BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
WanaGo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E87 120i N46B20B

Coolant Flush

Hi guys

So the joys of buying a used BMW, and not 100% knowing the service history, I somehow think the coolant in my car is not BMW, plus I don't know how long its been in there.
So I want to do a empty and flush, and refill with something correct.

Now I know there are dangers of filling one over the other and things can react, but to what extent do you have to go to with a flush to ensure that wont happen?

Is it case of using radiator flush, running for a bit as per bottle, let it cool, drain fluid, and putting the garden hose in and flushing out any more you can, filling again with just water, running the car and heater for a few minutes, and then flush out again, and then refill with coolant and distilled water mix?
Does that sound like it would do the trick?

2007 E87 120i N46B20B

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
DeepSpaced
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Using the garden hose for cleaning/filling coolant is typically reserved for last resort type stuff. Most city/well water is hard water that will lead to some scaling.

Buy several (>6) gallons of distilled water and use that. Set aside one of the gallons with your proper coolant. I usually take had of the concentrate and make a 50/50 mix. Once the water runs clear from the drain, I add the concentrate. Then I add the 50% mix until it's gone. Add distilled water til reservoir is full. Use a tester to verify 3 balls floating. Should be about -35f.

To speed refilling a N52, I pull the upper radiator hose. Make sure you get coolant all the way to the coolant pump and that the reservoir stays above the low mark.

Before starting would be a good time to "refresh" the plastic components in the coolant system. I've seen more dead BMW engines from a broken plastic connector than from anything else.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Imnuts
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpaced View Post
Using the garden hose for cleaning/filling coolant is typically reserved for last resort type stuff. Most city/well water is hard water that will lead to some scaling.

Buy several (>6) gallons of distilled water and use that. Set aside one of the gallons with your proper coolant. I usually take had of the concentrate and make a 50/50 mix. Once the water runs clear from the drain, I add the concentrate. Then I add the 50% mix until it's gone. Add distilled water til reservoir is full. Use a tester to verify 3 balls floating. Should be about -35f.

To speed refilling a N52, I pull the upper radiator hose. Make sure you get coolant all the way to the coolant pump and that the reservoir stays above the low mark.

Before starting would be a good time to "refresh" the plastic components in the coolant system. I've seen more dead BMW engines from a broken plastic connector than from anything else.
Looking at doing this. I was planning on replacing some of the hoses. Which plastic components would you suggest changing?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Any of them that look brown/maroon/have stress marks. Or any that you are thinking of disturbing. It is good to have a spare on hand if things don't cooperate. This can also include the radiator fittings themself.

Buy a can of silicone spray or rubber care aerosol and spray that into the female end of the couplings before prying on them. Use the same product to lube the fittings and orings before inserting.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:32 AM   #5
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

If you are going to do any of this, consider replacing the pump and thermostat too
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
DeepSpaced
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

+1 to the above.

I went to replace the coolant overflow hose from the driver's side of the upper radiator hose to the coolant reservoir. By the time I was done, I had broken the upper radiator hose connection and the radiator end on a 2011 e82 with 100k miles. Plastic already doesn't age well, and this plastic gets heat cycled every time you operate the car.

You could source an all aluminum setup with silicone hoses, but that would set you back about $1200-$1500.
Appreciate 0