MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
The 135 did not come standard with a sunroof. I had to pay a considerable amount to add it with the "Executive Package". They just did not make the option available on the 1M.
ahhh, your canadian. I believe you guys could get slicktop. In the USA, we were limited to having to have sunroofs on 135i's. We could get slicktop 128i's.
Yes, Canadian. Was a nearly $5000 option to get the moonroof.

So maybe a Canadian 135 (without moonroof) weighs less than a 1M?

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #24
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, Canadian. Was a nearly $5000 option to get the moonroof.

So maybe a Canadian 135 (without moonroof) weighs less than a 1M?

Potentially. Sunroof delete saves around 40lbs. Other things to always consider between cars is options. Nav, audio, manual seats, elec seats w/ or w/o heating etc. All will slightly change a vehicles weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #25
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
Okay, so just Sunroof delete?
You could order either one with or without the moonroof.

The 135i weighs less than the 1M if similarly equipped.

Quote:
Leergewicht (Empty Weight) is @ 1570kg vs 1530kg for 135i.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518273

BMW really did nothing to lower the weight.
Don't think any 1M was available with a sunroof, regardless of where (what part of the world) the order was placed.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #26
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
Don't think any 1M was available with a sunroof, regardless of where (what part of the world) the order was placed.
Looks like you are correct. I learned something new today. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Good discussion. The reason I brought up the thread is in case there were things like lighter bumpers or things like that they may have put on the 1M that may be able to be swapped onto a 135i.

e46s and e46 M3s came with aluminum and carbon fiber bumpers. I saved over 7 lbs. putting an e60 5 series front bumper as the rear bumper on the M4.

I believe the standard equip. for the 135i would have probably also been the automatic trans. where the 1M only came in manual.
Scott, I know the first replies threw you off course, I hope you have been able to see now that they were in fact incorrect. There are several small changes in the base 1M that fact lower the weight. I don't believe the bumpers are any lighter on 1M than standard 135. In fact, they are wider and possibly few ounces more. I think it you were trying to save weight on your 135i, I would start with the easy things first. Get lighter wheels and aluminum hat rotors like BMW performance or some other brand. Cross drilled if possible for additional weight savings. You can take off the hood insulation. The 1M has none and it seems to do fine. The cars are 6 years old and don't see any heat damage to the paint. Next I would consider getting the manual seats or something even lighter. The suspension can be a lot of work but there are some aluminum M parts that might come over. If it's time to replace shocks and struts, opt for aluminum housing units like the 1M. Coilovers are usually steel because of the perch thread but Bilstein and maybe Sachs make aluminum housing replacements. The weight savings is not huge, but if you are already replacing them, it's also better as the aluminum housing also dissipates heat more evenly and more efficiently. As shocks get hot, performance drops. Finally anti-roll bars are heavy. You might find hollow ones that weight a lot less. I think Dinan used to make some.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
you guys do know who scottn2retro is and what he has built in the past? He had a 1series race car early in the platform days and if I had to guess (and hope) is getting ready to build another. Most of the items we are talking about wont even be a factor in another on of his builds.

I think his question was more geared toward oem parts that would stay on a race build.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Scott, I know the first replies threw you off course, I hope you have been able to see now that they were in fact incorrect. There are several small changes in the base 1M that fact lower the weight. I don't believe the bumpers are any lighter on 1M than standard 135. In fact, they are wider and possibly few ounces more. I think it you were trying to save weight on your 135i, I would start with the easy things first. Get lighter wheels and aluminum hat rotors like BMW performance or some other brand. Cross drilled if possible for additional weight savings. You can take off the hood insulation. The 1M has none and it seems to do fine. The cars are 6 years old and don't see any heat damage to the paint. Next I would consider getting the manual seats or something even lighter. The suspension can be a lot of work but there are some aluminum M parts that might come over. If it's time to replace shocks and struts, opt for aluminum housing units like the 1M. Coilovers are usually steel because of the perch thread but Bilstein and maybe Sachs make aluminum housing replacements. The weight savings is not huge, but if you are already replacing them, it's also better as the aluminum housing also dissipates heat more evenly and more efficiently. As shocks get hot, performance drops. Finally anti-roll bars are heavy. You might find hollow ones that weight a lot less. I think Dinan used to make some.

Best of luck
Just for clarification, the 135 front rotors are already aluminium hats, so may not see any weight savings there. The hood insulation only came on the early 135's, it was dropped in later years. Not sure what year they stopped installing one. Assuming this was a cost cutting measure. My 13 came without hood insulation, I had to add it later on.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
you guys do know who scottn2retro is and what he has built in the past? He had a 1series race car early in the platform days and if I had to guess (and hope) is getting ready to build another. Most of the items we are talking about wont even be a factor in another on of his builds.

I think his question was more geared toward oem parts that would stay on a race build.
If it's a racecar build, about the only 1M parts you would probably be putting on a 135 is the front and rear aluminium control arms and the rear camber arms, which means using a 1M style rear shock. Would probably be doing those things already.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #31
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Other items worth swapping beyond weight savings if building a track car:

1M Bodywork - increase track width allowing more tire and wider fronts.

PPK Radiator Fan
PPK Aux Radiator

BMW 1M rear subframe, Diff, Hubs and front knuckles. This opens up options for larger aftermarket m3 brakes, M3 suspension, m3 coilovers and LSD Options. Most aftermarket brake companies only make as large as a 355mm front rotor for 135i where they make 380mm kits for m3/1m. M3/1M also have a myriad of coilover kits not available on standard e82. You can swap in solid subframe and diff bushings before the m3 subframe goes in too.

Depending on the level of build, you can either use M3 control arms with aftermarket bushings or bimmerworld or similar heim jointed rear arms.

1M/M3 Steering rack: If you have an active steering e82 you can not only bolt in the m3 rack but you can code in the m3 servotronic settings.

Sunroof Delete - run a factory slick top and support bar or a Revozport carbon roof. Slicktop saves around 40lbs off the tallest part of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #32
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

If I picked up the car used, is there an easy way to know if I have a 135i with active steering?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just for clarification, the 135 front rotors are already aluminium hats, so may not see any weight savings there. The hood insulation only came on the early 135's, it was dropped in later years. Not sure what year they stopped installing one. Assuming this was a cost cutting measure. My 13 came without hood insulation, I had to add it later on.
Yes, they have aluminum hats. Just wish you would take it a step further and clarify the really important point where you said 1M was heavier and threw out the reversed number. Can you at least "clarify" that, please?

That way we can complety rule that out and we can focus on whether they weight the same?

There is a lot if misinformation out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #34
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Dinan Hollow Sway Bars
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...SABEgKRe_D_BwE

Lighter rotors
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691872

lighter wheels too.

I can't find aluminum struts and shocks for 135i but they are probably out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #35
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Dinan Hollow Sway Bars
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...SABEgKRe_D_BwE

Lighter rotors
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691872

lighter wheels too.

I can't find aluminum struts and shocks for 135i but they are probably out there.
I believe the Ohlins are aluminium.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #36
frontside0815
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i FBO

Quote:
1M/M3 Steering rack: If you have an active steering e82 you can not only bolt in the m3 rack but you can code in the m3 servotronic settings.
Any Info on this?
I had a ride in an 1M (100% oem suspension wise besides an clutch type diff) and the biggest difference i felt was the steering was so much better (my car has active Steering).

Would love to code that options in!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #37
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

I've noticed on the 135i there is a metal panel (bolted) behind the rear door card panels in the rear arch.

On the 1M this space is empty.. although gives more road noise due to less insulation. Saves alittle more weight

pic taken from this 1addicts thread

Does anyone do any 1M front wings in full carbon? even with split fins for airflow could be cool for track (like the E46 M3 GTR & 991 GT3RS)

12-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #38
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Quote:
Any Info on this?
I had a ride in an 1M (100% oem suspension wise besides an clutch type diff) and the biggest difference i felt was the steering was so much better (my car has active Steering).

Everyone overlooks the steering on the 1M. But it is significantly quicker and better than standard 135 steering. I don't believe there is any weight savings though. It's also not just that it's quicker. With all the torque and full lock diff you need quicker steering to reign in the rear.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #39
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I picked up the car used, is there an easy way to know if I have a 135i with active steering?
Easiest way to tell would be the power steering pump reservoir. If it has the same one as the 1m you should have active steering. If it looks like other e82 or e9x then you don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #40
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Quote:
Any Info on this?

Everyone overlooks the steering on the 1M. But it is significantly quicker and better than standard 135 steering. I don't believe there is any weight savings though. It's also not just that it's quicker. With all the torque and full lock diff you need quicker steering to reign in the rear.
It has m3 steering which people don't appreciate until they drive one.

For e82 if you don't have active steering, you can still bolt an m3 rack in, which will give you a shorter rack . If you have e82 w/ active steering, you can bolt an m3 rack in and code it for full function which makes it exactly the same as the M3/1M. My v8 e82 has it fully functional and my second e82 build is going to have it as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #41
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, they have aluminum hats. Just wish you would take it a step further and clarify the really important point where you said 1M was heavier and threw out the reversed number. Can you at least "clarify" that, please?

That way we can complety rule that out and we can focus on whether they weight the same?

There is a lot if misinformation out there.
The 135i brakes are a clear example of where lighter doesn't necessarily mean better. 135i brakes are great for a street car, where this weight discussion matters little, but on track they overheat and their pistons crumble. They look a lot more performance oriented than they actually are.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      01-18-2018, 02:17 AM   #42
frontside0815
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i FBO

Quote:
It has m3 steering which people don't appreciate until they drive one.

For e82 if you don't have active steering, you can still bolt an m3 rack in, which will give you a shorter rack . If you have e82 w/ active steering, you can bolt an m3 rack in and code it for full function which makes it exactly the same as the M3/1M. My v8 e82 has it fully functional and my second e82 build is going to have it as well.

So for changing the steering i Need to buy an 1M/M3 Steering rack and code something?
Do you know what Needs to be coded and how?

If this is so easy, it will be the top of my priority list thatīs for sure!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:35 AM   #43
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

1M/M3 steering rack without active steering is a direct swap, no coding neccesary if you don't need servotronic to work.
Steering will be heavier, but nice feeling.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #44
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traf View Post
1M/M3 steering rack without active steering is a direct swap, no coding neccesary if you don't need servotronic to work.
Steering will be heavier, but nice feeling.

Correct.

If your car does have active steering you can plug in and code as well.
Appreciate 0