BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
monkeypotomus
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport DCT

Battery replacement questions

Looking for advice.....and yes, I have read lots of battery threads in lots of forums.....

2011 135i 56k miles and battery replacement is forthcoming......not going to pay $425 from the dealer.....

Things I think I understand....
A new battery has to be registered after installed so that the charging algorithm can be reset....
Coding would need to happen in CAS module ONLY if the the specs of the battery change ...i.e if I move from flooded cell to AGM, or change the aH or CCA specs (as an upgrade)

So, questions:
1) Why can't I find the specific part number of the battery that is currently installed? (see pic) I have reviewed realoem part numbers (and done general google searching), but none of those match either....
2) I thought that 2010+ 135i were supposed to come with AGM batteries, mine appears to not be (see pic, its the "white" battery)? My assumption is probably wrong....
3) What group number battery is this? 49, 94, 94R? No way I can tell from the pic? (I see replacements with different sizes and want to get the correct one)
Should I upgrade to AGM? Is it worth the potential additional cost for coding beyond just registering the battery?
4) Anybody have any recommendations for coding/registering battery in San Diego Area ( i dont have tools or experience..)?

If there are any other general recommendations related to this, I am always glad to get advice...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

I went to Exide's site. They seem to recommend different kinds. That would be a great place to start since your battery is an Exide.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/n2ebattery/
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Monkey,

You are pretty much right on what you think you know. CCA doesn't relate mathematically to amp hours, however. Reserve capacity does and while less readily available you often can get it. There is a formula where you can convert reserve capacity to amp hours.

I think you can't find a specific part number because BMW used multiple suppliers. That says something about interchangability. I don't know if BMW supplies AGM batteries. My son likes them. Their advantages don't seem worth the extra cost to me, however. I would be more worried about the battery cost than the coding extra cost. The added step isn't a big deal if you can code. It occurs in the part of NCSExpert that you use to do other coding things. The registration occurs in a software module I've never used - it isn't used for other things. I believe the battery codes relate to the dimensions of the battery. It is probably possible to measure your battery and figure out the number.

Here's a link to a chart that shows dimensions and amp hours for various battery size codes:

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools...oup-sizes.html
      12-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I'm no expert but wouldn't your car need this battery?

80AH 640A

bmw p/n 61218381749

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=30&hl=7
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
monkeypotomus
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport DCT

Thanks for the responses!

2Putt - Thanks for the link, I have reviewed Exides link/list before, and it is still confusing since their list of batteries for my make and model lists different CCA and other specs in the Brand description, and comments...I guess I could narrow it down further if I knew the group size (I know it is not an AGM), so I will probably have to pull the battery out and measure it to know the exact size

JimD -
Thanks for the link to the battery sizes, seems that those are sizes for 12 volt deep cycle for RV and marine...and I couldnt find on the link where the automotive sizes were, but nevertheless, I can just measure the battery, and then check the sizes of different groupsized batteries on Exide or other battery manufaturer sites to determine which group....just thought someone might know off the top of their head....

Dack -
Yes, that would most likely be a direct replacement for the battery for my vehicle, but seems weird that realoem doesn't list my specific part number in that list (it does show OTHER batteries that are no longer used with a NOTE of "ENDED") so I was hoping that it would show mine....just to confirm the battery I have is the correct one to begin with....I am leary about dealers doing weird stuff, and i have had the neg battery cable done under recall and wanted to make sure they didnt do something odd with my battery (I am just paranoid...lol)

So it looks like I don't really have any major recommendations for upgrading to AGM or to a battery with more CCA or aH or reserve capacity.....?
Appreciate 0