BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #45
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I can work a sponsor deal on a FMIC, CP & DP if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #46
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Hi All - thanks for the replies in the thread. Been away for a some time while my mother battled cancer until we lost her recently.

But we're getting back into it and did a race weekend at Miller in Utah (90+ deg. weather), so I can tell you what issues we've been battling on the car to this point.

1) Changing to the current body/wheel/tire setup we were running 5mm spacers. Now, we've run 5mm spacers in the past with no issues, but that was with different wheel sizes (17"). Apparently, with these new 18" wheels we're running, they need more hub-centric grab and with 5mm spacers we were breaking wheel studs. So we've gone to 12mm up front, which has given the car even better turn-in, but now we are limited to how much we can turn the steering wheel (about 180 deg.). But for a race car, that's not a big deal. In the rear, we went down to 3mm spacers, but then we ground a hole thru the fuel neck tube that goes from the gas door to the tank. We're doing things to work around that (heat the tube and re-shape it away from the tire), but in the off-season, I want to go back to the body shop and re-roll the rear fenders more to try and get 12mm spacers in there. Then the handling of the car should be really good at both ends.
2) We went with the 1 oil cooler option from ER and the 1M Aux. water radiator on the driver's side, but in the 90+ deg. heat of Utah, the car was still going into limp mode. So before warm weather races next year, I'll back out the Aux. water radiator kit and go with the 2nd oil cooler.
Appreciate 0