BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

M3 carbon

I was at the dealer the other day and was sitting in a real nice AP DCT M3 vert. What I noticed right away was the carbon fiber trim inside. It wasn't shiny and you feel the cloth weave. It looked outstanding!

Is that the stuff BMW sells for the 135? If not, where can I get that because WOW!!! it looked great.
      05-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

the closest you can get that is cheap is to do a DIY and wrap it with carbon fiber fabric. It is different then a vinyl sticker, it is a fabric that has a soft touch to it. I have done it as well as other forum members. I think PYSPEED sells some.
      05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. You're right. This is the stuff.

http://www.pyspeed.com/Carbon-Fiber-...-p/rd-8001.htm

Definitely my first mod. I was probably drooling in the M3. :-)
      05-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaler View Post
Thanks. You're right. This is the stuff.

http://www.pyspeed.com/Carbon-Fiber-...-p/rd-8001.htm

Definitely my first mod. I was probably drooling in the M3. :-)

Yes, just be very careful and do it right the first time! I did not apply the glue well and did not let it "dry". Now it is starting to peel/get bumpy.

My suggestion would be to take out all the pieces from your car, do 1 piece one at a time, make sure there is enough glue spray, then once you finish let them rest overnight.

Also, I would suggest cutting the fabric using an exacto after you get it around the main parts. I was lazy and just folder the excess fabric behind the trim pieces and they wouldnt fit back in flush, so I had to go back and recut any excess fabric off : )
      05-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If I wrap the fabric around the edges and glue it to the back will there be any problems with the fit when re-installing?
      05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaler View Post
If I wrap the fabric around the edges and glue it to the back will there be any problems with the fit when re-installing?
well that is what I am talking about. I highly recommend that you "stretch" it around the edges in the back. This will ensure both that it is snug, and that it will stay on. If you just do it on the outside, you risk it might peel in the future.

PY speed has a DIY
http://www.pyspeed.com/category-s/577.htm

However, on some pieces, especially the corner, you are going to have to be careful, and cut it so it makes a triangle and that u can fold over : ). There are a lot of DIY on the DIY section : ).