BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128I Convertible 02/09

Need Advice on a tire change (Any Blackfriday Deals?)

Hey Guys i recently bought my 2009 128i convert with the sport package and i am now in need of tires because my rear tire has a lump on the sidewall after driving for 2 months and my car is out of alignment, I bought the car with the Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 RFT and have seen nothing but bad reviews on this tire. I am considering buying non-run flat tires is that a good idea? If so which tire would you guys recommend? and also will the tpms work with the non run flats? If this is not a good idea which is the best valued RFT?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

I would go non runflat. if something happens just grab a spare or figure it out with a friend. I was in the same predicament and needed four new tires, and having 19"x7.5" all around, i REFUSED to get a tire they had to back order like when i had my last bmw, and if anything happened i would continually have to wait 3-4 days. Anyway i called around asking for people who had the size in stock and Big O had this tire by General (owned by continental. (shown below) it was a cheaper tire and at first, i was like what the hell is general. and was skeptical. but after reading reviews on mercedes, subaru, bmw, i could not find ONE bad review. went with them for a total of $850 installed out the door for all four (for 19's mind you) and i will never use a different tire. Wear is super slow, performance is amazing (honestly almost as good as a ps2 summer, i kid you not) love the road feel and everything about them. i have nothing but positive things to say about this tire from price, performance, road feel, dry handling, snow handling, looks, everything. it is almost too good to be true! And they have some insane warranty! they literally have to be losing money lol.
I can't stand runflats. if you have a flat, it is going to need to be fixed anyways, so why would i want to prolong it. just go normal tires, and when something happens use a jack, pull the wheel, have a friend or family member take you to the shop, and come back to the car. forces you to expedite the process anyway. or if you have amex they have free towing.

General G-Max AS-03 Ultra High Performance All Season
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-Max+AS-03

Last edited by golf_234; 11-20-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I replaced the NCT5s on my '08 128i cabrio with Conti DWS tires. Results:

Much better ride.

Grip was better even though the DWS are all-season tires. The turn-in feel is a bit mushy, but this can be helped by increasing pressures by 3psi.

Ability to drive the car in winter & light snow.

Projected treadwear at least 75% better (540 rating).

Cost was less than 1/2 of the Goodyears.

The only TPMS issue is that the system has to be reset after mounting any new tires which is a simple matter (see the manual).

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

General make great tires; I'm on my 2nd set of Exclaim UHP's and very satisfied. Their winter tire (Altimax?) is very highly rated & made in Germany. I'll probably go with this new GMax when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
stantonlh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
I would go non runflat. if something happens just grab a spare or figure it out with a friend. I was in the same predicament and needed four new tires, and having 19"x7.5" all around, i REFUSED to get a tire they had to back order like when i had my last bmw, and if anything happened i would continually have to wait 3-4 days. Anyway i called around asking for people who had the size in stock and Big O had this tire by General (owned by continental. (shown below) it was a cheaper tire and at first, i was like what the hell is general. and was skeptical. but after reading reviews on mercedes, subaru, bmw, i could not find ONE bad review. went with them for a total of $850 installed out the door for all four (for 19's mind you) and i will never use a different tire. Wear is super slow, performance is amazing (honestly almost as good as a ps2 summer, i kid you not) love the road feel and everything about them. i have nothing but positive things to say about this tire from price, performance, road feel, dry handling, snow handling, looks, everything. it is almost too good to be true! And they have some insane warranty! they literally have to be losing money lol.
I can't stand runflats. if you have a flat, it is going to need to be fixed anyways, so why would i want to prolong it. just go normal tires, and when something happens use a jack, pull the wheel, have a friend or family member take you to the shop, and come back to the car. forces you to expedite the process anyway. or if you have amex they have free towing.

General G-Max AS-03 Ultra High Performance All Season
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-Max+AS-03

These are the tires I just recently purchased due to potenza's being on back order and zero regrets. Tire gives great performance and non runflats is a smoother ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
A lot of people complain about the runflat tires. I've had two flat tires and I have to say that being able to just drive back home without having to do anything about the flat is VERY convenient. I haul a big arse spare in the back of my E46 M3 because the gook-air pump combo does not work and I have been stranded on the road due to a flat tire...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
A lot of people complain about the runflat tires. I've had two flat tires and I have to say that being able to just drive back home without having to do anything about the flat is VERY convenient. I haul a big arse spare in the back of my E46 M3 because the gook-air pump combo does not work and I have been stranded on the road due to a flat tire...
idk.. depends on your style. for me on this topic it's like.. take a guaranteed sacrifice at all times for an event that might not ever even happen, or just do what people have done forever. I am just not a runflat fan. takes just as much work to get it fixed with the only advantage being you can move the car.
      11-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the help guys,looks like i will be going non run flat. i watched the test video Golf324 and it looked pretty good. take a look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical tires and tell me what you think about them although the general tires are about $30 per tire cheaper. Off topic will bmw align, install balance and rotate my new tires for free under warranty?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ric+All-Season
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil769 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys,looks like i will be going non run flat. i watched the test video Golf324 and it looked pretty good. take a look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical tires and tell me what you think about them although the general tires are about $30 per tire cheaper. Off topic will bmw align, install balance and rotate my new tires for free under warranty?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ric+All-Season

nope, tires are considered wear and tear.
      11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok. Thanks. My dealership quoted me 199.95 for the alignment and 67.50 for a mount and balance 2 rear only.

Last edited by bazil769; 11-27-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirthernDancer View Post
General make great tires; I'm on my 2nd set of Exclaim UHP's and very satisfied. Their winter tire (Altimax?) is very highly rated & made in Germany. I'll probably go with this new GMax when the time comes.
I wouldn't say "great tires" but they are "ok".

OP - I would look on TireRack's website to find the right tire for you. I would highly recommend dumping the RFT in favor of regular tires. Go with Conti/Michelin/Dunlaps/Bridgestone tires. Stick with the "top tier" tire brands. Tires are your ONLY connection with the road... and they make a HUGE difference in how your car handles.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

OP - I would look on TireRack's website to find the right tire for you. I would highly recommend dumping the RFT in favor of regular tires. Go with Conti/Michelin/Dunlaps/Bridgestone tires. Stick with the "top tier" tire brands. Tires are your ONLY connection with the road... and they make a HUGE difference in how your car handles.
+1

PSS, RE-11's, or Star Specs if they're in the budget and you don't drive in snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

+1 Dackel as usual

Check tirerack, the surveys are usually pretty accurate. For PA (location in sig) you're going to want to look at the survey results for "ultra high performance all-season". You'll note that if you want a quiet tire that handles well in hot/cold, they're all non-RFT. I highly recommend going this route with a bottle of fix a flat in your trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

"good Tires", Bob mused, casually lighting a cigarette, "But certainly not great tire

When ever I hear that someone says a certain (average) tire is great, I think of this old PS picture in the back of Road & Track from back in the day...

Name:  GoodTires1289003515.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  106.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info sparkyblue but i'm looking for ultra high performance all season tires and it looks like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS takes the win even if the test results show that the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position were and all around better all season tire, they are more expensive and the UTQG is lower than the continental's which was one of the things that were important to me (tread-ware). The continental's are also cheaper than the Goodyear F1 asymmetric tires and give a more comfortable ride than the F1's and at the same time not loosing handling.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=165
Appreciate 0