BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
pcgeek86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 135is

Question 2013 135is - 14k miles - 2nd gear grinding

Hey folks,

I bought a Le Mans Blue 2013 (the only year) BMW 135is, with a 6-speed manual transmission, back in October 2013. It's a gorgeous car, and I love it, however I've been having a problem with the transmission. After several months of owning it, the 2nd gear started grinding whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd, or 3rd down to 2nd (to engine brake). It typically happens at higher RPMs, anything above 4000-4500. You don't have to even shift aggressively, only moderately quickly, to reproduce the symptoms.

For what it's worth, the clutch is definitely all the way down. I went out on a test drive with the dealership's service manager and my service advisor today, and they clearly saw the issue reproduced. A couple months back, I did a test drive with the shop foreman, and they were easily able to see the issue reproduced. They were closely watching what I was doing, and even BMW service personnel have tested it out and confirmed the problem.

A couple months back, the dealership replaced the transmission with a new one, and it seemed to help a little bit initially, however the problem came back in full force a couple weeks ago. I'm starting to encounter some resistance with getting this problem resolved once and for all. Any thoughts on the above?

My first two cars (about 12 years ago) were both manual transmissions, and I never had any problems like this with them. They were cheap, used cars, too. Both of them were Saturns, to be exact. In other words, I have plenty of experience driving manual transmissions. My friend has a 2008 BMW M3, and he was easily able to reproduce the issue this past weekend.

Cheers,
Trevor
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
does it happen in other gears as well? did they replace or check the clutch and flywheel as well?

you should post this in the 135 section so more people may be able to help you specifically for the 135is.

Last edited by IEDEI; 06-24-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
pcgeek86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 135is

Can an admin move this thread, or do I have to post a new one? I didn't realize I posted in the incorrect forum.

The problem does not exist in any other gears. Only second gear is affected. I don't believe they did anything with the clutch or the flywheel.

Cheers,
Trevor
Appreciate 0