BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.

Driving to Track on R-comps

Hey everybody,

Dumb opinion question

I am planning to go to an OTD that is approx. 300km away.
I recently bought a set of used Toyo R888 (which previously had 4 track days in them) and rims.

My question is this: do I mount these rims/tires and drive to the track (Gratton) or should I bring my street tires and somehow, find a way to mount tires at the track?

Notes:

a)this would be my 2nd OTD. My first was much closer and ran on my run flats (which are my street tires)

b) I don't have all the necessary tools to change tires currently and if the general consensus is that it's dumb to drive on the r-comps, then I should I invest in the necessary kit to as required.

c) I go with limited support, will the 1er have enough room for all the equipment and a 2nd set of wheels? I don't have a trailer/roof rack of any sort and the wifey has no interest dragging the kids in the SUV to bring my kit.

Any feedback (useful or critical) is appreciated.

Slamako
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

you can drive R888 to the track no problem. I change mine at home. It is much easier and saves me hauling an extra set of wheels to the track. Off to Mosport you go!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I haven't tried it yet, but I think the 1 can fit 4 tires in the back with the back seats folded down. Get tire covers/wraps so you don't get tire marks all over your interior. There's a Nissan GTR at the local autox who drives to the track on street tires with all 4 tires in the back and changes tires on location. I plan to do the same when I get my R comp set.
      07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but I think the 1 can fit 4 tires in the back with the back seats folded down. Get tire covers/wraps so you don't get tire marks all over your interior. There's a Nissan GTR at the local autox who drives to the track on street tires with all 4 tires in the back and changes tires on location. I plan to do the same when I get my R comp set.
I'm curious to know if the tires fit. A friend of mine does that with his E46 M3, but it seems like he has a little more space in the back then we do.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
I'm curious to know if the tires fit. A friend of mine does that with his E46 M3, but it seems like he has a little more space in the back then we do.
Tire's will fit in the backseat with the seats up with no problem (especially if you aren't too tall.

I've been carrying a set of wheels from my old car around to events trying to get them sold.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunit View Post
Tire's will fit in the backseat with the seats up with no problem (especially if you aren't too tall.

I've been carrying a set of wheels from my old car around to events trying to get them sold.
Sweet. Sometimes it's good to only be 5'7".

Last edited by TrojanBMW; 07-14-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The only 'real" problem with running R-copound tires on the street is they tend to throw up alot of crap(ie stone chips) from the stret and onto the sides of the car. Esp when they are warm/hot. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The only 'real" problem with running R-copound tires on the street is they tend to throw up alot of crap(ie stone chips) from the stret and onto the sides of the car. Esp when they are warm/hot. Just FYI.
R888 are not that much sticker than say RE-11 or AD08. Treadwear is 100 vs 140. Keep in mind that most highways are pretty clean from other cars running on them. Just do not get off-line.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
you can drive R888 to the track no problem. I change mine at home. It is much easier and saves me hauling an extra set of wheels to the track. Off to Mosport you go!
No...not Mosport, I'm off to Gratton (http://www.grattanraceway.com/) for an OTD hosted by 3BallsRacing http://www.3ballsracing.com/index.ph...page&Itemid=12

Living in Windsor, I'm equally distanced from Gratton, MidOhio, Cayuga and Waterford Hills just a little outside of Detroit. A little farther would be Gingerman and Mosport. Once I become a "regular" at OTD's I would like to try these other tracks!

I've decided to drive the R888's to the track for simplicity and also so I can try to get some new rubber for next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post

If I recall, I remember somebody on posted a pic of 4 tires in the back seat...don't know what the size of the tires were, but I think I try just so i know for future events. Do you know any good place to get tire covers/wraps?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
R888 are not that much sticker than say RE-11 or AD08. Treadwear is 100 vs 140. Keep in mind that most highways are pretty clean from other cars running on them. Just do not get off-line.
Thanks again Nordique14....I'll evaluate the price/performance on these used R888's. I'm sure that I'm due for some new rubber sometime next year. I've been lurching through the threads on what tires people use for track/auto-x. I'll keep RE-11 or AD08's in mind as well as the Nitto's (NT01 I believe.)

Thanks to all who have posted here.

After the event, I'll try to post pics and my thoughts on the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamako View Post
No...not Mosport, I'm off to Gratton (http://www.grattanraceway.com/) for an OTD hosted by 3BallsRacing http://www.3ballsracing.com/index.ph...page&Itemid=12

Living in Windsor, I'm equally distanced from Gratton, MidOhio, Cayuga and Waterford Hills just a little outside of Detroit. A little farther would be Gingerman and Mosport. Once I become a "regular" at OTD's I would like to try these other tracks!
Well, have fun at Gratton. I just figured Mosport as it it the most popular track in Southern Ontario. Plus when someone tells me they are from Ontario I just assume Toronto.

Keep in mind that r-comps will make more noise than street tires at highway speeds. They are made to grip and generally the manufacturers do not worry to much about noise. The R888 are fine on the highway with minimal noise. If you do decide you always want to drive on your r-comps then stay away from the Nitto NT-01. I had a set and they are so noisy on the highway that after an hour you want to blow your head off just to make the humming stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

R-comps sound like your car is 8 different ways of fvcked. Just a warning if you're trying to drive them on the street after they've been heat cycled...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I've used tire totes around my track set many times, and fit 275/255 setup before, without having the seats folder down. They'll fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
R-comps sound like your car is 8 different ways of fvcked. Just a warning if you're trying to drive them on the street after they've been heat cycled...

I just put on these tires this past weekend and holy smokes! you are right!..these are noisy tires! At first, I wasn't sure if the car was right or not...

The fronts from these used tires look very worn...there is little tread left...not sure if I should have them replaced before the trip

So the question evolves...for these tires (R888), what's the risk of running nearly bald tires? Will the performance be SERIOUSLY affected for a novice driver?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
Hairy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Black

Fronts take a lot of punishment on the track in these cars and wear down very quickly. Keep a careful eye on them throughout the weekend. As far as track performance without tread..... this is what we use to call, "getting down to the good stuff". Just more rubber on the road.

BUT Be very careful if it rains. I've been driving home from the track on bald track tires in wet weather... it's no fun and more scary than the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
As far as track performance without tread..... this is what we use to call, "getting down to the good stuff". Just more rubber on the road.

BUT Be very careful if it rains. I've been driving home from the track on bald track tires in wet weather... it's no fun and more scary than the track.
i agree on both counts.

i would point out that race tires behave this way, NOT street tires. you do not get more traction from street tires when they are bald.

if you bring your street tires and it starts raining, not only do you have a safer drive home, you can also run the track with your streets on and have a great time, while others who didn't bring street rubber (or don't feel like changing) are sitting around. some of the most fun track days i've had have been in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

You can put together a simple tire rack that mounts all 4 tires on your roof (you need the BMW base rack though). See my DIY here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423634
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Nice Jeremy! Love the Apex wheels, btw. I plan to run the same. You've been busy modding since we last chatted.
Appreciate 0