BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
klynch06
Neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 128 Conv

Ugh! Flat tire, need advice.

Hi all,

I hope you are all having a good holiday w/e, mine started out not so good.

Driving home from work on Friday evening my tire sensor light came on. Since I have runflats I was not overly concerned. I pulled over when I got off the highway and couldn't see which tire it was so I assumed I must just be low. Saturday morning I came out to find a completely flat rear tire! I was suprised to see it was completely flat like a regular tire. I was under the assumption runflats didn't get that flat and I could drive it for some time until I get it repaired or replaced. I looked closer and there is a big screw stuck in the top I must have run over at some point Friday. There is no way I can drive on this tire anywhere. My question to anyone is, can this be repaired or do I need to buy a new tire and if I must replace it do i have to replace both of my rear tires? I have about 10k miles on my 128i vert right now with standard tires. I have to get this figured out before work on Tuesday, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by klynch06; 05-31-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

If you had a spare you could have put it on. You say the screw is on the top? If it is not involving the sidewall, you may be able to get it repaired. Worst case, buy a new tire (or 2 if tread on the opposite tire is low)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=spare+tire

05-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
sounds like it can be patched, but only a tire shop can tell you for sure. the one thing with patching a tire is that it won't be quite as strong as it used to be. but unless you're gonna autocross the car or drive it really hard, you'll be fine.

if you do need to replace the tire, you can do just that one, as long as the other side isn't too worn

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
klynch06
Neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 128 Conv

Fixed!

Thanks Rob and Mike for the advice!

Had a real hard time finding a shop to fix it on a holiday but got lucky and pulled into a BP on Montvale ave in Woburn and he plugged it in 5 mins for 15$.

Tried BJ's first they refused, then went to another national tire shop but they were out of patches, lol. I began to drive to every small shop I could think of in the area. Just when I was about to give up and hit the highway home I saw the garage door open at the BP, pulled in and voila I am fixed!

I have to say again I am thouroughly dissapointed in the RFT's. When it comes time to replace tires I am not going with them again. They claim you can go 150 miles at up to 50 mph. In my case the sensor went off when I was nearly home, less than 3 miles and driving at about 35 mph. I came out the next morning the tire was so flat there was no way I could go anywhere without pumping it up again.

Thanks again,
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klynch06 View Post
Thanks Rob and Mike for the advice!

Had a real hard time finding a shop to fix it on a holiday but got lucky and pulled into a BP on Montvale ave in Woburn and he plugged it in 5 mins for 15$.

Tried BJ's first they refused, then went to another national tire shop but they were out of patches, lol. I began to drive to every small shop I could think of in the area. Just when I was about to give up and hit the highway home I saw the garage door open at the BP, pulled in and voila I am fixed!

I have to say again I am thouroughly dissapointed in the RFT's. When it comes time to replace tires I am not going with them again. They claim you can go 150 miles at up to 50 mph. In my case the sensor went off when I was nearly home, less than 3 miles and driving at about 35 mph. I came out the next morning the tire was so flat there was no way I could go anywhere without pumping it up again.

Thanks again,
at least it all worked out in the end.

+1 on hating the RFTs....i ditched mine as soon as they were close to worn out. the car drives so much better without them, especially if you get something nice and sticky

Appreciate 0