BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Cobb - intake required for stage 2

So we all know that to run Cobb stage 2, it is a requirement to have an upgraded intake. And I have also been informed that a drop-in filter will suffice as an "upgraded intake".

The thing is, there are numerous threads not just debating the performance increase of an aftermarket intake (DCI, CAI) to stock box, but also drop-in filters to the OEM paper filter. These threads (with testing) show negligible gains in performance.

So the question is, if there is not much performance gain with an aftermarket/upgraded intake, why does Cobb state it to be a requirement to 'upgrade' the OEM intake whilst using stage 2?

I know I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but I just can't see it. Thanks for schooling me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

It's one of those things you can check for easily by logging. I reverted back to stock airbox after 2 different intakes and aside from the noise, I notice almost no difference in performance. I think the vacuum sound is sort of a placebo effect.
      02-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Leave the OE box be or get a dci type intake, IMO drop ins are a complete waste of money. That being said, until you start pushing over 16psi or so, a dci really doesn't do squat. People are running sub 12 quarter miles with the stock box, an intake shouldn't be a primary concern. Mine was free, or i'd still be using the stock box.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
So we all know that to run Cobb stage 2, it is a requirement to have an upgraded intake. And I have also been informed that a drop-in filter will suffice as an "upgraded intake".

The thing is, there are numerous threads not just debating the performance increase of an aftermarket intake (DCI, CAI) to stock box, but also drop-in filters to the OEM paper filter. These threads (with testing) show negligible gains in performance.

So the question is, if there is not much performance gain with an aftermarket/upgraded intake, why does Cobb state it to be a requirement to 'upgrade' the OEM intake whilst using stage 2?

I know I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but I just can't see it. Thanks for schooling me.
First off, stage 2 does not require an upgraded intake. It's suggested, but not required. It is required when you jump to 2+ though.

Once you go to 2+, you are really pushing more boost, which requires more air through the intake. Now whether or not you really need to upgrade the intake, I don't know. I'm not an engineer. However, Cobb has had a lot more time testing and tuning their AP than myself, so I'm inclined to take their suggestions and recommendations pretty heavily. They've got a great product. Why compromise it?

With all that said, it's your car. If through reading information on the interwebz, you feel comfortable that you will get zero performance gain and run little risk doing damage to your car by not following Cobb's recommendation, then I wish you luck my friend. We would definitely be interested in the outcome.
      02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

And on a different note they also say that a axel back muffler upgrade is required? Now we all know from various threads that an axel back system shows minimal gains if any because the bottle neck is way up the exhaust line. That said if you're really pushing some boost then more boost = more fuel = more exhaust therefore we need better airflow but you'd think that they would recommend going to a minimum of a 3" piping and not recommending just an upgraded axle back?? Anyone care to chime in on this one? Sorry for the thread jacking but it's sorta relevant?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane View Post
And on a different note they also say that a axel back muffler upgrade is required? Now we all know from various threads that an axel back system shows minimal gains if any because the bottle neck is way up the exhaust line. That said if you're really pushing some boost then more boost = more fuel = more exhaust therefore we need better airflow but you'd think that they would recommend going to a minimum of a 3" piping and not recommending just an upgraded axle back?? Anyone care to chime in on this one? Sorry for the thread jacking but it's sorta relevant?
According to what I see on their site, for stage 2 they recommend a cat back exhaust, not axle back. And of course downpipes are required. between the dp's and cat back your are getting rid of all the cats. Which, of course, will improve exhaust flow.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane View Post
According to what I see on their site, for stage 2 they recommend a cat back exhaust, not axle back. And of course downpipes are required. between the dp's and cat back your are getting rid of all the cats. Which, of course, will improve exhaust flow.
Ah catback makes sense now my bad I misread.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Leave the OE box be or get a dci type intake, IMO drop ins are a complete waste of money. That being said, until you start pushing over 16psi or so, a dci really doesn't do squat. People are running sub 12 quarter miles with the stock box, an intake shouldn't be a primary concern. Mine was free, or i'd still be using the stock box.

I just like the spooling noise, that was enough for me to drop $90 lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
First off, stage 2 does not require an upgraded intake. It's suggested, but not required. It is required when you jump to 2+ though.

Once you go to 2+, you are really pushing more boost, which requires more air through the intake. Now whether or not you really need to upgrade the intake, I don't know. I'm not an engineer. However, Cobb has had a lot more time testing and tuning their AP than myself, so I'm inclined to take their suggestions and recommendations pretty heavily. They've got a great product. Why compromise it?

With all that said, it's your car. If through reading information on the interwebz, you feel comfortable that you will get zero performance gain and run little risk doing damage to your car by not following Cobb's recommendation, then I wish you luck my friend. We would definitely be interested in the outcome.
Ah yes, sorry, my bad. I was going off memory and should've checked before posting, but yeah - I meant 2+.

As some of you have already mentioned, keep the stock box and save some dough... or DCI... The general consensus I'm feeling here is that if you need more volume of air, get the DCI to help with pushing boost. I get that, and that makes sense. But what about the temps of that air that is being sucked in? It's also widely acknowledged that a DCI will suck in warmer air than the stock box. So.... colder air is denser than warmer air - that being said, the increase in volume of warmer air, is countered by the fact that warmer air is less dense.

As Experimental has already mentioned, I'm sure Cobb is up there with the research, and for them to suggest that an upgraded intake is required for stage 2+, I don't doubt them. But with the options we have for today's market, are we only left with Mr5 intake, or the relatively expensive Dinan intake as a true upgraded intake? I say this because little if any performance gains have been shown with other types of intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Personally, I went with a used Afe stage 2 sealed intake. It gets me better airflow, most likely with lower temps than DCI or the unsealed version, and the intake sound of the turbos is slightly more noticeable than stock.

If you are trying to keep costs down and Cobb requires some kind of intake upgrade for 2+, I would just go with something like the Afe panel filter so that you can keep the OEM airbox.