BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Got your 1 series within the past month?

This is for those of you that have got your 1 series within the past month or so.

I got my 135i on 7/3. It was built around 6/23 or 24.
It's a sweet machine as you already know.

My question:
The only quality issue I have with my 135i is the vertical shadowline trim pieces that are right between the rear of the side window and the front edge of the rear window. Perhaps it could be called the "B" pillar trim piece.

I had asked my dealer to not machine wash or wax my 135i, and they did not. When I got home, I looked my machine over and I noticed that the B pillar shadowline trim pieces on both sides, just the 2 vertical pieces, had a LOT of swirl marks on them. The rest of the trim all around the windows were perfectly clean, and smooth as new trim should be.
Those 2 pieces on each side of the car were not. At first I thought that maybe the detailing guys tried to clean them and used some crap that scratched them. But, it seems very odd that it that were true, that only those 2 pieces got done that way.

I took it to my CA and he and the repair shop manager both looked at them and agreed there was some odd with those pieces. They are ordering a new set for me. They don't know what happened either.

I'm wondering if perhaps this happened at the assembly plant?
Maybe there was a batch of them that got lightly scuffed up or something?
So, those of you that have shadowline trim and got your 1 recently, do you have/notice a lot of light swirl marks on your B pillar trim pieces?
I'm just curious to know if it really did happen at the factory.

It's not a big deal really as it's really tough to see if it's not really bright and sunny outside. If the sun doesn't hit it, you have to look very hard to find it. Once you see it though, it's quite obvious.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

i will be sure to inspect it later when i go look at it this evening after work. nobody touched my car when it came in other than the tech that did my PDI. i filled it with fuel and did the full detail myself at my house the next day after delivery. i did a sick detail...and the car looked flawless. however, in all my work, i did not look at those trim strips...but i will check tonight.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My 128 was built 07/08, and after a few washes I noticed swirls on those plastic pieces. I ignored it as it isn't that noticable, and maybe I am not as anal as others. The car still looks awesome and you can't see the swirls on the plastic trim unless you really look for them. I'm not sure if you have them replaced you won't see swirls on the new pieces, may be just a softer plastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23 View Post
My 128 was built 07/08, and after a few washes I noticed swirls on those plastic pieces. I ignored it as it isn't that noticable, and maybe I am not as anal as others. The car still looks awesome and you can't see the swirls on the plastic trim unless you really look for them. I'm not sure if you have them replaced you won't see swirls on the new pieces, may be just a softer plastic.
Correct, but, these swirls were there when I got the car, not after washing it.

Yes, it is subtle. But, again, this was on a new car.
For over $41k then, they should have let me choose NOT to have the shadowline trim, and I would have opted for the more durable aluminum.

Anyway, I was trying to see if maybe this was a "problem" from the factory. Do you see those same swirl marks on the rest of the shadow trim along the windows? Mine are perfect, no marks at all. Just on those pieces. They look to be made of the same material.
And, it wouldn't be due to softer plastic. The marks are on the finish not on the material itself. It could be that the finish isn't as good on those pieces, or it wasn't applied correctly.

The dealer ordered new pieces. I'll be heading in to see if the new pieces have the swirls too. I didn't ask them to replace them. It is very subtle.
But, they offered and wanted to do it, so ok, I'll take um.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
i will be sure to inspect it later when i go look at it this evening after work. nobody touched my car when it came in other than the tech that did my PDI. i filled it with fuel and did the full detail myself at my house the next day after delivery. i did a sick detail...and the car looked flawless. however, in all my work, i did not look at those trim strips...but i will check tonight.
have you posted pics of your car on this forum?
      07-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
have you posted pics of your car on this forum?
no. when i moved a month ago i misplaced my digital camera. i finally got a new on the other evening...but the rain has not subsided long enough after work for me to get a wash and pics taken.

my goal is to get it nice and clean again sunday. i wont have to do any wax or anything because i polished and waxed her upon delivery.

so yeah...pics are coming...but i can tell you...AMAZING!

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
no. when i moved a month ago i misplaced my digital camera. i finally got a new on the other evening...but the rain has not subsided long enough after work for me to get a wash and pics taken.

my goal is to get it nice and clean again sunday. i wont have to do any wax or anything because i polished and waxed her upon delivery.

so yeah...pics are coming...but i can tell you...AMAZING!
our cars are very similar... my options listed in sig
      07-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I picked up mine on 7/10. It's AW with the 6MT and M-Sport package. I don't see any swirl or other marks on that trim piece, even after looking close.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

[QUOTE=RPM90;5531342]Correct, but, these swirls were there when I got the car, not after washing it.

I don't recall seeing them at delivery. If that is the case, you may ask for some type of compensation or replacemnt. But again, I think if they weren't there before YOU washed it, they likely showed up after the car was washed during PDI.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep

[quote=turner23;5535470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Correct, but, these swirls were there when I got the car, not after washing it.

I don't recall seeing them at delivery. If that is the case, you may ask for some type of compensation or replacemnt. But again, I think if they weren't there before YOU washed it, they likely showed up after the car was washed during PDI.
I haven't washed the car yet. I do spray washes, and it's had one already. I do hand washing, but not often, and only once it's been through about 2-3 months of spray wash only. I spray wash about once every week or two. I'll be doing the virgin detail, hand wash, light clay, multiple sealer coats and wax this week.

As I said, the car was washed by hand one time by the dealer during prep. I asked them NOT to wax it, and no machine as they have one that they use for free washes anytime a customer wants one. Nice service, but not for those of us who are picky about how things should be washed.
My CA had them handwash not machine. They only used the wax/cleaner on the shipping "grease" to remove it.

The swirls are only on those 2 pieces.
If this was due to washing, then it should be normal and appear on all the trim, as it is the same trim. This isn't my first car, nor my first new car.
I do know what I'm looking at, in case you're wondering.

Yes, they ordered new pieces after seeing the car. They offered, I accepted. It's not that big of a deal or problem, and I don't see a reason for compensation really. There was no malice nor negligence here.

I'm just speculating that this happened at the factory.
I'll try and get a pict up so everyone can get a better idea of what I'm trying to describe. It's minor but obvious, hopefully I can get the right light and angle with the camera.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
I picked up mine on 7/10. It's AW with the 6MT and M-Sport package. I don't see any swirl or other marks on that trim piece, even after looking close.
Cool.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23 View Post
My 128 was built 07/08, and after a few washes I noticed swirls on those plastic pieces. I ignored it as it isn't that noticable, and maybe I am not as anal as others.
Do you have those same swirls on the other trim pieces?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Bobby c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW135i coupe

I got my car on 7/3 also, and no swirl marks.
Appreciate 0