BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #45
Muppet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

You need to search through the multitude of threads and you will find a recommended adjustment for front and rear. Used this with BMWP springs and it worked really well. The difference to stock is surprisingly large.

I think it was 3/4 turn on the front and 1.5 turns at the rear. Persist with searching.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #46
mmmusty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 alpine white 128i

I agree. I wish I remembered the setting I did back then regardless. Good thing to remember to either record a video, or write it down somewhere to remember. But search.

I would go more aggressive rather than not if all else fails and you have to guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #47
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

For koni yellow with performance springs, use something around:
Front: 1.25 ~ 1.5 turns from full soft.
Rear: 3/4 turn from full soft.

If you want them softer for maximum comfort you can use around 1.0 turn front and 1/2 turn rear.
Appreciate 2
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      05-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #48
mmmusty
Private First Class
Rep

Do you feel this setting is mated to the BMW performance springs John?

Wherever I set mine, I feel is too soft.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:32 AM   #49
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmusty View Post
Do you feel this setting is mated to the BMW performance springs John?

Wherever I set mine, I feel is too soft.
I think its a great match with performance springs. It has compliance for a reasonable level of comfort and is not a completely solid bolted-down feeling on the road. I used this setup with upgraded front sway bar for track driving as well as road use. I got a lot more grip and stability in track driving when using the Koni Yellow compared to the BMW performance shocks and struts which were kind of "floaty". Some people like their track car to have a rock-solid feeling, but personally I don't think its necessary for my usage and it would cause excessive harshness.

I also use the polyurethane upper rear shock mounting bush from Powerflex. Since I changed the bush and shocks at the same time I don't know how much difference is due to the bushing alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #50
mmmusty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I think its a great match with performance springs. It has compliance for a reasonable level of comfort and is not a completely solid bolted-down feeling on the road. I used this setup with upgraded front sway bar for track driving as well as road use. I got a lot more grip and stability in track driving when using the Koni Yellow compared to the BMW performance shocks and struts which were kind of "floaty". Some people like their track car to have a rock-solid feeling, but personally I don't think its necessary for my usage and it would cause excessive harshness.

I also use the polyurethane upper rear shock mounting bush from Powerflex. Since I changed the bush and shocks at the same time I don't know how much difference is due to the bushing alone.
I agree John, I think I may have read something similar to what you said for the ratings when I originally tuned the Koni. Im happy to hear you have experience with the BMW performance shocks and think these are less floaty, because I was debating if that was a good choice (the BMW kit comes with so much more too)!

I also changed my rear subframe bushings at the same time. The car used to have a VERY floaty rear end... this has been cured by far and wide now. I think it has a lot to do with the rear subframe bushings the nice planted feel of the rear end... it just trails now, much better balance, weight shift (not sure if this is correct terminology). Sharp but compliant.

When I first drove the car, I was shocked by how just how compliant it was. I thought they were set too soft... until I started leaning on the car in corners, and going through transitions. Really cool thing to experience how as you corner harder, and the suspension settles in, how sharp the car becomes, and how shifting energy from breaking, changing direction, accelerating is effortless and light. Very confidence inspiring car with great feel and feedback IMHumbleO.

All in all, I am thrilled with the cars handling and performance now. Combined with the bump in power from the 3 stage intake and AA tune, small amount of weight savings from rear seat delete, muffler delete and lighter APEX wheels... this car is the most awesome modern day BMW to have in a city like LA. perfectly balanced power and handling, canyon driving is outstanding way to use this car.
Appreciate 0