BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
jasera94
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i | N54 |diagnosing misfire

Hi Team,

I've recently picked up my first Bemmer an 08 135i Manual with 70,000 kms on the clock completely stock standard.

It starts and goes mint until a sudden hard acceleration. slowly planting the acceleration is fine but in sudden acceleration the car thudds/ jerks and goes into limp mode. bringing a p0305 code. this does not aaalways happen.

To me it seems if it was a coil and/or Spark plugs the car would always be in a rough start/ limp mode / be doing it more often.. yes? No?
(new Vanos + Plugs on the way but..)

would this rather be the injectors not being able to supply the fuel and going bad?

My real question is if it is the Injectors and I take it to a shop.. how will they know what needs done without someone having to take my car for a drive and thrashing it to get the symptoms and the codes to fix the issue?? (I have trust issues)

Also if i take it to BMW (NZ) will they replace because it was an issue prior or would i need to claim on my warranty insurance?

Thanks team!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
AB M2C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Hockenheim Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasera94 View Post
Hi Team,

I've recently picked up my first Bemmer an 08 135i Manual with 70,000 kms on the clock completely stock standard.

It starts and goes mint until a sudden hard acceleration. slowly planting the acceleration is fine but in sudden acceleration the car thudds/ jerks and goes into limp mode. bringing a p0305 code. this does not aaalways happen.

To me it seems if it was a coil and/or Spark plugs the car would always be in a rough start/ limp mode / be doing it more often.. yes? No?
(new Vanos + Plugs on the way but..)

would this rather be the injectors not being able to supply the fuel and going bad?

My real question is if it is the Injectors and I take it to a shop.. how will they know what needs done without someone having to take my car for a drive and thrashing it to get the symptoms and the codes to fix the issue?? (I have trust issues)

Also if i take it to BMW (NZ) will they replace because it was an issue prior or would i need to claim on my warranty insurance?

Thanks team!
Could be an injector, but I have some doubts. Generally on these cars when the injectors go bad they leak while just sitting there, but provide adequate fueling while running. You didn't get the other associated codes but the other thing it could be would be your HPFP.
Sold -- 2005 E46 M3 MT
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
I'd just start with all coil packs + sparks. I'd put money on it not being done at that mileage.

Once you do that then all that is left is injectors or compression of the motor.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
jasera94
Rep

I Checked the Injector Version numbers yesterday... cylinder 6 & 5 have version 5 Injectors and 4 - 6 are Version 9...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasera94 View Post
I Checked the Injector Version numbers yesterday... cylinder 6 & 5 have version 5 Injectors and 4 - 6 are Version 9...
That doesn't tell you much other than they're old.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
jasera94
Rep

Hi Team,

Decided id do the walnut blast while changing spark plugs and noticed cylinders 1-4 are just all black dirty usual carbon build up but cylinders 5 & 6 have a sort of clean patch in-between the valves? still dirty but not the same as the rest...
Appreciate 0