BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Check Out an Art Car in Your Own Backyard!

Hey guys. Just found out that Frank Stella's M1 Procar ArtCar was purchased by the owner of BMW SouthHampton and will be on display in the showroom there for a bit.

You guys should definitely take the opportunity to trip it out to the Hamptons and check it out.

Quote:
Art cars are growing in popularity, with a number of automakers and their subsidiaries getting on board the trend. But BMW is where it all started. The German automaker has been at it since 1975. A good blogger's dozen of them have been commissioned for BMW over the years, and every one of them has remained in the company's private collection. Except one.

That one is the M1 Procar you see here, painted by Frank Stella in 1979. It remains the only example in the series that was created for a private individual with BMW's blessing. After years in the Guggenheim, Bonhams auctioned it off a couple of months ago at Monterey for a whopping $854,000 – well above estimate.

So who bought it? Jonathan Sobel, owner of (among other interests) BMW of Southampton, way out at the eastern end of New York's Long Island. The dealership is just settling in to its new showroom on Montauk Highway, and that's where the M1 art car will be showcased for much of the new year ahead. So if your plans include a trip out to the Hamptons, you may want to stop by for a rare glimpse.

link to article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/07/f...-the-hamptons/

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Hey guys. Just found out that Frank Stella's M1 Procar ArtCar was purchased by the owner of BMW SouthHampton and will be on display in the showroom there for a bit.

You guys should definitely take the opportunity to trip it out to the Hamptons and check it out.

link to article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/07/f...-the-hamptons/

you mean right next to the MINI dealer whose had two mini coupes all summer?

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
you mean right next to the MINI dealer whose had two mini coupes all summer?
yessir

Appreciate 0