BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
studio5
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is Convertible

Garage List
Full Power USB/Lighter Wiring

Does anyone know how the USB adapter and cigarette lighter adapter (under the armrest) can be powered continuously without having to start the engine?

Mine only works when the key is in the ignition or engine running. I'd like to have it powered continuously while I am out doing errands while the phone is being recharged. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
studio5
Private
Rep

Garage List
Blackberry and iPhone phones do not generate a lot of power when being recharged. Additionally, I would probably only need the phone(s) to be charged for about an hour or so while doing errands and such while the engine is turned off.

So, I doubt that there will be a dead battery issue. In case, you don't know, my previous e46 had continuous power for the cigarette lighter and they worked fine for 7 years without any incidents.

It is not as if I am using the car to actually charge the phone overnight. For that, I will actually use my wall outlet at home. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
doogle
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i

you can use an add a fuse in the fuse box to hook up a usb charger in the glovebox. Follow the V1 stealth install guide to get to the fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio5 View Post
Blackberry and iPhone phones do not generate a lot of power when being recharged. Additionally, I would probably only need the phone(s) to be charged for about an hour or so while doing errands and such while the engine is turned off.

So, I doubt that there will be a dead battery issue. In case, you don't know, my previous e46 had continuous power for the cigarette lighter and they worked fine for 7 years without any incidents.

It is not as if I am using the car to actually charge the phone overnight. For that, I will actually use my wall outlet at home. Thanks.
You are missing the point. Doesn't matter what you are using or how much it drains, Maxnix point was; Regardless of the item, system overall designed so that dead battery doesn't occur.
      01-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
wadny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, M-Sport, 6MT

Well, strangely enough, I've noticed that when I leave my USB drive (containing mp3s) plugged in to the jack on the center console, the LED on the USB drive stays lit even when the car is off and the key is removed. I'll have to check to see if it eventually goes out after some period of time or not. I'm sure it's not drawing much power, but it doesn't shut off right away.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
studio5
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
You are missing the point. Doesn't matter what you are using or how much it drains, Maxnix point was; Regardless of the item, system overall designed so that dead battery doesn't occur.
I understand very clearly. The point is that it is a dumb "safety" design. The USB port on my 330 was always hot, whether the ignition was on or not. I don't see why the 1-series can't be the same. Clearly, it was by design but not very smart. Like I said previously, what could you possibly run off the USB port that would make the battery go dead? Just remember, we're talking about an USB port, not a cigarette lighter where you could hook up a small tv or DVD player and drain the battery quicker than charging an itsy-bitsy phone.

But, in any case, I've just learned to live with what I have on the car and use alternative means of charging the phones.
Appreciate 0