BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m aw (kwv3) meisterschaf

Help! Big rattle in the front

I guys, i have a kw v3 kit installed on my 1m, since the installation, there is a big rattle in the front (somewere near the engin) i went back to the garage and i looked with the mecanics and notting is loose or rong with the suspension, did not see annyting loose or vibrating...the suspension is not even harder on small bumps..

I dont here the sound on every bump, even some big bumps, i here it the most wen i drive over joints on briges or overpast.. And some times juste the roadvibration make it go..

It,s a big braaaa braaaaa, it seams to be metalic...

Another member seems to have the same problem!

Canot live with that

Please help, sorry for the spelling.. I m french.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have the same sound.
i had the front mount pins removed for more camber...this pushed the front bars in a little. I did notice the bolts were touching the front cowl this past weekend. i added a couple small felt pads to the bolt. Have yet to drive the car...but will do so this friday. Also planning to drive with the rear seats down just to listen to other sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Mabe good news.. Thank, but please give me some news!!, i,m starting to hate my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
I have the same sound.
i had the front mount pins removed for more camber...this pushed the front bars in a little. I did notice the bolts were touching the front cowl this past weekend. i added a couple small felt pads to the bolt. Have yet to drive the car...but will do so this friday. Also planning to drive with the rear seats down just to listen to other sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES1M View Post
Mabe good news.. Thank, but please give me some news!!, i,m starting to hate my car
Man, that is rough...."hate?" You took perfectly good car, change the suspension that BMW M Engineers spent years developing between the M3 and 1M, tested at Nurburgring, over and over again and changed it to some aftermarket job and now you hate the car?

That's a bit harsh IMO. I hope you get it right but I wouldn't blame the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Man, that is rough...."hate?" You took perfectly good car, change the suspension that BMW M Engineers spent years developing between the M3 and 1M, tested at Nurburgring, over and over again and changed it to some aftermarket job and now you hate the car?

09-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Dont need that coment! Go to sleep!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

Drove the car today and the felt pad didnt help with the sound.

I checked under the car and noticed a metal bracket (by the downpipe) that holds the bottom plastic undertray was loose. I hit the undertray a few times and the sound it made isnt the braaa braaa sound. I'll do more checking this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Drove the car today and the felt pad didnt help with the sound.

I checked under the car and noticed a metal bracket (by the downpipe) that holds the bottom plastic undertray was loose. I hit the undertray a few times and the sound it made isnt the braaa braaa sound. I'll do more checking this weekend.
It looks like the inside of the wheel might be hitting the lower adjustable mount of the spring. Will have to look into it more tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

ThAnks!!, i,m still checking.....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
ThAnks!!, i,m still checking.....
I had the V3 installed yesterday and have the same issue. metalic noice, braaaaaa, first while braking from higher speeds, got worse though. currently in de shop having it looked at. no luck up till now..... not happy at all with this :-((
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

At least its good to know this is isolated to the KW V3.

Doubtful there's any inside rubbing from the wheel to spring perch. There's a good amount of clearance, and i've also added a 5mm spacer and the sound is still there. There's no evidence of any rubbing marks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I
Quote:
Doubtful there's any inside rubbing from the wheel to spring perch. There's a good amount of clearance, and i've also added a 5mm spacer and the sound is still there. There's no evidence of any rubbing marks.
I agree, it's for sure not that.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

my shop spent hours trying to find the cause. Dismounted covers, checked every screw, dismounted the struttbrace. after this we concluded the sound comes from the front left and is only transferred through the struttbrace making it sound coming from the front middle.

that's it. they have no clue. next step would be taking the damper off and taken it apart. so disappointed. they will call KW for a solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

So sounds like the strut bar connection to the center bolt could be the problem. That was one of the suspects (but i didnt have the correct torx socket). My other suspect was it was coming from the rear (around the parcel shelf/possibly rear seat fold-down latch)

Keep us posted on what you find marcel. A local KW vendor might stop by my house tomorrow to check out the noise, hopefully i can replicate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
1erMCoupe
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 M

Hi colleagues,

i have the KW V3 installed since 2 months. No rattle at all.....and i was already doing a drift event with the suspension installed. How much did you lower the car? Mine has 335mm from the middle of the wheel to the fender. And thats the maximum at the front before it starts scratching with 4 person in the car inside the fender.
      09-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've it lowered 2cm in front 0.5 in the back, so not really low.
the struttbrace is not causing the noice, it just transfers it. with the brace of it was still there.
I drive 200 miles this evening and I have the braaaa noise also on certain bumps (crossing overpasses on the highway), so not only while braking.
My front rotors are warped by the way, this probably explains why I have this noise also while braking.

Last edited by marcel b; 09-19-2011 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

in addition, the noise is not related to having the wheels touching the fender. I have it when braking gently and I didn't have it when going to a huge compression on the Ring (Fuchröhre). I could hear rubbing in the front, but minor and it is not the braaaa noise we are talking about here.

Last edited by marcel b; 09-19-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
At least its good to know this is isolated to the KW V3.

I have some rubber marks on the first and second coils on the RT side ... not sure if it's from the tire touching the spring or from the rubber bites flying off the cars at the track day ...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So happy i,m not the only one..., hope the kw guys will find the problem! I loward my car 1.4" in the front
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So happy i,m not the only one..., hope the kw guys will find the problem! I loward my car 1.4" in the front
absolutely. It shows it is not related to the install at least, or to a specific car. Will make some calls today.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Goin to the shop again this week for the rattle!!, hope we find someting!, keek you guys posted, and please do the same!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I am in contact with KW Germany, they are looking into this issue. I will get an update this week. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0