BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #45
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

anywhere that we should stop on the way? What route do you all take up from atlanta?

I'm taking the wife and kids up there saturday to check it out, before I go on a group cruise
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #46
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Hope this helps...questions? just ask
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
http://www.dealsgap.com/
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps.html
      08-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #47
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

we were gonna go up 400 with this route

is there any place in particular up there we should not miss? I've been to all those websites already they don't really help too much other than for maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=11
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #48
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

If you have not been on Wolf Pen Gap Road before you will like it a lot...read 15MPH posted switch backs.

Places inbetween...most of us usually go for the twisties and don't stop for the stuff inbetween except to eat/bathroom. You are not going to find any "great" places to each. The only place I liked to stop other than Crossroads is The NOC Center, Nantahala Outdoor Center, http://www.noc.com/
The food is good, the scenery is beauty and the route is awesome. The Dragon is about 1 hour from this point and well worth changing your route to include.

If you have the time taking the route that includes Wayah Road just outside Franklin NC is one of the best roads to take. Lots of twisties, the scenery is great. It will take you by Nantahalla Lake, Natahalla River and ultimately right to NOC.

If you plan to drive aggressively some of your passengers might consider taking dramamine along...just in case. Or take some plastic bags for those "Buick Moments"...helps to keep the car a little cleaner
Call
      08-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #49
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
If you have not been on Wolf Pen Gap Road before you will like it a lot...read 15MPH posted switch backs.

Places inbetween...most of us usually go for the twisties and don't stop for the stuff inbetween except to eat/bathroom. You are not going to find any "great" places to each. The only place I liked to stop other than Crossroads is The NOC Center, Nantahala Outdoor Center, http://www.noc.com/
The food is good, the scenery is beauty and the route is awesome. The Dragon is about 1 hour from this point and well worth changing your route to include.

If you have the time taking the route that includes Wayah Road just outside Franklin NC is one of the best roads to take. Lots of twisties, the scenery is great. It will take you by Nantahalla Lake, Natahalla River and ultimately right to NOC.

If you plan to drive aggressively some of your passengers might consider taking dramamine along...just in case. Or take some plastic bags for those "Buick Moments"...helps to keep the car a little cleaner
Call
wolf pen has some 10 mph corners too

I love signs like this

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #50
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

new non-RFT tires going on tomorrow.
Hotchkis front sway going on as soon as Way calls me back to set up a date.

i'm ready again.
let's go.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #51
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
new non-RFT tires going on tomorrow.
Hotchkis front sway going on as soon as Way calls me back to set up a date.

i'm ready again.
let's go.

Trust me you could do the front sway yourself with some ramps and basic tools. My 10yr old son and I did it a few weeks back in about 1.5hrs (that includes getting the car situated right to access sway bar.)

Anyone doing anything this weekend? I am willing to drive up to the ATL area to meet if anyone has plans....so bored down here in Columbus
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #52
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Yep, the sway bar is really simple. I wouldn't pay anyone more than $50 to do it.

adrean8j,

Did you find out if any of the Oktoberfest Driving Schools still have openings. Wednesday(the day I am there) looks like there should still be plenty of slots. I think you can do the one day school for $230.

Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Trust me you could do the front sway yourself with some ramps and basic tools. My 10yr old son and I did it a few weeks back in about 1.5hrs (that includes getting the car situated right to access sway bar.)

Anyone doing anything this weekend? I am willing to drive up to the ATL area to meet if anyone has plans....so bored down here in Columbus

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #53
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Yep, the sway bar is really simple. I wouldn't pay anyone more than $50 to do it.

adrean8j,

Did you find out if any of the Oktoberfest Driving Schools still have openings. Wednesday(the day I am there) looks like there should still be plenty of slots. I think you can do the one day school for $230.

Kenny
Hey Kenny,

You blazed the trail for me man! I just signed up for the one day school on Wed. and the AutoX on Thursday, and added the Bimmermeet on Sat. for good measure. Now to get that helmet...I have a motorcycle helmet but I don't think that will work (and it looks so cool...LOL).

Marc
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #54
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Hey Kenny,

You blazed the trail for me man! I just signed up for the one day school on Wed. and the AutoX on Thursday, and added the Bimmermeet on Sat. for good measure. Now to get that helmet...I have a motorcycle helmet but I don't think that will work (and it looks so cool...LOL).

Marc
Awesome, I think there are now at least 6 135's in the Wednesday driving school now. Im still looking for a helmet. I need to find somewhere to go try some on.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #55
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Awesome, I think there are now at least 6 135's in the Wednesday driving school now. Im still looking for a helmet. I need to find somewhere to go try some on.
Well I was doing some research online for helmets and found the apexperformance website: http://www.racinghelmets.net/

Prices seem to be in the range I am looking for. Maybe one of the guys in ATL know a good shop we can visit to try some on?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #56
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

i'd do it myself i had a place and tools to do it. i live downtown, no garage, no tools, no ramps. i'll see if Way will do it for less than $75.
new tires are getting put on tonight! woohoo!!

Appreciate 0