BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #23
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Do you have anything in writing say that car is yours, or has it all been done by word?

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 328iT

On the one hand, I wholly support the notion of a private business being able to do whatever they damn well please. After all, if they screw over enough people enough times, the market will go elsewhere, because they'll get a bad reputation and lose business, right?

On the other hand, in all practical sense, why do they honestly need my car when they'll already have other launch cars? It's not like they'll have no other 1ers for shoppers to see.

I'm trying to be reasonable and accomodating by not pushing them to release it before BMW's launch date, but come on. A pre-ordered car is obviously highly anticipated by the buyer, so why would a dealer want to start off the relationship negatively?

Guys, I appreciate the suggestion to go to BMW NA, but having owned many BMWs over the past 20 years, I know exactly how they will react. If I complain, they will simply say, "Dealers are independent businesses with their own private practices that we do not and cannot govern. We have essentially zero control over how a dealer may choose to sell and service the products we import. Sorry, we can't help you."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #25
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
Do you have anything in writing say that car is yours, or has it all been done by word?
I have no Sales Order whatsoever, but I do have my name listed as the customer on the BMW computer ordering sytem.

Why, what's your thinking?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #26
JordoM3
Rep
Drives:

I would not want my car to be treated as if it were the an autoshow vehicle; I have owned several BMWs as well and this is an issue different than one on which they defer to the dealer. This issue is one that deserves confirmation from BMW of NA. They will not do anything for you if it is in fact a BMW "policy," but at least you will know that the dealer is not lying to you. On the other hand, if you discover that it is not a BMW policy, you can confront the dealer and make a demand that the car be released to you sooner.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #27
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordoM3 View Post
I would not want my car to be treated as if it were the an autoshow vehicle; I have owned several BMWs as well and this is an issue different than one on which they defer to the dealer. This issue is one that deserves confirmation from BMW of NA. They will not do anything for you if it is in fact a BMW "policy," but at least you will know that the dealer is not lying to you. On the other hand, if you discover that it is not a BMW policy, you can confront the dealer and make a demand that the car be released to you sooner.
Helluva a good point. I've accepted as fact, from what I've read on 1Addicts and from my salesman, that 3/22 is 'the official launch date' and that dealer's run the risk of problems from BMWNA if they sell before that date. I'll call BMW tomorrow and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
thegelatoking
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post

Or if I was having a bad day, I would punch him in the face. Then look at the next sales person on the floor if they are willing to sell you your car if not, kick them in the junk. Keep this up until someone sells you the car or no one can stop you from grabbing the keys and driving away.
I haven't lauged so hard in a long time...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

What they are saying might hold water if not for the fact that there are obviously plenty of dealerships delivering 1ers prior to 3/22 (including mine). So what they are saying is pure shite, and they have only succeeded in painting themselves as the worst type of car dealership scum.

Just threaten to go to the BBB, I doubt it'll take more than that. Call their bluff and get your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #30
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR08NOVA View Post
I have no Sales Order whatsoever, but I do have my name listed as the customer on the BMW computer ordering sytem.

Why, what's your thinking?
At least you have something showing that car was ordered for you... I was worried that if it was all done by word then you would have nothing to stand on to take any action...

Threatening a letter to BMWNA and the BBB should get their attention... are there any other dealers close by? If so I would not want to buy a car from a Stealer like that... very shady and I would not give them my money.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #31
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I would just tell him to release it either on the launch date or get a big fat discount out of him. If he won't do either take your business elsewhere
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #32
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I would be absolutely irate - I would send an email to the gm and cc the owner of the dealership and the bmw rep stating how unhappy you are, what they intend to do to compensate you, if this is even legal, and how disappointed you are that you will have to wait again now that you are ordering from another dealership.

Principal is everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #33
alivebacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yeah my dealer said they have to follow the launch release date.

But he might be able to sneak the car on the 20th for me. I got a call two days ago and its already here. Thats the worst part, super tempting. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #34
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Until the papers are signed, they own the car. Yes it sucks, but if the car is a hot item, they aren't worried if you back out. AND you don't want to wait another 3 months do you? Do all you can and hopefully you get it on the official March 22 2008 launch. Otherwise be calm and MAKE SURE the car stays locked. Make them put a rope around the car. That dealers name should be spread all over so people can boycot them. GOOD LUCK.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #35
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Maybe the dealership would be willing to keep a count of the number of people who wander by and sit in your car and fiddle with your shifter and your radio. You could bet them on the over/under. If it's more than 500 people, you get a big discount; if it's less than 500 people, you get a free container of Zymol wipes for all of the fingerprints.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #36
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Well, you could always tell the guy that you are thinking of going public and/or walking away from the purchase but that you will be happy to take delivery of the car on the official Launch date and then bring it back for the launch event as long as you can be there with it. Of course, you should also negotiate a small discount for this as well, maybe $250 off or credit to use in the parts dept or something.

As someone else said, it might actually help sales to have a very satisfied customer there.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #37
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, you could always tell the guy that you are thinking of going public and/or walking away from the purchase but that you will be happy to take delivery of the car on the official Launch date and then bring it back for the launch event as long as you can be there with it. Of course, you should also negotiate a small discount for this as well, maybe $250 off or credit to use in the parts dept or something.

As someone else said, it might actually help sales to have a very satisfied customer there.

Sure, I'd be willing to hang out and tell prospects how much I (expect to) love the car, except.....I live two hours away from the dealer. So, that's a non-starter for me. Good idea though. I also like the idea about the credit in the Parts Dept.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #38
me1.0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I wouldn't care how long I had to wait for another dealer. I would tell the jerk to choke on it and walk away.

The thought of giving my money to someone like that is unacceptable. This guy (manager) is an example of douchebaggery at its finest.

I would also make a point to announce to your sales person when he gets a job at a reputable dealership, he will get your business again.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #39
Hermann
Rep
Drives:

kepping the car to the 22nd is understandabel, but to the 29th? i don`t know anything about us law, maybe the dealer is right to do so. but even if this is legal, i don`t think it`s a good salesmen practice. first thing in the job discription of a salesman is to sell cars not to hold em back. i think this is a highly inappropriate behavior. you wanted to get a brand new car from the factory, you didn`t want to have no showroom vehicle. ok the engine is still new but imagine 1200 fatasses everyday sitting in your driverseat, turning every knob, pushing every button, etc. no one i know would pay the price of the list for a showroom car. i believe they really want you to step back from the deal, because they can sell the car easily to someone else after they had their free showroom time.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #40
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Nova:

Are you a CCA member? One easy/free/quick option, if you are, is to use their Ombudsman service - you'll find it described in the back of every Roundel issue. "The dealer refused to sell me my car, on which he is holding my desposit, because of his advertising needs. Does the CCA view this as an acceptable biz practice?" would be a nice starting point.

My take is that the dealer is a Weenie for enforcing the 22nd date, as BMW USA obviously doesn't prevent some other dealers selling sooner. As for the 29th, consider making lemonade out of lemons: Explain to the GM that his dealership could experience a good deal of negative PR from imposing his advertising needs on a patient customer...BUT you can also appreciate he has needs, so what kind of accommodation can the two of you reach? (How much will he knock off on the extended warranty, what credit can he offer on accessories, and so on).

Good luck; keep us posted.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #41
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I agree with Hermann, I feel they want you to back out so they can show room it then maybe even get a schmuck to pay a surcharge. Another idea I had was if they choose to hold it until the 29th you will still take delivery, however you will not recommend the dealership to anyone, and have a window sticker made that says XXX dealer treated me poorly please do not support them or something. Or email him a letter that you will be mailing in to the local papers etc. Basically tell them you will do what you can to ensure that people know how that business operates.

I do not retract my previous statement about kicking the GM in the junk.
      03-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #42
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

On second thought, mail him a copy of this thread along with a letter and send other copies to the local news and BBB.

There seem to be more bad eggs in car dealerships than any other business. If I was in charge of a manufacturers dealer network, I would have prices set by market at the factory, along with procedures for things like this.

One thing I would also do is if BMW gives you a survey, mark everything poor, they get dinged financially for those at other manufacturers dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #43
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelatoking View Post
I haven't lauged so hard in a long time...
I think people in my cube farm a looking at me I was laughing so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #44
j_t_heilbrun
Rep
Drives:

IMHO you have no legal right to the car, they don't have any money from you for it so they can do what they want. I would try and put a deposit on it, my dealer requires $500, once you do that you have more of a claim to it. Then if they still want to hold it past the 22nd start contacting BMWNA.
Appreciate 0