BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #111
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Have you seriously NOT hit the M or DSC buttons in 1200 miles?

Why oh why would you do that to yourself. (this is not a question) I think you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Hitting both buttons is standard preflight procedure. For the love of GOD due yourself a favor.
lol, i'm the same way. I get my run-in service done this morning. Then I too will be partaking in the M button and MDM. Just thought it'd be too tempting to do during the break in. Eh, whatevs.

OMG, I'm 28 miles past 1200 and I haven't had the run-in service! Is my car broken now? Actually, when I pulled into the service bay, I hit 1240 on the dot. Following the rules to the the letter!

Last edited by sergeremi; 12-23-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #112
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
My SA and I are of the mind; BMW fluid only. My personal circumstances are such that I can wait it out. Which is what I'll do. Total time between selling my e36 and getting the 1M has been over a year. I can chill for a few days, have a nice Xmas weekend, etc.

Praise be this forum for all the research. I can't imagine the dark ages before qualify forums anymore.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.
Unless slapping a piece of paper reading "BMW" mysteriously affects the fluid chemistry, it's exactly the same stuff!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #113
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Just had my 1200 mile service done today. Everything matches up to the part numbers indicated - except they did change my transmission fluid and put in part number 83-22-0-309-031. My SA has taken good care of me in the past with at least 8 of my BMW's - this is the first time I am questioning what they've done.

Guessing I am going to need to go back to the dealer and get the correct fluid installed. Anyone know which car the fluid they put in mine is for?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #114
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love BMW's View Post
Just had my 1200 mile service done today. Everything matches up to the part numbers indicated - except they did change my transmission fluid and put in part number 83-22-0-309-031. My SA has taken good care of me in the past with at least 8 of my BMW's - this is the first time I am questioning what they've done.

Guessing I am going to need to go back to the dealer and get the correct fluid installed. Anyone know which car the fluid they put in mine is for?
That would be LT-2, used in M3 manuals for some time. My guy made the same mistake since BMW sent notice not to replace the trans fluid, which many of the service departments missed; then they just put in what they were used to in "M cars" since never got the bulletin to switch to LT-5 (why should they if not changing? BMW NA logic). My NEW dealer, Patrick in Schaumberg, IL, had no problem getting the right stuff in the 3 days after he told me that I was right about the fluid, and they didn't charge me on the assumption that BMW will pay for it...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #115
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
That would be LT-2, used in M3 manuals for some time. My guy made the same mistake since BMW sent notice not to replace the trans fluid, which many of the service departments missed; then they just put in what they were used to in "M cars" since never got the bulletin to switch to LT-5 (why should they if not changing? BMW NA logic). My NEW dealer, Patrick in Schaumberg, IL, had no problem getting the right stuff in the 3 days after he told me that I was right about the fluid, and they didn't charge me on the assumption that BMW will pay for it...
Thanks for the quick response. I looked up my 1200 service from M3 and it was the same fluid they put in the 1M. Looks like I'll be back at the dealer next week for the proper fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #116
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Question is can they get that fluid in stock for a quick fluid change.
      12-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #117
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

No problems with engine oil and diff oil changes today at the dealer -- completely dramaless. (They gave me a 135i DCT loaner ... wow I love my 1M even more.)

As sergeremi has pointed out, the MTF-LT-5 is still backordered, and my dealer is giving me a 2 week ETA.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #118
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I changed the MTF on my 1M yesterday but was only able to get about 1 quart out of the tranny. I ended up putting in about 1.25 before it started to overflow from the fill plug. I had the car pretty level, I used a level on the rear trunk floor. Anyone else experience something similar?
      12-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #119
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Uneventful MTF change today at the dealer with the correct LT-5 fluid. I had been noticing that the shift action was a bit notchier than when new, but it may also just been my imagination. After the fluid change, the shift action is DEFINITELY improved back to new -- like butter.

It makes me question if factory-spec'd fluid change intervals are too long in duration -- for our US cars tranny fluid technically shouldn't be changed until the 3rd oil change. If there was a noticeable improvement in shift feel with a fluid change at 1400 miles, what would have been going on in the gearbox at 20,000 miles?

The answer is probably DIY in between manufacturer-specified intervals.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #120
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
The answer is probably DIY in between manufacturer-specified intervals.

The fresh oil is always the best oil! Yes, it can not hurt changing the oil more often than BMW says too. Oil is cheap, engines/trans/diff's are not!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #121
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I'm due for 1,200 mile service.

Can I simply print out the sample invoice posted by the OP that says "everything looks good here" and and hand it to the SA, and request those specified fluids?

Thanks!

///1M
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #122
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
I'm due for 1,200 mile service.

Can I simply print out the sample invoice posted by the OP that says "everything looks good here" and and hand it to the SA, and request those specified fluids?

Thanks!

///1M
That's an ok tactic but I'd present them with the part #s PLUS descriptions and explain to them that there's been much confusion over the correct fluids for the 1M parts bin special. (Part numbers occasionally vary depending on the container size.) I would touch base with them about all of this before your appointment.

1. Standard 5W-30 synthetic for engine oil
2. Diff fluid should contain FM booster - have the SB# handy (330211) along with a printed copy.

Good luck ...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #123
///1M
Captain
Rep

Thanks Ayao. As it turns out, I'm still a bit confused after reading the original post, because it seems there are several options listed.

Could someone please post a concise cheat sheet that dummies like me can either transcribe or print out?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #124
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Thanks Ayao. As it turns out, I'm still a bit confused after reading the original post, because it seems there are several options listed.

Could someone please post a concise cheat sheet that dummies like me can either transcribe or print out?
If you print out Metak's first post of the thread/sticky, you'll pretty much be set. The 1200 mile run-in service includes oil/filter/diff. 1Ms worldwide also get a manual transmission fluid change, but 1Ms in NA are excluded.

1. With the engine oil, you just have to make sure they use 5W-30 synthetic - 07 51 0 017 866. It's the standard N54 oil. They could screw it up by putting M3 10W-60 in it because it's an "M" car. I haven't heard of anywhere putting on the wrong filter.

2. With the differential oil, the correct part number is 83 22 2 282 583. This part number refers to the SAF-XJ with friction modifier. Historically, the M cars only got (+)FM fluid if there were complaints about diff noise, but Service Bulletin 330211 makes it pretty clear that 1Ms get the (+)FM fluid. According to Dackelone's sources, the car came filled with non-FM fluid, for whatever reason. It's important to keep in mind that once the diff gets (+)FM fluid, you should not go back to non-FM fluid.

3. Manual transmission fluid for 1Ms in North America doesn't get changed until the 3rd oil change. This in contrast to 1Ms in every other country in the world. The fluid is backordered nationwide. The correct fluid is MTF-LT-5. The correct part number is 83 22 2 239 655 which is the 20L size. The MTF-LT-5 (not LT-2, not LT-4) is referenced in a BMW Canada service bulletin # 000110, which should fall under the BMW NA umbrella. See post #21 at http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593513. Interestingly, this specification was omitted from the equivalent USA bulletin according to other forum members which has led to some problems convincing some dealerships that MTF-LT-5 is the correct fluid.

Anecdotally, I paid to have the tranny fluid changed and noticed a substantial improvement in shift feel and smoothness. Over the 1st 1200 miles, shifts became gradually rougher which I ascribed to the cold weather. After the tranny fluid change, shifts are butter again.

Finally, because there is a MTF-LT-5 fluid shortage, resourceful people have noticed that the fluid is identical to Pentosin FFL-3 which is available at Porsche dealerships -- it's a Porsche DCT fluid. FWIW my BMW dealership (and most others, I'd guess) won't put non-BMW fluid in the car as a matter of policy.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #125
///1M
Captain
Rep

Ayao,

Thanks man, this is a huge help!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #126
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
If you print out Metak's first post of the thread/sticky, you'll pretty much be set. The 1200 mile run-in service includes oil/filter/diff. 1Ms worldwide also get a manual transmission fluid change, but 1Ms in NA are excluded.

1. With the engine oil, you just have to make sure they use 5W-30 synthetic - 07 51 0 017 866. It's the standard N54 oil. They could screw it up by putting M3 10W-60 in it because it's an "M" car. I haven't heard of anywhere putting on the wrong filter.

2. With the differential oil, the correct part number is 83 22 2 282 583. This part number refers to the SAF-XJ with friction modifier. Historically, the M cars only got (+)FM fluid if there were complaints about diff noise, but Service Bulletin 330211 makes it pretty clear that 1Ms get the (+)FM fluid. According to Dackelone's sources, the car came filled with non-FM fluid, for whatever reason. It's important to keep in mind that once the diff gets (+)FM fluid, you should not go back to non-FM fluid.

3. Manual transmission fluid for 1Ms in North America doesn't get changed until the 3rd oil change. This in contrast to 1Ms in every other country in the world. The fluid is backordered nationwide. The correct fluid is MTF-LT-5. The correct part number is 83 22 2 239 655 which is the 20L size. The MTF-LT-5 (not LT-2, not LT-4) is referenced in a BMW Canada service bulletin # 000110, which should fall under the BMW NA umbrella. See post #21 at http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593513. Interestingly, this specification was omitted from the equivalent USA bulletin according to other forum members which has led to some problems convincing some dealerships that MTF-LT-5 is the correct fluid.

Anecdotally, I paid to have the tranny fluid changed and noticed a substantial improvement in shift feel and smoothness. Over the 1st 1200 miles, shifts became gradually rougher which I ascribed to the cold weather. After the tranny fluid change, shifts are butter again.

Finally, because there is a MTF-LT-5 fluid shortage, resourceful people have noticed that the fluid is identical to Pentosin FFL-3 which is available at Porsche dealerships -- it's a Porsche DCT fluid. FWIW my BMW dealership (and most others, I'd guess) won't put non-BMW fluid in the car as a matter of policy.

Hope this helps.
^^+1. That basically sums it all up.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #127
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Great summary!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #128
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I booked my 1,200 mile service for this Friday and the dealership just informed me that BMWNA says there is no LT-5 in the US.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #129
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I booked my 1,200 mile service for this Friday and the dealership just informed me that BMWNA says there is no LT-5 in the US.
That sucks! My dealership was able to score some within a week this past month despite estimating that it would take longer. I had the oil and diff fluid changed and then went back after the LT-5 arrived. I suppose plan b would be to snag some pentosin from a Porsche dealership and then go the indie shop route?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #130
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
That sucks! My dealership was able to score some within a week this past month despite estimating that it would take longer. I had the oil and diff fluid changed and then went back after the LT-5 arrived. I suppose plan b would be to snag some pentosin from a Porsche dealership and then go the indie shop route?
May have to go that route or do it myself. BMWNA is supposed to be researching why they are out of stock. It's an odd lingering issue.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #131
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys - is this confusion re: 1200 service at the dealers only occurring in US? I don't see many, if any, UK posts. I'll book my service for late Jan and want to know if I should serve them with Metak's guidelines. I used this forum to convince my dealer that UK service bundle should be £400 not £1000, so they are used to me using you guys as a support group. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #132
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmez View Post
Guys - is this confusion re: 1200 service at the dealers only occurring in US? I don't see many, if any, UK posts. I'll book my service for late Jan and want to know if I should serve them with Metak's guidelines. I used this forum to convince my dealer that UK service bundle should be £400 not £1000, so they are used to me using you guys as a support group. Cheers.
Well, as for part 1) they did indeed put the wrong engine oil in. 10w-60. They have since drained it and put in the correct stuff.

As per 2), it doesn't even look like they put any diff oil in.

At least they got 3) right.
Appreciate 0