BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
100fires
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sports

Track Day Options in Brisbane

Hi all,

Just a quick question on track days in Brisbane.
What is the best venue / format ?

I'm not looking for racing, rather a chance to try the car out in a controlled environment.

Also, what are your thoughts about running a stock 125i / 135i at the track ? Not as a regular thing, just a couple of times a year ? Stock RFT ? Pads etc..

I guess the next question that would pop-up is about insurance....

Thoughts....

Just traded-in my 125i M-Sports - 6MT, Black Sapphire, Xenon, HiFi 10 Speaker....... goodbye my old friend ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Saturday arvo sprints at QR are good, you can do a one-off or a "season". They use the Clubman circuit for the afternoon. As a newbie you'll get put in a first-timers group rather than the category you normally would be based on engine & induction (turbo/super-charged cars go up a category).

I think Lakeside has some club track days running again now too which would be good to get to.

Insurance is generally not available to you while you're on the track, but unless you really overcook it you should be fine. There are strict rules about passing enforeced on the QR Sprints.

Afterall, there's no trophy at the end of the day!

Track days are harder on your car and things wear more, but unless you're driving like the devil himself you shouldn't destroy everything in a day.

If you don't like the idea of putting your car on the track (but really, it's worth doing at least once) then you should probably consider one of the performance driving courses by BMW.

Better still, do both
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've gone to many track days that Paul Ruzic puts on at QR. They're very well run & we've used 4 different track configuration including the full track. Start off in the slow group & run at your own pace. Next is Feb 24.
The track days that the Qld BMW club runs at Morgan Park (great track!), Lakeside & QR are pretty good too. Check out the BMW Qld club website for dates, prices etc. Much cheaper than BMW training days and usually some good instructors & racers willing to drive you round or be your passenger to help out with lines, braking etc.
Just do it! You won't regret it.
Here's part of an email I received from Paul Ruzic today.
1 WEEK T O GO
TRACK DAY TUESDAY FEB 24

Hi Guys,

Its only 1 week until track day. If everyone could make final payment into my account that would be great.

I have HEAPS of space still in the morning and afternoon sessions. Get booked in and bring fuel.

Morning: Normal Timed Sprints
Afternoon: Project Mu Time Attack Series Round 2

I hope to see you there.

Track Fees / Booking conditions
Please DO NOT book if you do not agree with these terms.
To make a booking there is a $30 deposit per half day. If you cancel, the deposit is lost as a cancellation fee.
Full payment is due 2 weeks before the event. If you do not pay, your deposit will be lost and your spot sold.
Driving positions are non-refundable 1 week before the event for any reason.

Half Track Day: $140.00 (Paid Member: $130.00) Deposit $30.00
Full Track Day: $270.00 (Paid Member: $245.00) Deposit $60.00
Passenger Ride: $10.00 (Paid Member: Free) (must have done 2 previous events to qualify)

Paid Membership is $100 per annum. See website for full benefits.

Regards
Paul Ruzic
041 112 7374
www.TimeAttack.com.au
      02-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
ozigreg
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M

Tim, thanks for the information, those track days sound fantastic.

I just read the rules from Paul's website and it all seems very controlled rather than a speed free for all.

I think I will pencil the March meeting in my diary and take the 120D out for a little spin.

GM.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
100fires
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sports

Thanks Tim and Matt. As you can tell I am really keen to test my car at the track.
However, I will most likely book myself on the April BMW Adv. Driver training beforehand and then try my car at the track day you mentioned. I also saw that Paul is still doing his track days. I know a guy (Brett D) who takes he car often. He used to drive a silver EVO 9. Not sure if he still has it or goes.
Anyhow, thanks for the advise and I am sure you'll see me out on the track.

Just traded-in my 125i M-Sports - 6MT, Black Sapphire, Xenon, HiFi 10 Speaker....... goodbye my old friend ;-)
Appreciate 0