BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
2012 final report

well folks another exciting track season sadly has come to an end for me. now it's time to winterize her for the long cold off season a head. luckily survived the season without breaking anything and learned a few more things about her. this off season I am planning on upgrading a few things like the rotors and finishing up the rear suspension pieces. I am not too happy with the amount of information I am getting from the rear suspension. guess will try the M3 control arms along with the toe rods. I really like to feel more connected. a little numb for my taste despite the upgraded M3 subframe bushings.

so it was a beautiful fall day in west virginia this weekend. had the pleasure of sharing the day with GaryS and MDORPHIN from the 1M community. unfortunately the day fell short of my lofty aspirations but overall it was a lot fun. had misfiring issues all day long. put changing spark plugs on my to do list. my overall impression for my 2012 setup is a mixed bag. brakes did fairly well despite the increased speeds and never did I once had fade. we are talking braking from 140 down to 40 repeatedly over a 20 min session. I am running the performance rotors, pagid yellow pads, castrol srf fluid and titanium shims plus the back shield mod. surprisingly my pistons and my seals still look good after three years of abuse.

this year I changed rubber from BFG R1's to toyo RA1. I was hoping to manage my wet track days better with this choice since I got benched three days last year because of the slicks. funny thing, I didn't get a single wet track day this year. so the R1's are definitely faster but I did like the RA1's talkative nature. my two front tires' treads have melted but I guess the grippy compound is still there. also I switched from 245 sq R1's to 235/255 RA1 setup. I prefer the square setup and despite the extra camber to compensate for 235's I still experienced more understeer.

this year I got the procede tune along with the ETS IC and the evolution raceworks oil cooler. map 1 is silky smooth and strong. I wanted to try map 2 with race fuel this weekend but I am glad I didn't hind sight being 20/20. my average oil temps were definitely up from last year despite the upgraded oil cooler and I regularly noticed temps in the 270 and a reduction in performance. so improving the cooling in some form for next year is a must. also I have recently moved to a new county that does not require an emission test. would love to upgrade to a catless exhaust.

also for 2012 I switched from the pss9 coil overs to the ohlins. my impression on the difference is a mixed bag. although I feel the ohlins to be more nuanced , somehow I remember the car feeling more planted last year. not sure if this has anything to do with the stiffer pss9 springs but I will definitely upgrade my spring rates for next year and see if that makes any difference. the ohlins definitely look like a quality piece compared to the bilsteins. like a nice swiss watch feel. I am sure what I am feeling or not feeling has to do with the difference in spring rates.

so here are my last two video contribution for the year. in one video I had fun chasing a GT3 and a Z06. the action starts around 3:20 mark. I managed to keep them in my line of site the whole time and despite that one of us didn't cross the finish line. in the second video a little miata was punching way above his weight. that thing was crazy fast and hardly ever used the brakes. I know because I spent a lot of time behind him

pitted because of a limp mode icon and then chased a GT3 & Z06

Last edited by pixelblue; 09-16-2012 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Kori you're not done for this year...there are 2 more track days at summit in October. I fully intend on going to both as you will be too!
      09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Kori you're not done for this year...there are 2 more track days at summit in October. I fully intend on going to both as you will be too!
Shenandoah with TrackDaze or Main with NASA? I'm planning the TrackDaze event. I need some skidpad practice because I haven't been on one all year.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Shooting for both Gary. But if I have to choose one over the other it'll be main I think...
      09-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
guys I definitely can't make trackdaze for shenandoah and I see the nasa event for summit main is nov 3-4. that's a bit optimistic if you factor in typical weather that time of year.
      09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

PCA - Riesentoter Friday Oct 19 - Sunday Oct 21 is running summit main
      09-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Chris that is more doable. let's hope I can make it. I have to fill you in as to why
      09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
RTR PCA is great but two things:

(1) They require tech inspection by a shop. Most shops will do it for free. I doubt that RRT would charge you for that, but you can also email TrackDaze and ask them to recommend a shop. That was how I got hooked up with Induktion.

(2) RTR PCA will put you in novice group your first time with them unless someone they approve will send them an email vouching for you. It might have to be another PCA chapter - I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post

(2) RTR PCA will put you in novice group your first time with them unless someone they approve will send them an email vouching for you. It might have to be another PCA chapter - I don't know.
LOL running in novice.
      09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
RTR PCA is great but two things:

Not sure how much this has changed or if it is only something they put on their website. 3 years ago I went with them to the thunderbolt. It was my first time running with them. I wanted to sign up for instructed ride as it was my first time running that track. Turned out that all novice and intermediate spots were taken, so I signed up for advanced ($150 track day was hard to pass up). They have asked for my previous experience but didn't request anyone to vouch for me. Also the inspection sheet was signed by a fried that has his own business but it wasn't stamped or anything and it didn't include the DOT registration number.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
thanks Lubo that's good to know. been taking the Z to the track?
      09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
thanks Lubo that's good to know. been taking the Z to the track?

If you count Auto-X

Actually I am almost there with track prep and I will try to do an event probably around October if time will allow. Car is is currently having all bushing changed to either solid aluminum or spherical bearings currently then it is and auto-x time to get the alignment right.

I am about 80% done with gutting it. There are still some metal pieces I can cut away and then redo the wiring as there is lots of unwanted wires currently laying around. Goal is to have this thing around 2800 pounds fully fueled up with me and the cage included. This thing is seriously down on power compered to the 1er so weight reduction was a must and next you know this thing turned into a track car build . Now I need to convince the wife that I will need another daily. Preferable one that can tow

The thing that I love the most thought is how much clearance there is to run fat tires. Currently rolling around on 295s all around and I didn't even need to get the fender roller out. Rear diff and sub frame bushings were seriously deteriorated so I was afraid to take it out on the track, but I can't wait to try the limits of adhesion in this thing. Currently looking for event at thunderbolt mid October or later to test the limits. Hopefully my work schedule will allow.

Lots of things planned for this car but we will see how things play out, but I will be back in BMW hopefully pretty soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
If you count Auto-X

Actually I am almost there with track prep and I will try to do an event probably around October if time will allow. Car is is currently having all bushing changed to either solid aluminum or spherical bearings currently then it is and auto-x time to get the alignment right.

I am about 80% done with gutting it. There are still some metal pieces I can cut away and then redo the wiring as there is lots of unwanted wires currently laying around. Goal is to have this thing around 2800 pounds fully fueled up with me and the cage included. This thing is seriously down on power compered to the 1er so weight reduction was a must and next you know this thing turned into a track car build . Now I need to convince the wife that I will need another daily. Preferable one that can tow

The thing that I love the most thought is how much clearance there is to run fat tires. Currently rolling around on 295s all around and I didn't even need to get the fender roller out. Rear diff and sub frame bushings were seriously deteriorated so I was afraid to take it out on the track, but I can't wait to try the limits of adhesion in this thing. Currently looking for event at thunderbolt mid October or later to test the limits. Hopefully my work schedule will allow.

Lots of things planned for this car but we will see how things play out, but I will be back in BMW hopefully pretty soon.
sounds like you got your self a nice project going there! I am sure the solid aluminum bushings would help with my complaint of rear suspension numbness. have to figure what's the best way to get more feel from the rear suspension. maybe racing seats with a harness can get me more tied down so I can feel more through my butt. half the fun is figuring this stuff out.

btw, I thought the Z's pack around 300 hp. in a 2800 lbs car that should be pretty fast. planning on any aero?
      09-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
I'd like to do another event at Shenandoah or Main. Did trackclub USA this year - was very fun. An incredible amount of track time with them. I can't do the next Trackdaze event at Shenandoah, but would love to do VIR again with them in November...might be cold!
Gary/Chris/Kori if you sign up for an event, drop me an email!
Thanks!

-Joe
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Joe, have to check into trackclub usa for next year. more options is definitely a good thing.
      09-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
after watching those videos u should be running novice. u need an instructor.
very funny, now lets see your videos . coming from someone who criticized ayerton senna it's a compliment

Last edited by pixelblue; 09-19-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Purple its hard to take you seriously here. You do make some good points about everybody can always use more coaching. Which is very true. But you can't come in and expect to be taken seriously when your opening line is an insult.

If you have knowledge you'd like to impart to us as a group great! Please share and give your $.02 where you can, but you don't have to be a complete dick about it.
      09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Everyone could use more instruction you know. Pro drivers have coaches for instruction. It appears from your videos that you aren't learning anything or pushing yourself or trying anything new. You're coasting into brake zones, over slowing for corners, not even near the limit. If you were going fast your tires would be shrieking through every turn. You've fallen into a rhythm that is well within your comfort zone and it is easy to stay there without a voice telling you to go for it.
agree with everything you said here. I am sorry your original post sounded like you were being smart ass but otherwise I agree with everything you said above. I think the problem is how you come across sometimes. but yes I actually attempted to hire a pro once when it was offered but my luck he was a no show. my only frame of reference to do better is to compare my times to a local pro that took my car around the same track while I got data from his lap. I then compare my lap data with his and I can clearly can see where he is faster. of course why he is faster is because he has thousands of laps experience on this track. however despite all that, he was only 1.2 sec faster than me. I definitely can live with that! I also had a nice spin around one of those corners once and that has spooked me a little. after all, don't want to wreck my ride plus this track is notorious for no run offs. I see cars getting wrecked there every time I go there. last weekend a car rolled over.

now to address a few things you brought up, yes it appears that I am coasting through some turns but despite that my times are still pretty fast but I failed to beat my best time by .5 sec where I was 1.2 sec slower than the pro driving my car. so if you take that into consideration I was still fast but definitely not as fast as I wanted to be or I know I can be. plus I already explained in my OP my car was misfiring so performance was down and in some hard braking zones my car felt a bit unstable plus pedal feel with my pagid pads felt less than ideal. so like you said sometimes over braked. now as far as not hearing tire squeal, you can clearly hear tire squeal in one video more than the other and the reason for that is because I used two audio sources for one video where I was picking up cabin sound and that recorded tire squeals. trust me my front tires are melted. I don't think they would be like that if I was like a granny riding them. next year on top of my list is getting a pro instructor.
      09-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
like I said the issue is your delivery. I can tell you mean well but seriously work on the delivery. I am not sure what role you played in Yandy's thread but I was shocked with some of the stupid remarks. I hope yours wasn't one of them! oh and who cares if someone likes to record their exhaust sound. we paid a lot of money to hear that shit so what's wrong with recording the sound when you're recording video. don't you think it's more entertaining? I use to just have wind noise, does that make me less vain? come on man lets keep it real
      09-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Mic'ing the exhaust is totally vain but it does help recognize when you get on throttle i'll give you that.
      09-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

oh shit... i feel a group hug coming on

3... 2... 1............
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #22
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
oh shit... i feel a group hug coming on

3... 2... 1............
it's all good! I welcome constructive criticism. I know there's room for improvement.