BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Remove Air Intake Hose = Deeper/Louder Sound

Hey guys, so i found that by removing number #12 plastic "hose" piece in the picture, effectively disconnecting the cold air front intake, the car sounds MUCH louder and meaner.

I was just wondering if this could do any other damage that i may not be aware of? Obviously since the #12 piece of "hose" is no longer there, once the engine warms up, it will be sucking up hotter air from the engine bay.

Apart from decrease in performance, could this be bad for the car, and could it mess up MAF readings and cause the ECU to do funny things?

I would assume you would get better performance while the engine is still cold due to the less restrictive air intake? However, when the engine warms up, you see the opposite from what i have seen.

Thoughts? Basically I just want to know if it could have damaging effects.. As the car has no temperature gauge, i can't see if things are getting too hot..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Stealth135i
Turbo Lover
South Africa
Rep
Drives: N55 135i 2010

hey bro, it shouldnt cause too much trouble with the maf that i could think of, heat soak will be bad and only things such as maybe the filter getting dirtier quicker and more higher chance of water getting on the filter.... Just kinda like an intake where you not using the cold air scoops and just making more noise as there is less parts to muffle the sound..

also we still need to meet and take some pics! saw your car the other day and your rims look awesome they make a big difference!...
      08-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth135i View Post
hey bro, it shouldnt cause too much trouble with the maf that i could think of, heat soak will be bad and only things such as maybe the filter getting dirtier quicker and more higher chance of water getting on the filter.... Just kinda like an intake where you not using the cold air scoops and just making more noise as there is less parts to muffle the sound..

also we still need to meet and take some pics! saw your car the other day and your rims look awesome they make a big difference!...
Thanks dude. Yeah saw u as well, only realized it was you as I passed though. Noticed your rims as well though, looks awesome!

Definitely need to get together for some pics, also need to check our your mods!

Lemme know when u keen and we can organise something.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Your car being NA it will affect performance. With NA motors you want as much cold air coming in as you can. It will be sucking in all that hot air from your engine bay less dense air less HP.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Your car being NA it will affect performance. With NA motors you want as much cold air coming in as you can. It will be sucking in all that hot air from your engine bay less dense air less HP.
Thanks for the reply.

I know as much, but just wanted to know if it could do any damage as such.

Quote:
Apart from decrease in performance, could this be bad for the car, and could it mess up MAF readings and cause the ECU to do funny things?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Any other advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Well I consider a loss of power "damage". I guess its how you see it. I doubt there would be any problems with the hardware.
If you wanted the same noise id put the hose back on but take off the upper cowl scoops. That gives a deeper noise and you won't have a huge head soak issue.
      08-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

Sounds like a piss-poor idea to me. Now the factory way of getting cold(er) air into your motor is completely useless, and you're constantly pumping hot air into the engine.

Want to make her louder while being cheap? Check the upper intake tube (after the airbox) for a silencer. Also open the airbox up. There might be a small charcoal filter in there that is for emissions purposes only.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks guys lol at piss poor idea

It's just for fun really.. Not a permanent thing. Performance is great when the car first starts up, but after the engine gets warm and it's a sunny day already, then the performance sucks haha.

Will check out for the emissions filter, not keen on modding the silencer really.
Appreciate 0