BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
How Many Types of Subframe Inserts from Whiteline?

After reading numerous threads on M3 bushings, Powerflex Poly bushings, and Whiteline / Powerflex inserts, I ultimately opted for the Whiteline inserts based on value. Whiteline inserts are supposedly same as Powerflex but a bit cheaper.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875885

After reading thread above, I assumed yellow Whiteline inserts (p/n KDT918) are the same as Powerflex yellow. In fact any vendor who offers this part number shows Yellow inserts as the product image (although that could just be generic picture). However the inserts I just received are BLACK. Thinking they must've sent me the harder race version, I looked back on the website but saw that my part number was correct and if anything, they only offer that one part number for our car. So I then checked the Whiteline website and see only 1 part number (KDT918) listed for our cars as well.

So I'm trying to figure out...

1) Did Whiteline (like Powerflex) offer 2 inserts but as of recently discontinued yellow inserts?
2) Or did Whiteline always offer only ONE insert in yellow, but they've changed the color to black?

The DIY clearly shows Yellow inserts which is why I'm confused. I'm thinking it may be the latter scenario because another member lists there are 3 inserts between the 2 companies in terms of rigidity:

Powerflex Yellow - 80A
Whiteline 85A -
Powerflex Black - 95A

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58247

I actually hope Whiteline only offers 1 variety to begin with and it's just now offered in black. 85A seems like it would be a good compromise between street/race while still giving the OEM black appearance so I won't get any hassle from my dealership.
      04-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

it's #1 due to them having to change factories but they said they were just going black to be low key.

i got black too and searched to find that answer.

http://whitelineus.com/fadetoblack/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

1) Did Whiteline (like Powerflex) offer 2 inserts but as of recently discontinued yellow inserts?
2) Or did Whiteline always offer only ONE insert in yellow, but they've changed the color to black?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
it's #1 due to them having to change factories but they said they were just going black to be low key.

i got black too and searched to find that answer.
Thanks so is the comment at the end about 3 different rigidities accurate, that the current black = 85A, or should I assume its equivalent to Powerflex black of 95A?
      04-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

no clue on that part as I only could find 1 whiteline insert part number.

i definitely can tell it made a difference on the rear end. way less loose when going over curves and bumps. no nvh.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
no clue on that part as I only could find 1 whiteline insert part number.

i definitely can tell it made a difference on the rear end. way less loose when going over curves and bumps. no nvh.
Perfect, that's all that really matters end of day.
      04-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

I also ordered a set several months ago and received black white line inserts. Planning to install them this summer, and I'm also concerned about nvh. My last experience with poly were on my e36 m3 with powerflex rtabs and lcabs. The rtabs were a bit stiffer in the rear but totally livable. The lcabs on the other hand were terribly harsh over any imperfections in the road y. I'm hoping that since these are inserts and the go in the subframe the nvh will be very low it nonexistent
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

I installed them a month ago and have had zero NVH issues. Just a more predictable turn in.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I bought mine from : http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...sp?prod=KDT918
This seller ships very quickly, it was at my door in 2 days. And yes, while originally they were supposed to be yellow, mine came in black.

Install took only two hours and I was taking my time, ensuring that I greased and torqued everything down properly.

There was no noticeable increase in NVH, and I am stock except for lowered on KW V1 & Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

You will love it. The up and down motions of the rear are much tighter, however the increase in stiffness side to side is noticeable but probably not as good as M3 bushings. However for the price, its good enough. I'll do solid subframe bushings once I get an LSD.

For the price & labor involved it can't be beat.
Appreciate 0