BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 dadmobile

Hey everyone

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. My name is Steve, and I am in the market for a powerful and fun sportscar in the near future so I thought I'd come hang around. Right now the top runners are the bmw 135i or 235i and the porsche cayman s and maybe even the vette (if my old mans say was all that mattered that'd be it haha).
I come from a long line of car guys who work only on American muscle but bought a mitsubishi evo in 2009 and the turbo and handling won my heart. The evo was fun but I am looking for something a little more mature and not so rattly. Four banger just ain't right either... I have since traded in the evo (long story!).
Right now I'm driving an SUV for carting around kids and splashing some mud on the weekends. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of a beast again!
Oh, I'm also in the process of rebuilding a 68 GTO (very slowly)
Look forward to getting to know ya!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-0 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. My name is Steve, and I am in the market for a powerful and fun sportscar in the near future so I thought I'd come hang around. Right now the top runners are the bmw 135i or 235i and the porsche cayman s and maybe even the vette (if my old mans say was all that mattered that'd be it haha).
I come from a long line of car guys who work only on American muscle but bought a mitsubishi evo in 2009 and the turbo and handling won my heart. The evo was fun but I am looking for something a little more mature and not so rattly. Four banger just ain't right either... I have since traded in the evo (long story!).
Right now I'm driving an SUV for carting around kids and splashing some mud on the weekends. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of a beast again!
Oh, I'm also in the process of rebuilding a 68 GTO (very slowly)
Look forward to getting to know ya!
Welcome.

There are a couple of others lingering here that have done the same thing.... I traded my 135is (loved it) for a Cayman S (love it). Be happy to talk differences if you need any info.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Cool man, thanks. I've driven all of the vehicles I mentioned, and definitely lean towards the 1er mostly for it's style (I think all three cars are great in performance for different reasons). It feels great and somehow I guess I'm just a weirdo because I think it's just a beauty in the looks department. So understated but original, just a straight sexy sleeper on the street.
Also I will in all likelihood mod the crap out of whichever car I get, so the 1er wins again on costerformance.
Seems like a lot of people are going to go for the 2 so that's my major block right now: wait for the m2 or pick up a lightly used or last on lot 135 and use the big savings for mods... Money isn't an issue but no point in throwin it away not a big fan of the 235 looks at this point, although the m2 could be a bit different..
So yeah, that's where I'm at!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
firokzz
just another 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, grey, convertible, stick

2 sereis!!!!!!!!!
      12-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-0 View Post
Cool man, thanks. I've driven all of the vehicles I mentioned, and definitely lean towards the 1er mostly for it's style (I think all three cars are great in performance for different reasons). It feels great and somehow I guess I'm just a weirdo because I think it's just a beauty in the looks department. So understated but original, just a straight sexy sleeper on the street.
Also I will in all likelihood mod the crap out of whichever car I get, so the 1er wins again on costerformance.
Seems like a lot of people are going to go for the 2 so that's my major block right now: wait for the m2 or pick up a lightly used or last on lot 135 and use the big savings for mods... Money isn't an issue but no point in throwin it away not a big fan of the 235 looks at this point, although the m2 could be a bit different..
So yeah, that's where I'm at!
135i/is is a hell of a German car bargain for the performance. Modding is pretty easy too from all I've read. Has the BMW "DNA/heritage" more than any BMW made in the last couple of years.

As for the 235, like you, I haven't yet driven it. I'm sure you've considered this, but if they get the electric steering correct, it should be terrific. Unfortunately, the new 3/4 series is a big "swingandamiss" in the steering department if you ask me, and I would imagine will trickle down to the 2. We'll see. Looks are subjective, but I honestly don't care for the looks of anything BMW is rolling out as their new models. I'm unimpressed with their direction. It's among many reasons I probably won't be back to the brand.

My friend sent me this photo (he owns a BMW, and has had several, like me), which seems to agree with many of the write ups I've been reading on the 3/4/5/6:
Attached Images

2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT

Last edited by CptSlow; 12-29-2013 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep

Yeah for me the 2/4 looks aren't too impressive either, not that Bimmers have been huge in the innovation dept lately. The new models might as well be kias as far as design goes, but I may be judging too soon. Maybe it will grow on me.
The main thing is the ride though for sure so we'll see!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

All your choices are good picks, Obviously you like quality cars with more than ample power and handle well. You can't go wrong with any of them I think. I am curios to hear more about the 235 and drive one myself.
Appreciate 0