rd in that video I popped up, but it's fine in second. I really noticed it on the freeway on the way home, 5th gear WOT and it was slipping really badly.

I'd be keen on the dyno day but would be a waste if it's slipping in 4th gear. Haven't dyno'd it yet and really should.
Yeah can still come along, spectators welcome and good to have a chat.

CDV shouldn't have anything to do with it imo, plenty of low km cars with slipping clutches due to the pressure plate. I'd be careful putting the foot down at higher gears, you'll want to preserve the flywheel so you can reuse it, you don't want to have to buy another dual mass as the 1M has a lightweight dual mass flywheel ($$$).
      09-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Did anyone compare the stack height of the 550i clutch to OEM?

Is the height the same between the 1M N54 and 135i N54 dual-mass flywheels?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah can still come along, spectators welcome and good to have a chat.

CDV shouldn't have anything to do with it imo, plenty of low km cars with slipping clutches due to the pressure plate. I'd be careful putting the foot down at higher gears, you'll want to preserve the flywheel so you can reuse it, you don't want to have to buy another dual mass as the 1M has a lightweight dual mass flywheel ($$$).
Yeah I'll try and pop down if I'm free, would be good to take a look and catch up.

I noticed it do it at the track once in third gear under WOT, then on the way home in 5th gear after driving for an hour or so. Prior to that i was driving in 6th gear and accelerating form 80 to 110 with no issue so may be playing up once it gets warm.

I tested it a few times in 5th though, car stunk of clutch when it got home. Hopefully I haven't damaged the flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered the 550i clutch from FCP today, thanks for all the help guys!
Appreciate 0