BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #111
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1019 View Post
Monaco Blue 135i + Sports Package + iPod/USB + Black Letherette + Aluminum Trim

$37,550

Sweet.
u forgot to add 500 for metallic paint and 700 ish for destination.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #112
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
u forgot to add 500 for metallic paint and 700 ish for destination.
nope. he added correctly. check your numbers again! cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #113
s1d
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonty View Post
It blows my mind someone would pay 2100 for nav when a 300 dollar garmin would do a much better job.
I totally agree with this. Personally I don't care if I have to attach the garmin to the interior, the price isn't worth it, and the garmin is easier to update.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #114
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Sports, leather, comfort, cold, looking at 39k. Going to be too rich unless I'd be able to get one for invoice. Even then...

Maybe a Camaro or Evo MR after all. Glad I got time to see how all this plays out. Or maybe a used GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #115
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaking View Post
A Microsoft In Sync, which is less than $400, is available on many Fords.
Yet not on Infinity?! :iono:

Quote:
You get what standard in this car?
You get a twin turbo 6 and Brembo brakes. Please, if you can find this somewhere else "in this class" let me know, because I would dearly love to try out the competition, maybe save some money in the process.

There is of course nothing wrong with being turned off by the price and buying something different. But people sometimes get hung up on these trivial things - Bluetooth and butt-warmers are definitely NOT what makes a BMW.

That's why you get so many people contemptuosly remarking on the ripp-off that BMW's are - usually without ever having driven one. Then they drive one, it blows their mind away, and they finally get it.

When I shop for a daily driver in this price range, I look for a certain amount of practicality as a given. But beyond that, the car must speak to me on many levels, must entertain me for as long as I own it. iPod connection is great (I have it on my 335) but if that stood between me and getting a car that drives the way I want, I would always choose the stripped base car, and to hell with the iPod connection.

But that's just me...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #116
m3ish
Rep
Drives:

Look at the competition

At first I felt like the priceing was a bit high too, but then I considered what else was in this segment. Arguably there are very few cars that can match the performance specs from the factory under 40k.

I owned a 2005 STi and loved the performance, but craved a bit more luxury after a while. Then along comes the 1 series. More power than the STi, but with luxury built in, all for less than the new STi. The best part is that if I want more luxury, all I have to do is pick some opitons. If I want more sport, I just don't get those options. The STi didn't even have any options to speak of until the 'limited' edition came out for a few grand more (but still no options).

Before I sold my STi, I considered putting 5k into the interior to make it a bit more plush, but in the end I couldn't justify the expense to make the STi more luxurious when things like Porsche's and BMWs were out there with a more desirable balance b/t sport and luxury. I also knew I most likely wouldn't get any real money back out of those mods at resale. For me a big selling feature of the 135 and why I think the pricing is pretty good is that there is no other car that gives you this kind of performance and luxury in this small car/under $40k segment. Not everyone wants a bigger 3 series, some of us are looking for this exact package.

Info: 2008 STi is 34,995: http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071115....cing-confirmed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #117
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ish View Post
Not everyone wants a bigger 3 series, some of us are looking for this exact package.
:headbang: Can we please make this the 1Addicts motto? :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #118
imported_Captain Chaos
Future 135i Driver
Rep
Drives:

My 135i:
Car 29,000
Graphite 475
Sports Pack 1,000
Steptronic 1,275
Heated Seats 500
Comfort Acess 500
Ipod 400
HiFi Upgrade 875
Delivery 2,150
Total 36,175

*Military Sales FTW

22 USAF Deployed to Iraq

Back in January 2008 :drinking:

Back to Iraq May 08
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #119
nirvana19
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 Lotus Evora GT, 91 M5

Its funny, my 1989 535i daily driver had many of the things people are complaining about standard. Power seats, heated seats, heated rear seats, (heated everything including door handles mirrors washer) memory seats, oil cooler, auto-dimming (canada only at the time) and a million more things you would never expect. Back then everything except for the headlight washing system and cold weather package were standard. No comfort access, bluetooth, ipod, or navigation but i guess you can't have everything :smile:. the 535i also cost me less than the 135s premium package and is far more of a joy to drive daily than the 03 330Ci I had. go figure..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #120
imported_TYE
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
You obviously don't know how to price out a car...some options are overlapping, meaning...you get the cold weather package, you're getting the heated seats...so you can't add both.

A quick run through yielded a highest price config at $47420.

And that include HD, Premium, and SAT radio...as I don't know if they are additive or exclusive...

That being said, anyone who loads a 1er up like that isn't the target market to begin with...

pfft...I with anyone else who's fine with seeing people bitch about the pricing. If you were expecting cheap prices, you're looking at the wrong brand. And those that are saying they'll get a pontiac instead...well, I don't know how to respond to that other than to say
I was considering a 135i to run as a track car. I merely was reitterating the article, not pricing it out for myself. Expecting cheap prices I was not at all being I have owned bmws almost exclusively. For me, I have an extremely modded e36 for street and track, so I took the 135i off my list a long time ago as I decided Im going to step up to a GT3.
      11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #121
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYE View Post
so I took the 135i off my list a long time ago as I decided Im going to step up to a GT3.
I hate you.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #122
ChiTown2
FNG
Rep
Drives:

Hello all!

Funny how history repeats itself. I remember over on e90post.com for the release of the new 3. When the pricing for the E90 came out it was the same comments I see around here. too expensive, a rip off, not worth it, going to buy a ----- instead, etc.
You can either afford a new BMW or you can't. It should seem that if you're already buying a $30,000 + car, a few more thousand shouldn't break the deal. Nothing drives like a BMW..... But hey what do I know....

As for the 128 that I want, I'll be getting a base model myself + sport, heated seats, and doing a ED to help save more cash, and tool around Europe for a week or so. The 128 should track and autocross just fine for me.
I did the whole custom order thing and Performance Center Delivery on my 06' 325XiT, ending up almost fully optioned, and I won't make that mistake again. After all the options I paid for with my E91, I just get the feeling that the value was lost somewhere...
Thousands of dollars worth of gadgets doesn't make the car drive any better IMHO. The Garmin Streetpilot used on my bike blows away the BMW nav., enough that I sometimes put the garmin in my car on top of the stock GPS.

To each his own I guess, if I spent a lot of time in it I might want more options, but I don't commute at all, and 8 months a year I'm on my Beemer anyway.

just my 2¢
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #123
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Pretty much came in to exactly what I had planned. I was planning to get this as a performance car with some luxury. I don't have a family to worry about, so a small car like this is perfect. All I need is a couple options and I'm good to go + ED. I am now sure about getting the 135i.
Sparkling Graphite + Black Leatherette + Sports + USB.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #124
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

ChiTown - welcome, nice first post!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #125
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Hello all!

Funny how history repeats itself. I remember over on e90post.com for the release of the new 3. When the pricing for the E90 came out it was the same comments I see around here. too expensive, a rip off, not worth it, going to buy a ----- instead, etc.
You can either afford a new BMW or you can't. It should seem that if you're already buying a $30,000 + car, a few more thousand shouldn't break the deal. Nothing drives like a BMW..... But hey what do I know....

As for the 128 that I want, I'll be getting a base model myself + sport, heated seats, and doing a ED to help save more cash, and tool around Europe for a week or so. The 128 should track and autocross just fine for me.
I did the whole custom order thing and Performance Center Delivery on my 06' 325XiT, ending up almost fully optioned, and I won't make that mistake again. After all the options I paid for with my E91, I just get the feeling that the value was lost somewhere...
Thousands of dollars worth of gadgets doesn't make the car drive any better IMHO. The Garmin Streetpilot used on my bike blows away the BMW nav., enough that I sometimes put the garmin in my car on top of the stock GPS.

To each his own I guess, if I spent a lot of time in it I might want more options, but I don't commute at all, and 8 months a year I'm on my Beemer anyway.

just my 2¢
Exactly. I don't know what some people were thinking this car was going to cost, but the pricing breakdown is pretty typical of BMW. This car has very few competitors and those that do compete are pretty close in base price. Furthermore, BMW has free maintanence for 4/50k miles, something that cannot be said for any contemporary competitor.

This a BMW folks, did anybody really think they were going to suddenly slash their margins on a car that is already probably the least profitable vehicle they offer here in the states? I hate to say it, but you gotta pay to play in the automotive world and this is just another instance of it. You want 0-60 in under 5 seconds, a well balanced ride, a quality interior, and good build quality for under 40K? I don't really know what else offers that...

Though I may not end up getting this car (I am trying to decide whether I can swing such a large purchase at this point in my life), it certainly will not be because I felt it was a bad value.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #126
FUNKEJAY
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Hey, if you think $35,675 is steep, wait until the Canadian prices are released (we typically get hit with anywhere from 10% - 30% premiums over and above US prices).... Add to that the fact that our dollar will likely remain at par or slightly better than the US dollar for some time to come, I'm not sure selling my 2000 XKR to pick up the 135i is such a good deal anymore.

Too bad too, as I'm first on the list with my local dealer when they finally arrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #127
FTD
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Hello all!

just my 2¢
While I agree that IF a few thousand dollars will make make the car unattainable for someone, they should not be buying a $30,000 car.

I believe, BMW's goal is to price this car so that they meet their sales targets while maximizing profits. It is a buisiness decision for them. We should treat our financial situation the same way. As smart consumers we should try to get the most for our dollar. For each buyer there needs to be justification for the cost of the vehicle with respect to all the other cars on the market. Not only with regards to the rest of the BMW lineup.

Many will decide the 135 is worth the money, many will not. For different reasons. It isn't necessary for everyone to agree.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #128
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
While I agree that IF a few thousand dollars will make make the car unattainable for someone, they should not be buying a $30,000 car.

I believe, BMW's goal is to price this car so that they meet their sales targets while maximizing profits. It is a buisiness decision for them. We should treat our financial situation the same way. As smart consumers we should try to get the most for our dollar. For each buyer there needs to be justification for the cost of the vehicle with respect to all the other cars on the market. Not only with regards to the rest of the BMW lineup.

Many will decide the 135 is worth the money, many will not. For different reasons. It isn't necessary for everyone to agree.

Well said..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #129
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
My 135i:
Car 29,000
Graphite 475
Sports Pack 1,000
Steptronic 1,275
Heated Seats 500
Comfort Acess 500
Ipod 400
HiFi Upgrade 875
Delivery 2,150
Total 36,175

*Military Sales FTW

22 USAF Deployed to Iraq

Back in January 2008 :drinking:

Back to Iraq May 08

Captain,

First of all I am jealous, but you deserve the discount.

Second, gods speed to you and your buddies in Iraq!
      11-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #130
ska
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

$3300 for ZPP...are you crazy
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #131
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
You can either afford a new BMW or you can't.
That's probably a little simplistic and such comments are getting a little tiresome. If someone can afford $30K, then they can probably swing $35K. The price is what I expected, but I'm still not totally convinced that it's worth it and I think that's the problem that people are having with the prices. Obviously YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #132
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Captain Chaos your list makes it so hard for me to pull the trigger on buyin a 135 now, or waiting until I am deployed to get one. I won't be for at least another year, but I am due for a new car now and have been waiting patiently for this one. Hopefully the lease deals aren't horrible and I can lease until deployed then buy one.