BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Gilmour Foamaster II - Your Thoughts?

Anyone used this with a regular hose? I won't be using a pressure washer so I was wondering how this stacked up in terms of providing thick suds when used with a hose. What is your experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

It works but none of the detergents I've used have really made a foam...more like shooting soapy water at the car. If anyone knows of a good car wash for these guns let me know!
      03-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I have used Chemical guys stuff along with P21S bodywork and none of them really make a great foam with this gun. I think it needs more pressure than I have. I am not sure if an electric pressure washer would work this gun either.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Anyone used this with a regular hose? I won't be using a pressure washer so I was wondering how this stacked up in terms of providing thick suds when used with a hose. What is your experience?
The Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun is a great tool to help you pre-soak the car and spread the shampoo all over the paint for you. It works with your regular garden hose and helps me save some time while improving results. We also have this unit in stock and ready to ship. I know a lot of other companies are currently out of stock as the mfg is not making any more for at least another month according to my rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
It works but none of the detergents I've used have really made a foam...more like shooting soapy water at the car. If anyone knows of a good car wash for these guns let me know!
A pressure washer and a foam lance can provide a really thick layer of suds, which you may see in some pictures. I think the key with a Foamaster II is using a concentration of just shampoo if you want a really dense foam lather. I've had great success with the 128oz Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, which is a great value and produces tons of suds. I usually put about 4 - 8 ounces in and use it on the highest concentration.

If you guys have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Tried out the Foamaster II today... Not bad.

It covered the car nicely with an even coat of foam... I think it took me only about half the time it usually does to wash the car.

I'll try to remember to take some pics next time.
      07-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

I have one and it works wonderfully. Obviously not as good (not even close as a matter of fact) as using like MTM hydro ($50) with pressure washer (at least $200 for decent ones) but if that's too much, this is a great alternative.

Chemical Guys shampoos are too expensive for me so I just bought a gallon (128 oz) of "Turtle Wax Wash and Wax" for $5.5 at Walmart.

If you end up buying one, make sure to adjust water pressure and ratio so you're not wasting too much.
I'd just set ratio at C or D (3rd and 4th highest) and adjust the water pressure.. how much soap use depend way more on water pressure than the actual ratio.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
I have one and it works wonderfully. Obviously not as good (not even close as a matter of fact) as using like MTM hydro ($50) with pressure washer (at least $200 for decent ones) but if that's too much, this is a great alternative.
Yeah, too pricey for me.

Quote:
Chemical Guys shampoos are too expensive for me so I just bought a gallon (128 oz) of "Turtle Wax Wash and Wax" for $5.5 at Walmart.

If you end up buying one, make sure to adjust water pressure and ratio so you're not wasting too much.
I'd just set ratio at C or D (3rd and 4th highest) and adjust the water pressure.. how much soap use depend way more on water pressure than the actual ratio.
I just used the Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash that I had been using previously and set the Foamaster to ratio "A" (1 oz./gallon) with my water hose... Seemed to foam up nicely.
      07-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Foamaster II + CG HoneyDew Snow Foam = absolute magic!!!
Appreciate 0