BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
mtl88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Hi All,

I'm getting close to hitting 50k miles and I'm thinking about replacing the shocks and struts. I purchased a set of Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs a few months ago.

Does anyone have any experience with Bilstein B8 Performance Plus shocks and struts? I'm thinking of pairing the Eibachs with the B8s.

Here is a link to info on Bilstein's site: http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/p...formance-plus/

I daily drive my 1M so I'm looking for something similar to stock and not looking to drop $2k for coilovers.

Looking forward to opinions on B8s or aftermarket replacement shocks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
According to Turner Motorsports, DOES NOT FIT. Mike at Roundel loves the Sport line of Biltsteins in general, so I have been on the lookout, but I think we are still out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I looked into it when I was still trying to stay in stock class for autocross, and could find no aftermarket shocks for our car to work with the stock springs. I believe someone more recently used the KWV3 coilovers with stock springs and stayed legal for stock class with improved dampers, but that wouldn't meet your stated goal.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
mtl8851.00
      07-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384621
Appreciate 1
mtl8851.00
      07-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl88 View Post
Hi All,

I'm getting close to hitting 50k miles and I'm thinking about replacing the shocks and struts. I purchased a set of Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs a few months ago.

Does anyone have any experience with Bilstein B8 Performance Plus shocks and struts? I'm thinking of pairing the Eibachs with the B8s.

Here is a link to info on Bilstein's site: http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/p...formance-plus/

I daily drive my 1M so I'm looking for something similar to stock and not looking to drop $2k for coilovers.

Looking forward to opinions on B8s or aftermarket replacement shocks.

Thanks!
A lot of cars come with crappy shocks and I often replace them but the 1M does not. These are high quality shocks with aluminum housings. For daily use, I don't think you will find much better all-around. A lot of the replacement shocks are steel housings and stiffer than stock. Stiffer in the front can increase understeer which is already an issue. I believe Dinan's suspension even softened the front slightly to improve turn in and one of the 1M engineers was quoted as saying they thought firm was good but they feel now they might have gone a bit too firm. I believe he meant the rear in that case because of the oversteer.

So as I said you are not throwing away a junky pair of shocks. These are top notch aluminum struts all the way around. I would at least try to find another aluminum set so as not to add weight and reduce heat dissipation for which aluminum is better at than steel bodies. So while the total weight savings would only be about 4-5 lbs total, you are still going backwards on heat dissipation.

When I was looking to replace the struts in my ZHP I did a lot of reasearch and all of the aftermarket companies had two shock sets for 330i. Sport Pkg and non-Sport Pkg. I then found an old car and driver review of the ZHP where they praised the handling and all-around handling of the ZHP so I decided to look at OEM Sachs-BOGE who made the ZHP and I a believe the E46 M3 shocks also....and probably made the 1M ones. They listed 3 versions. non-Sport Pkg, Sport Pkg and M-Tech II which is the ZHP! They actually carried the bespoke ZHP valved shocks. I went with those and wow. Firm but still compliant and brought back the ZHP close to original glory. It was such a difference, that I went bonkers and replaced control arms, bushings etc.

So I think if you want to lower or track the car, then changing springs and shocks can make sense but in this case you are starting with a seriously good set of special ///M aluminum housing struts and shocks.

Best wishes.

Last edited by nachob; 07-16-2017 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
1M Tex240.00
JP-1M171.00
mtl8851.00
      07-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
abb6027
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M

I agree with Nachob on this one. I've had bilstein PSS9 coilovers on my Audi B7 RS4 and they were sensational.

After having my 1M for 2 years now I think the standard setup seems very similar to the coilovers ride quality and performance. The 1M shocks and springs seem very good to me. Whilst I'm sure they may be able to be improved I think they are pretty special as Nachob mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
mtl88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
According to Turner Motorsports, DOES NOT FIT. Mike at Roundel loves the Sport line of Biltsteins in general, so I have been on the lookout, but I think we are still out of luck.
I called Turner Motorsport and they confirmed the B8 performance plus fit the 1M.

Bilstein's online catalog also confirms this. It looks like it's the same part number for the e9x M3.

I got a great Black Friday deal with Turner and should have the complete set for February (backordered 6-8 weeks).

I'll make sure to report back after installation.
Appreciate 1
digwm170.50
      11-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
I called Turner Motorsport and they confirmed the B8 performance plus fit the 1M.

Bilstein's online catalog also confirms this. It looks like it's the same part number for the e9x M3.

I got a great Black Friday deal with Turner and should have the complete set for February (backordered 6-8 weeks).

please do update, curious
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post

Let us know how it goes. I was leery of same part number as m3 since the cars have significant weight differences and shocks are valved to different spring rates for top performance.for example KW has a specific 1M part number for different spring and
Rebound rates
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      12-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
Eagle01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M white

I have an e39 M5 that I put kw v3 coilovers and I can tell you that the 1M suspension feels exactly the same as far as stiffness and overall driving experience. No doubt the suspension 1M has is high quality sport type. I would certainly consider the kw v3 to replace my 1Ms when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

I've got a Birds Suspension kit for sale, not a coilover system, and uses bilstein dampers with custom springs.. same height as oem 1m.
      12-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

I must be in the minority here but I really dislike the stock 1M suspension. The springs are too soft and the damping too hard. They don't match well. The car rolls when cornering, nose dives terribly under braking and is overly stiff over slow speed sharp bumps while be too soft over high speed bumps. I switched mine out to öhlins road and track coilovers and while on the firm side for street use the chassis feels far more controlled, with body motion, damping and turn in far superior to the stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
I must be in the minority here but I really dislike the stock 1M suspension. The springs are too soft and the damping too hard. They don't match well. The car rolls when cornering, nose dives terribly under braking and is overly stiff over slow speed sharp bumps while be too soft over high speed bumps. I switched mine out to öhlins road and track coilovers and while on the firm side for street use the chassis feels far more controlled, with body motion, damping and turn in far superior to the stock setup.
Different people like different setups but my point was that people quickly discount the stock suspension because in most cars they are better aftermarket setups. But the 1M has a very good all aluminum setup that you should think twice about replacing with a steel setup or one that was tuned for a heavier m3 yet still bolts on. On my zhp I have played with other options but the stock Sachs bespoke suspension is brilliant.

So that's really what I'm saying. It is not some cheap Monroe suspension so make sure you know that and replace it with something better.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00